Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Xmas holiday (manufacturing, Melbourne)

Xmas holiday (manufacturing, Melbourne)

Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:16 pm
Forum Regular

MUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really niceMUST LEAVE UK is just really nice
Default Xmas holiday (manufacturing, Melbourne)

Silly little thing the wife asked, I'd never though about until this time of year.

Being in the manufacturing industry. Here in the UK we are used to an almost 2 week shutdown over the festive period. Fully paid if you have saved enough days from your annual entitlement, plus bank holidays.

How does tis work in Melbourne in particular. Also I should ask how paid holiday per year works as well wile I'm at it. Here the legal minimum for a full time employee in my sector is 28 days per year (although that includes the 8 bank holidays)

Happy new year
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Xmas holiday (manufacturing, Melbourne)

20 days annual leave plus public holidays standard here - Many offices have Xmas shutdowns are you are made to take leave over Xmas period - whether you want to or not. Don't work in manufacturing, so maybe someone has better info than me, but in general a move to Oz from UK involves a drop in annual leave entitlements (in my case 10 days per year).
Old Jan 2nd 2011, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Xmas holiday (manufacturing, Melbourne)

Originally Posted by Chortlepuss
has better info than me, but in general a move to Oz from UK involves a drop in annual leave entitlements (in my case 10 days per year).
Not for people with the the same employer for 10 years or more it doesn't. 29 standard days plus public holidays for all of those in Permanent employment, Full and Part Time under the national award system, which covers the majority of (80 pct plus) workers.

It's called Long Service Leave and accrues at 9.3 days per year from the Tenth year onwards.

So once you hit your Tenth year of service, you get an Automatic 90 Calender day accruing benefit (at the afore mentioned 9.3 days per annum rate) added to your annual leave, which you can also take take at half pay over 180 days. IE: pay little or no tax on your income for those 180 days. We've got quite a few people at our employrment with over 300 days of LSL .... 30 year service people.

You dont have to take this leave and accrue it as Cash benefit when you leave that employer.

Another reason why Workchoices got blasted out of the water by voters here.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 2nd 2011 at 10:30 pm.