Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Xmas boooooooooring for newbie in Oz...?

Is Xmas boooooooooring for newbie in Oz...?

Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:41 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Is Xmas boooooooooring for newbie in Oz...?

Meet few people, couple of them UK..
But not from BE just some by chance some professionally..
I wonder, they will be working not talking a long leave. I mean if not given leave (by Govt.) they would work in office on Mon/ Tue as well
The expression was Chrstimas... so? hurriedly, Merry Christmas...

Are you all feeling its a boring christmas after you have come here...?
-Bart
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Xmas boooooooooring for newbie in Oz...?

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
Meet few people, couple of them UK..
But not from BE just some by chance some professionally..
I wonder, they will be working not talking a long leave. I mean if not given leave (by Govt.) they would work in office on Mon/ Tue as well
The expression was Chrstimas... so? hurriedly, Merry Christmas...

Are you all feeling its a boring christmas after you have come here...?
-Bart
Yeah, I find it a bit boring despites my attempts to try to do "stuff", but I have got really boring lately as I've been tired with pregnancy - I would have made more plans to see more of WA or have mates over if I had the energy.

I think for some migrants there's always that gap caused by old friends and family, for some of us hearing everyone go on about their plans with their wonderful families can stab the heart a bit.

I think it must be much worse for those who have been bereaved or separated, I think it's that time of year when we need to look around us and see if there are lonely people who could be invited back etc, keep an eye on elderly neighbours, give a bit to the poor and those less fortunate than ourselves. That's really what xmas is about.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 2:58 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

It doesnt have to be boring unless you choose to make it that way.

We are new to Sydney and therefore don't really know anyone. My husband is working christmas day, so, instead of sitting here on my backside feeling lonesome i shall be helping gout the salvos at their homeless peoples christmas dinner. I'm actually looking forward to it!!
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
It doesnt have to be boring unless you choose to make it that way.

We are new to Sydney and therefore don't really know anyone. My husband is working christmas day, so, instead of sitting here on my backside feeling lonesome i shall be helping gout the salvos at their homeless peoples christmas dinner. I'm actually looking forward to it!!
Good on you.

WW
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Life is only ever Boooooorrring if you let it be (or if you are a Boooorrring person )

For Linda: Well done on sharing your xmas day with those less fortunate than ourselves.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 9:38 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

OK, maybe I'm a boring person! But...there were only three of us in the pub this afternoon (2.30) - Brit, Irish, & NZ, the Aussies had all gone home. Am now facing my third Christmas here, with a family who don't want to go beyond the front door for the next 10 days and who are already at each others throats because they hate the heat (they are all Qlders BTW). Thank god for a good boss who has given me work to bring home!!!
I would love - seafood for Xmas dinner, but the MIL says the sight of it makes her sick
- Xmas visit to the beach - but the Qlders say its too hot and too boring
- swimming - but we can't afford a pool

I think I would actually enjoy Xmas more if doing something like helping homeless people, but that would alienate The Blokes family even more - they just wouldn't understand the thought behind it.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 10:57 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanx for that. Not really looking for praise but its appreciated. Just thought i'd offer an alternative way to spend christmas if you dont have family to consider.

Hope you all have a great time wherever you are and who ever you with
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 11:38 am
Banned

menace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud ofmenace has much to be proud of

This is our third xmas here and boy is it totally weird to have xmas day in the sun, this years expected temperature is 38C!!! :scared:

We have spent enough time driving around in circles trying to get a parking space down at garden city this arvo, it must be xmas. Apart from that it does not feel too christmassy, too hot and no pool.
Old Dec 23rd 2005, 12:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
OK, maybe I'm a boring person! But...there were only three of us in the pub this afternoon (2.30) - Brit, Irish, & NZ, the Aussies had all gone home. Am now facing my third Christmas here, with a family who don't want to go beyond the front door for the next 10 days and who are already at each others throats because they hate the heat (they are all Qlders BTW). Thank god for a good boss who has given me work to bring home!!!
I would love - seafood for Xmas dinner, but the MIL says the sight of it makes her sick
- Xmas visit to the beach - but the Qlders say its too hot and too boring
- swimming - but we can't afford a pool

I think I would actually enjoy Xmas more if doing something like helping homeless people, but that would alienate The Blokes family even more - they just wouldn't understand the thought behind it.
Sounds just like last year! Can't you duck out and pretend you've been abducted by chipmunks or something!!!
Tried to give you xmas karma but I'm not allowed too
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:23 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Larissa
Yeah, I find it a bit boring despites my attempts to try to do "stuff", but I have got really boring lately as I've been tired with pregnancy - I would have made more plans to see more of WA or have mates over if I had the energy.

I think for some migrants there's always that gap caused by old friends and family, for some of us hearing everyone go on about their plans with their wonderful families can stab the heart a bit.

I think it must be much worse for those who have been bereaved or separated, I think it's that time of year when we need to look around us and see if there are lonely people who could be invited back etc, keep an eye on elderly neighbours, give a bit to the poor and those less fortunate than ourselves. That's really what xmas is about.
I am with you on your comments except: I've been tired with pregnancy!!!
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:28 am
Nos De Caraid...

Ok let me tell you what I did on Christmas...
I thought there will be less rush at Beaches and wanted to do some hiking as well...
Beaches were crowded as usual.
Did a bit hiking at ranges found ok. But I saw people were there too.. I guess their own family... Shying from Christmas and crowd..
Utimately realised, Christmas was an excuse to be with family and escape from noise (of TV) and commotion ( of work and commute)

God Bless Christmas.
And I thought Christmas was an excuse to get together with friends and near and dear ones...!

- Bart
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:44 am
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Ok let me tell you what I did on Christmas...
I thought there will be less rush at Beaches and wanted to do some hiking as well...
Beaches were crowded as usual.
Did a bit hiking at ranges found ok. But I saw people were there too.. I guess their own family... Shying from Christmas and crowd..
Utimately realised, Christmas was an excuse to be with family and escape from noise (of TV) and commotion ( of work and commute)
God Bless Christmas.
And I thought Christmas was an excuse to get together with friends and near and dear ones...!
- Bart
Glad to hear you had a good christmas.
Old Dec 28th 2005, 3:56 am
Nos De Caraid...

Originally Posted by steandleigh
Glad to hear you had a good christmas.
Actually you cant say it was good christmas...
It was still boring... I did not find the spirit of the season, why dont ask me... I feel it has to come from within...
You can say home sickness, dipression, pessimism, psychology'caly down... etc etc...

Its all ok...
Good Luck when are you coming?
- Bart
Old Dec 28th 2005, 4:29 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold

My Christmas was certainly helped by taking a few dips in the paddling pool to cool down. It is a good size one. We don't have a swimming pool either. I would certainly reccommend getting a paddling pool as it has been a real life saver for me this past while. Before we got it I found the hot weather unbearable.

Katie
Old Dec 28th 2005, 6:36 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

You can say home sickness, dipression, pessimism, psychology'caly down... etc etc...
psychology'caly is definitely a new one on me.

But feel free to say it

ADL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.