Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Xmas Advent Calendars

Xmas Advent Calendars

Old Nov 4th 2003, 2:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Xmas Advent Calendars

Last year, I was unable to find advent calendars anywhere, something they don't have here it seems. The kids' friends didn't seem to know what we were talking about when we asked them. Is this peculiar to WA or something you don't have over East either? My best friend (in the UK) has just posted one to us, it arrived this morning. If you're arriving as new migrants any time over the next few weeks and have small kids, make sure you bring yours with you!!
Old Nov 4th 2003, 3:38 am
Can't re member

welshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nicewelshpom is just really nice
Default Re: Xmas Advent Calendars

Originally posted by Jacqui
Last year, I was unable to find advent calendars anywhere, something they don't have here it seems.
I bought one in K-mart at Mt Barker in South Australia last week. It's a Bob the Builder one for my nephew. They had another 4 or 5 types to choose from.

I saw another advent calendar at Woolworths at the weekend. So they do sell them around here.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 4:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

Saw choccie ones in Coles in Perth at the weekend too.

Loopy
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Sunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the roughSunlover is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Xmas Advent Calendars

Originally posted by Jacqui
Last year, I was unable to find advent calendars anywhere, something they don't have here it seems. The kids' friends didn't seem to know what we were talking about when we asked them. Is this peculiar to WA or something you don't have over East either? My best friend (in the UK) has just posted one to us, it arrived this morning. If you're arriving as new migrants any time over the next few weeks and have small kids, make sure you bring yours with you!!
I bought a chocolate Advent Calendar at Coles in Burnside (Adelaide, Australia) last week.
Old Nov 4th 2003, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

BBBAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH Bloody HUMBUG!!!

Old Nov 4th 2003, 11:43 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Yep, I've seen them here too. In the supermarkets, K-Mart, Big W, Target and all the others.
My mum posted us one out though, maybe the chocolate will melt quicker than if we had bought one here?
Old Nov 5th 2003, 12:30 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point

We bought Mr. Kiplings mince pies from coles last week. reminded me of home, they didn't last long when we got them back.

We usually struggle to keep all the chocolate in the advent calender to last the duration, and we don't have any kids!!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 12:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin
We bought Mr. Kiplings mince pies from coles last week. reminded me of home, they didn't last long when we got them back.

We usually struggle to keep all the chocolate in the advent calender to last the duration, and we don't have any kids!!
Is Mr Kiplings an English thing? Didnt know that, we get alot of that brand over here.

You can get advent calendars with chocolates here, never bothered myself, seems a waste of time to have them - would have to keep them in the fridge here in Brisbane LOL.
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:07 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
Is Mr Kiplings an English thing? Didnt know that, we get alot of that brand over here.

You can get advent calendars with chocolates here, never bothered myself, seems a waste of time to have them - would have to keep them in the fridge here in Brisbane LOL.
Mr. Kipling range launched in London May 1967, part of Ranks Hovis McDougall bakeries
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:10 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanx for that Donna, as I said we get quite a few of their products here in the supermarkets in Qld at least, also quite a few of the Hovis biscuits & stuff as well .
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:22 am
Good to be back in UK

Thanx for that Donna, as I said we get quite a few of their products here in the supermarkets in Qld at least, also quite a few of the Hovis biscuits & stuff as well .
THE HOVIS ADVERT (Parody)
by
Tony Capstick

I'll never forget that first day at t'pit.
Me an' mi father worked a 72 hour shift, then wi walked home 43 mile through t'snow in us bare feet, huddled inside us clothes med out o' old sacks.
Eventually we trudged over t'hill until wi could see t'street light twinklin' in our village.
Mi father smiled down at mi through t'icicles hangin' off his nose. "Nearly home now lad", he said.
We stumbled into t'house and stood there freezin' cold and tired out, shiverin' and miserable, in front o' t' meagre fire.
Any road, mi mam says "Cheer up, lads. I've got you some nice brown bread and butter for yer tea."
Ee, mi father went crackers. He reached out and gently pulled mi mam towards 'im by t'throat. "You big fat, idle ugly wart", he said. "You gret useless spawny-eyed parrot-faced wazzock." ('E had a way wi words, mi father. He'd bin to college, y'know). "You've been out playin' bingo all afternoon instead o' gettin' some proper snap ready for me an' this lad", he explained to mi poor, little, purple-faced mam.
Then turnin' to me he said "Arthur", (He could never remember mi name), "here's half a crown. Nip down to t'chip 'oyl an' get us a nice piece o' 'addock for us tea. Man cannot live by bread alone."
He were a reyt tater, mi father.
He said as 'ow workin' folk should have some dignity an' pride an' self respect, an' as 'ow they should come home to summat warm an' cheerful.
An' then he threw mi mam on t'fire.
We didn't 'ave no tellies or shoes or bedclothes.
We med us own fun in them days.
Do you know, when I were a lad you could get a tram down into t'town, buy three new suits an' an ovvercoat, four pair o' good boots, go an' see George Formby at t'Palace Theatre, get blind drunk, 'ave some steak an' chips, bunch o' bananas an' three stone o' monkey nuts an' still 'ave change out of a farthing.
We'd lots o' things in them days they 'aven't got today - rickets, diptheria, Hitler and my, we did look well goin' to school wi' no backside in us trousers an' all us little 'eads painted purple because we 'ad ringworm.
They don't know they're born today!!!
Old Nov 5th 2003, 1:26 am
Good to be back in UK

Although I am relatively young, we grew up in an impoverished inner city, outside loos, tin baths, coal shutes, mangles, no hot water. All of these are nice memories.

We lived around the corner from Woods bakery, just a little shop and Mr. Woods used to bake mini hovis loaves that could fit into a small childs hands, I can remember we used to eat a buttered mini hovis, hot from the bakery on our way to school (early 70's).

Poor little street urchin was I
Old Nov 11th 2003, 3:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe it! Just back from the shops, with an advent calendar for each of my kids, complete with choccies! We traipsed high and low looking for them this time last year! The selection wasn't all that brilliant, but the kids will be pleased none the less. It will be interesting to see how many visiting kids ask us to explain what they are when we put them up in December, seeing as they didn't seem to know what they were when we asked them last year.