Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

X-Rays to post or not?

X-Rays to post or not?

Old Jun 8th 2002, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough
Default X-Rays to post or not?

Hello
We are sure this question has been asked before but we can't find the relevant thread so we thought we would start a new one.
We had our medicals on Thursday and we are a bit confused as to whether we need to send the x-ray with the medical (bearing in mind the size of them). Our doctor told us not to, but just to take them with us when we move over to Australia.
Looking at the letter requesting the medicals it says to send them, also looking at the timeline a few people have been recently requested to send the originals.
Can anyone who has already gone through the process please advise.
Thanks in advance
Paul & Annie
Old Jun 8th 2002, 11:34 am
col
BE Enthusiast

col is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: X-Rays to post or not?

Hi paul & annie

SEND EM!

For the extra postage it is well worth the offset of time delayed if you don't and they request them.
If they don't need them it won't matter you just lose a frameable picture of your insides!!!
Old Jun 8th 2002, 3:05 pm
Forum Regular

Claire is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I agree with Col. We didn't send ours to AHC in London and fortunately they we not requested. However, there have been postings in the past from people who didn't sent them only to have them requested later wasting valuble time!

Good luck
Claire
xx
Old Jun 9th 2002, 11:20 am
George Lombard

Hi Kango,

The rule is to do whatever Adelaide asks you to do. And if they asked for the x-rays
(which they are now doing routinely) you should send them. The doctors in the UK
would mostly be unaware of this new procedure.

Cheers

George Lombard

www.austimmigration.com.au kango_jack wrote in message
<[email protected]>...
    >Hello We are sure this question has been asked before but we can't find the relevant
    >thread so we thought we would start a new one. We had our medicals on Thursday and
    >we are a bit confused as to whether we need to send the x-ray with the medical
    >(bearing in mind the size of them). Our doctor told us not to, but just to take them
    >with us when we move over to Australia. Looking at the letter requesting the
    >medicals it says to send them, also looking at the timeline a few people have been
    >recently requested to send the originals. Can anyone who has already gone through
    >the process please advise. Thanks in advance Paul & Annie
    >
    >
    >
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Jun 9th 2002, 4:33 pm
Squeaking Member

Anon E Mouse is on a distinguished road

We sent ours (the doc told us to send mine so we just put them both in for good measure) Shame, 'cos I wanted to frame mine....Kinda sad I know but hey...

Handy tip - Go to an art shop, get some cheap grey "backing" card (not mount board but the stuff you stick on the back of a piccy frame - if you're in the SE, the art shop at Bluewater stocks this in decent sized sheets) - should cost you about 2 quid per sheet. Then get lots of brown paper, or if you're feeling funky, some colored stuff (we used silver!) and make your self a nice XRay sized, non-bendy, postman proof envelope.....Otherwise, you'll get *real* strange looks when you walk into WHSmiths with a pair of XRays and say "Got anything we can send these to Oz in....?" Not that that happened to us of course :-)

Mouse.
Old Jun 10th 2002, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

kango_jack will become famous soon enoughkango_jack will become famous soon enough

Thanks Mouse.
We have been pondering over the weekend just how we are going to send the x-rays as our local Staples doesn't stock anything big enough to send them in. We had come to the same conclusion about the card, so Annie is off today to get the supplies.
Out of interest who did you send your x-rays with? we are on a really tight deadline as the earliest we can pick up the blood tests is Thursday 13th June and our deadline for arriving in Adelaide is 21st (the following Friday).
Paul & Annie
Old Jun 10th 2002, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

Norm is an unknown quantity at this point

We used a cardboard tube we bought in a post office. They're meant for sending large prints etc and were ideal for sending the xrays. Sent them recorded delivery and had no problems but would probably recommend courier for peace of mind.

Norm.
Old Jun 10th 2002, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

shamer is an unknown quantity at this point

I was told by my doc not to send original x-rays, but then asked to do so by Adelaide, wasting I don’t care to think how much time. Defiantly send them or prepair for a longer wait.

Shamer
Old Jun 10th 2002, 9:37 pm
Squeaking Member

Originally posted by Norm
....Sent them recorded delivery and had no problems but would probably recommend courier for peace of mind.

Norm.
We sent them (and everything else we've sent) international registered with advice of delivery - later to find out that the "registered" bit only applies 'til up until the post is put on the plane at Heathrow....

Oh BTW, the bloke in the PO did argue about the advice thingy "Oz is the only country that doesn't to that guv" until I told him that we'd already sent loads of stuf exactly the same way. Mind you, it took three weeks for the advice to come back which did make us panic a bit.

I think DHL wanted vast amounts (was it as much as 70.00???) which is why we ended up with the PO.

Anon.
Old Jun 10th 2002, 10:01 pm
Squeaking Member

Originally posted by kango_jack
Thanks Mouse.

....our deadline for arriving in Adelaide is 21st (the following Friday).
Paul & Annie
We just thought that you meant *you* have to arrive by next Fri!! And we thought we're working to tight times (we only got 6 months instead of 12 for inital entry....) Of course, you're talking about the medicals right?

Our's took 6 working days by reg post.

Anon.
Old Jun 11th 2002, 6:58 pm
Forum Regular

Yes we meant the medicals!!!
We are having DHL collect the documents on Friday morning with delivery to Adelaide on Tuesday - not too bad a price of £35 door to door for an A2 sized package.
Paul & Annie