Reload this Page >

X-Box, DVD, Videos

X-Box, DVD, Videos

Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:24 pm
Just Joined

LissyP is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile X-Box, DVD, Videos

Hi

Can anyone tell me if it is worth bringing these things over to Aus?

Will they work there - subject to a change of plug?

Can games etc for X Box be bought there?

Will videos & DVD players need retuning or whatever?

Cheers
Old Oct 14th 2003, 2:31 pm
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future
Default Re: X-Box, DVD, Videos

Hi Lissy,

Australia use the PAL system which we use in the UK, so your VHS tapes should work OK, and your VCR should to.

Australia is Region 4 for DVD, so any DVDs you have purchased over here (Region 2) won't work on an Australian DVD player. You will need to "doctor" the region on the DVD player so that it can play any region. This is fairly simple to do, but usually invalidates the warranty on the player.

Don't know about x-Box - I'd assume it will work OK if it works on a PAL TV over here, as Australia use the PAL format as well.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:15 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

i'm sorry to contradict here but i think you'll find the pal system is different from here to there. ie a uk tv wont tune in to auz pal signal... or something like that. Have a search through past threads there's been loads of info about it.

if you buy an auz video, you can then connect it to your uk tv however, as long as you use a scart lead and not an RF lead.

the region info is correct though.

Originally posted by Budgie
Hi Lissy,

Australia use the PAL system which we use in the UK, so your VHS tapes should work OK, and your VCR should to.

Australia is Region 4 for DVD, so any DVDs you have purchased over here (Region 2) won't work on an Australian DVD player. You will need to "doctor" the region on the DVD player so that it can play any region. This is fairly simple to do, but usually invalidates the warranty on the player.

Don't know about x-Box - I'd assume it will work OK if it works on a PAL TV over here, as Australia use the PAL format as well.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:29 pm
Forum Regular

mikel is an unknown quantity at this point

Aus uses PAL B-G, UK uses PAL I, these are different in that the sound is offset from the main carrier at a different frequency, therefore anything that plugs into the arial socket on a tele in the UK will not work in the arial socket in Aus (a small tuning of filters on the TV can somtimes be made but is proberly not practical on any cheaper non main brand TV).
Anything that plugs into the SCART or AV sockets will work.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:30 pm
Feathered Member

Budgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant futureBudgie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by scutterUK
i'm sorry to contradict here but i think you'll find the pal system is different from here to there. ie a uk tv wont tune in to auz pal signal... or something like that. Have a search through past threads there's been loads of info about it.

if you buy an auz video, you can then connect it to your uk tv however, as long as you use a scart lead and not an RF lead.

the region info is correct though.

Lissys question was whether she should bring over her videos, so the answer to that is a definite yes.

If you take a TV over, however, then that doesn't work because you don't get any sound.
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Well excuse me then!!!!!!!
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:37 pm
Bubble blowing member

ohsohopeful is an unknown quantity at this point

I heard that newer TVs with dual tuners in them will work OK as they can be retuned?
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:53 pm
Feathered Member

Originally posted by mikel
Well excuse me then!!!!!!!

mikel, I wasn't responding to you - no offence to anyone intended!
Old Oct 14th 2003, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

sorry
Old Oct 14th 2003, 4:10 pm
Feathered Member

no worries!
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:34 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by Budgie
Lissys question was whether she should bring over her videos, so the answer to that is a definite yes.

If you take a TV over, however, then that doesn't work because you don't get any sound.
yup you're right.. she did didn't she.

i thought she was asking if a video player would work over there. to which the answer would be yes to play uk videos with. As far as i understood it though, it wouldn't be able to record anything off aus tv. as mikel says it's the old pal b-g issue again.

my mistake.

leigh
Old Oct 14th 2003, 5:40 pm
life begins again...

thinking about it, do uk video tapes play in aus video recorders? i know uk vids aren't compatible to record from aus tv. dvd's are a different ball game as you rightly say. a lot of dvd players can be 'hacked' to enable multi region compatiblity. not sure as far as playing vidoes go though.

oh there i go i've gone and got confused again! it's all pictures to me!