Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wynnum/Manly/Lota Area Good, Bad, Ugly?

Wynnum/Manly/Lota Area Good, Bad, Ugly?

Old Jan 20th 2008, 10:20 pm
Banned

forkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Wynnum/Manly/Lota Area Good, Bad, Ugly?

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
But then im a country boy at heart.
Thats it though, you Tile Hill Village lads understood what a cow pac was and where it came from?

Me i am an Holbrooks lad, could not tell the difference between a Cortina and a Cow?

Last edited by forkandknife; Jan 20th 2008 at 10:26 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 4:50 am
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Dont be put off about Wynnum, manly, Lota, they dont have beaches as such and do have Mangroves but are certainly not swamps?? A defo no crocs! We do have a couple os small sandy spots along here and the sea is tidal. Also we are not in any flight paths from the airport...another bonus
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 5:21 am
BE Enthusiast

supersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to allsupersonic4 is a name known to all

Hi I live at Victoria Point and go to Ipswich to se my kids fairly often,the drive takes about 50mins ,longer if you go at peak times, but if you are on about Boeing they are at Amberley I think, which is a little futher out maybe 5- 10 mins extra.
Cheers Lorri
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:36 am
Banned

forkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the roughforkandknife is a jewel in the rough

Cheers for the help!

I have another area in mind now Cleveland. I suppose my next question is, what kind of holiday lets are available in either the Wynnum, Manly, Lota area or the Cleveland area? Was looking at staying in the Redcliffe area, but maybe look a little closer to these areas now. Any recommendations based on experiences?

Cheers.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:32 pm
Forum Regular

muffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant future

Hi there ... I live in Cleveland ... currently commute into CBD ... fast trains (eg the 6.31) take just under 50 mins, normally it's between 55 - 60 mins, got the bus once or twice ... much the same. Have only driven in a couple of times but leaving about 6.45 got me into the office just after 7.30 but the cost of parking all day is about $30 ... by the way a monthly season ticket on the train / bus is $147

Cleveland has got plenty pubs though naturally I've never been in the Sands, Icon, Hogs Breath, Grand View, Lighthouse, Bowls or Rsl clubs or at least not since Sunday ... Further up the road there's Dicey Rileys / Finnegans Chin ... couple of half decent places in Manly to drink and apparently the yacht club is good but I've not been

Some good restaurants as well Icon, Noci, Azu, Hogs Breath round the harbour plus a number of Thai / Indian / Chinese around the centre and more coffee shops than you could shake a latte at ... good selection of shops as well

Hope that helps ... David
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by muffinoz
Hi there ... I live in Cleveland ... currently commute into CBD ... fast trains (eg the 6.31) take just under 50 mins, normally it's between 55 - 60 mins, got the bus once or twice ... much the same. Have only driven in a couple of times but leaving about 6.45 got me into the office just after 7.30 but the cost of parking all day is about $30 ... by the way a monthly season ticket on the train / bus is $147

Cleveland has got plenty pubs though naturally I've never been in the Sands, Icon, Hogs Breath, Grand View, Lighthouse, Bowls or Rsl clubs or at least not since Sunday ... Further up the road there's Dicey Rileys / Finnegans Chin ... couple of half decent places in Manly to drink and apparently the yacht club is good but I've not been

Some good restaurants as well Icon, Noci, Azu, Hogs Breath round the harbour plus a number of Thai / Indian / Chinese around the centre and more coffee shops than you could shake a latte at ... good selection of shops as well

Hope that helps ... David
What about THE PIT at Alex hills ? Or have you not been there either ?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 8:22 am
Forum Regular

muffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant futuremuffinoz has a brilliant future

No ... Not been to the Alex ... though my 21 year old son has and he has apparently found some transitory satisfaction with what was there for the picking ...
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 11:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Location: north east england to south east queensland(cleveland in fact )WE WON THE CUP
bobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond reputebobbyftm has a reputation beyond repute

No ... Not been to the Alex ... though my 21 year old son has and he has apparently found some transitory satisfaction with what was there for the picking ...
Always thought it was a respectable place myself Must have another look
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 2:10 pm
Banned

Cleveland has got plenty pubs though naturally I've never been in the Sands, Icon, Hogs Breath, Grand View, Lighthouse, Bowls or Rsl clubs or at least not since Sunday ... Further up the road there's Dicey Rileys / Finnegans Chin ... couple of half decent places in Manly to drink and apparently the yacht club is good but I've not been.David
Cheers mate, nice one Seems a very quiet place then, nothing happening?
Old Jan 25th 2008, 6:26 am
"Im no genuis or are I"?

bloomers will become famous soon enough

Hi guys we live in Birkdale and close to the railway station. The trains are cheap and clean and above all a seat for all and normally on time. That same service terminates at Cleveland. Places you should consider are Capalaba (which I have been informed means "Kangaroo" to us and "I dunno"? in Aboriginal, due to a white settler asking a local what that jumping thing was and the local dude said "Capalaba").

Anyway I digress (talking bollocks) Birkdale is nice, Wellington point (wellie and is stunning IMO) Ormiston (next to cleveland) and of course Cleveland. which in my opinion is nice and has pretty much anything you need including quick ferry trips to Stradbrooke Island (gorgeous).

The Finucane/Old Cleveland road services pretty much all these areas to the city, however check your map and you will see the Wynnum road does too but can be very cluttered as that are building like buggery there.

These areas are known as the Redlands and we have oodles of water (courtsey of Straddie island) and only level 2 waters restrictions apply. whereas Wynnum area well there lucky to be able to drink! (level 6)

hope that helps?

Mark

Last edited by bloomers; Jan 25th 2008 at 6:29 am.
Old Jan 25th 2008, 10:04 pm
Enjoying the good life!

SarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud ofSarahJane2007 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by bloomers
Hi guys we live in Birkdale and close to the railway station. The trains are cheap and clean and above all a seat for all and normally on time. That same service terminates at Cleveland. Places you should consider are Capalaba (which I have been informed means "Kangaroo" to us and "I dunno"? in Aboriginal, due to a white settler asking a local what that jumping thing was and the local dude said "Capalaba").

Anyway I digress (talking bollocks) Birkdale is nice, Wellington point (wellie and is stunning IMO) Ormiston (next to cleveland) and of course Cleveland. which in my opinion is nice and has pretty much anything you need including quick ferry trips to Stradbrooke Island (gorgeous).

The Finucane/Old Cleveland road services pretty much all these areas to the city, however check your map and you will see the Wynnum road does too but can be very cluttered as that are building like buggery there.

These areas are known as the Redlands and we have oodles of water (courtsey of Straddie island) and only level 2 waters restrictions apply. whereas Wynnum area well there lucky to be able to drink! (level 6)

hope that helps?

Mark
Hya mark, we live in Lota at the minute and are moving to birkdale soon and have just sorted out the children into schools in Wellington Point. How long have you been over here and do you have children? sarah
Old Jan 27th 2008, 12:56 am

Kelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond reputeKelli28 has a reputation beyond repute

IMO i'd live in regional queensland walk to work and the beach
we used to live in birkdale and you had to take the car out for everything even to walk the dog!!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 1:43 am
Banned

http://www.seqrents.com.au/ct/index.htm

Set in a quiet residential street next to parklands
10-15 minute walk to Cleveland shops, banks, Hotels and restaurants
Raby Bay Marina and boat launching facilities nearby

Above is a link to a townhouse/cottage type holiday type Butlins complex in OZ, or something along those lines without the entertainment, i think?

I am looking for some good quality, nice and quiet, near the pubs/cafes, two bedroomed holiday place to stay sometime between March and July for three weeks?

I was wondering has anyone stayed in this place link above, or can anyone comment on the position of it relative to everything that is going on in Cleveland? If it is not too good, anyone care to comment on something that is good, based on personal experiences?

Cheers!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:21 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by forkandknife
http://www.seqrents.com.au/ct/index.htm

Set in a quiet residential street next to parklands
10-15 minute walk to Cleveland shops, banks, Hotels and restaurants
Raby Bay Marina and boat launching facilities nearby

Above is a link to a townhouse/cottage type holiday type Butlins complex in OZ, or something along those lines without the entertainment, i think?

I am looking for some good quality, nice and quiet, near the pubs/cafes, two bedroomed holiday place to stay sometime between March and July for three weeks?

I was wondering has anyone stayed in this place link above, or can anyone comment on the position of it relative to everything that is going on in Cleveland? If it is not too good, anyone care to comment on something that is good, based on personal experiences?

Cheers!
That's not a Butlins type holiday complex. It's just in a normal complex of housing - consisting of a mix of one and two-storey apartments and townhouses. Within the complex is a pool etc that all the residents can use.
You'll find that some of the apartments are lived in by their owners, some will be owned by investors and rented out to long-term renters and others (like the seqrents ones) are short-term lets. It's nothing like Butlins!
Old Jan 27th 2008, 2:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by NickyC
That's not a Butlins type holiday complex. It's just in a normal complex of housing - consisting of a mix of one and two-storey apartments and townhouses. Within the complex is a pool etc that all the residents can use.
You'll find that some of the apartments are lived in by their owners, some will be owned by investors and rented out to long-term renters and others (like the seqrents ones) are short-term lets. It's nothing like Butlins!
Never mind, i still like it though, i will give them a ring, see what they say, i did used to like Butlins though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.