Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wrong forum but I need a quick answer.

Wrong forum but I need a quick answer.

Old Sep 21st 2003, 11:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Wrong forum but I need a quick answer.

2 OZ mates are coming to UKers with us in Nov.

Promised to help them book cars hotels, which I dont usually do as I lob in on relatives and steal their cars.

So what are travelinn hotels like, 75 quid for a room in central london sounds cheap? any better suggestions.

Car hire, small 4 door sedan, $75 a day hertz, would they get cheaper.

I am supposed to have sorted this out ages ago, now they are panicking they will be in a cardboard box under London bridge.

Any quick suggestions appreciated.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

Hi Dotty,

It depends wheher they need to be right in the middle of the city. If they want to go out ust a little way, i know that there is a place called travel lodge in Heston, which is just off M4 between Heathrow airport and Earls Court. They would be quite a bit cheaper and the rooms are nice.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 11:24 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on how much they want to pay per day - Easy Jet has a rental side of operations - Easy Car! Worth Checking - have to put up with big orange stickers for cheaper price.

London hotels, how much do they want to move around and/or be in the centre of things - cause most hotels do internet booking for a fraction of the cost of walk in but obviously you need regular internet access. Travel Inns are fine - have you got the name of the hotel - how central is it? Is 75 quid per person or per room? Per room for a double sounds reasonable.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 11:31 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

www.travelodge.co.uk
They are decent rooms and reasonably cheap. The idea of staying out near Heathrow is good - can get the tube into London and the hotels will be cheaper. Big problem now if they stay in central London with a car would be paying Livingstones wonderful congestion charge - don't take the car into the centre if you can help it.
Car rental charge sounds about right - depends how long they are here though. The Bloke and I found it cheaper to buy a car as he was here for over a month - then sold it again, and recouped most of the outlay.
Old Sep 21st 2003, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

They want to be in central london, so the travelinn was in Euston so it seemed reasonably priced? Euston is a bit druggy tho is it not?

Car was to tour around for 2 weeks, price I got is renting from OZ about 37 pound a day, just wonder if they would do better there.

Scary thought that its nearly October then its we are going next month, I am not organised even for us.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 12:34 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Check out www.easyrentacar.com for cheap car hire about 8 pounds a day. There are milegae restrictions (75 miles a day free then you pay per mile) .

Also you can't do one way rentals which can be a pain.

The only choice of car is a Mercedes A Class
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 12:42 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Euston is not too bad as it is a busy area. It does have its problems but be sensible and they'll be fine. It is very well located for the tube with easy access to both branches of the Northern line and also the circle line. If they are energetic a lot of the sites are within walking distance.

Being out at Heathrow it would take 45 mins just to get into London. The express is quicker but they'll be skint by the time they get in.

For food they can pop up the tube to Islington and they have a street full of cafes and restaurants.
Old Sep 22nd 2003, 1:26 am
Forum Regular

smithone is an unknown quantity at this point

Agee that Euston is not the best part of London but well located for tube travel.

I wouldn't plan on having a car during their time in central London. Parking is expensive, you now have the congestion charge and the tube is quick, smelly and generally reliable. Buses are a great way to travel around London.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 9:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Atticus will become famous soon enough

try www.hotelconnections.co.uk - they do deals with hotels so that rooms are used up can get centrally located hotels for pretty reasonable amount.

Good luck
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

lynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant futurelynnj has a brilliant future

Hi Dotty

as an ex travel agent i'd use www.superbreak.co.uk prices start from around £35pp b&b depending on where in london you want to be they also sometimes do special deals stay x no of nights get 1 free and that sort of thing, only problem you have to book and pay in advance and there are cancellation penalties.

For cars, easycar is def the cheapest if you beek far enough in advance, the limited milage can be a prob if you are doing a lot of driving try www.alamo.co.uk prices start at around £130 per week fully inclusive for something small.

My other suggestion would be to check with your airline if they have any stopover packages, these can often work out the cheapest and they should have special rates with the car hire companies too. It also gives you a safety factor of if your flight is delayed and you miss a nights accom then you dont have to worry about it.

Lynn
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 4:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

tinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud oftinaj has much to be proud of

There is a Travelodge in Putney SW London which is either £70 W/e or £75 week for a double room. It is very central and opposite Putney Bridge station. Putney is a great place to stay lots of restaurants etc and quite trendy.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 6:47 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Wrong forum but I need a quick answer.

Originally posted by dotty
2 OZ mates are coming to UKers with us in Nov.

Promised to help them book cars hotels, which I dont usually do as I lob in on relatives and steal their cars.

So what are travelinn hotels like, 75 quid for a room in central london sounds cheap? any better suggestions.

Car hire, small 4 door sedan, $75 a day hertz, would they get cheaper.

I am supposed to have sorted this out ages ago, now they are panicking they will be in a cardboard box under London bridge.

Any quick suggestions appreciated.
Just type 'London hotels' into a google search. You can get 5 star centrally located hotels for £80 per night sometimes; rack rate normally about £200-£250.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

r.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant futurer.bartlett has a brilliant future

http://www.easy-london-hotels.com/

usually has some good deals going..

cheers

richard
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 8:31 pm
too busy to work members

yafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really niceyafm is just really nice

Originally posted by Sandra
Depends on how much they want to pay per day - Easy Jet has a rental side of operations - Easy Car! Worth Checking - have to put up with big orange stickers for cheaper price.

London hotels, how much do they want to move around and/or be in the centre of things - cause most hotels do internet booking for a fraction of the cost of walk in but obviously you need regular internet access. Travel Inns are fine - have you got the name of the hotel - how central is it? Is 75 quid per person or per room? Per room for a double sounds reasonable.

Watch watch watch it with Easicar They make their money by sticking youfor every scratch they can find - even if infinitesimal - make a note and drawing of the complete car when you accept it and get it signed by the rep before you drive away that way you will nly be charged for YOUR scratches.
Old Sep 23rd 2003, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks guys, they are nervous about London, so want to be booked in for first few nights, will then book some lastminute stuff from the websites you have suggested. They liked the look of Alamo and it seems they can book from here.

Thanks again