Woy Woy, NSW

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 12:51 am
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Woy Woy, NSW

Originally Posted by joho
There are good transport links from Umina to station and woy woy, but the Lake View Rd one is less service. Anything near Ocean Beach Rd is good for transport, but I prefer the side you are viewing houses, the other side of OB Rd is not so nice. Ettalong is nice too, bit more quaint, has ferry service to Palm Beach and a cinema run by the local mafie, nice cinema though. Big Club (not great food, the pub does nice food though). Lovely Cafes, Cats Pjs is good, markets on weekend, really takes you back LOL. Not sure on transport links but is bus service to woy woy etc.

Jo

Jo
Who runs the Cinema? Do you mean Paradiso on the corner?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 1:21 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mumomonty
Who runs the Cinema? Do you mean Paradiso on the corner?
Yeah, just a local joke, the people who own that and the markets and lots and lots of property (including the house we first rented) are Italian.
Jo
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddyo
Agree with that, Woy Woy itself not so brilliant but Gosford is ok and some lovely beach towns around.
I live in Umina next suburb, I like it here, its close to all amenities has good train links to the city. Much prefer Woy woy to Gosford. There are good parts and bad parts like any town. Depends what you are after. Are you thinking of coming her Herrchook.

should have added that they are quiet places. Terrigal is more touristy. As said before some lovely areas around here and woy woy (or Umina) are probably not the most desirable location wise but as many Sydney siders come here for their hols cant be that bad. Also house prices are more affordable in this area. I like the fact that you dont need transport to live here as good bus and train links (plus a ferry to palm beach). I always advise people to rent for 6 months first to see if they like it, applies anywhere really, one persons trash is another ones gold.
I agree with JoJo. I have a bit of family history/connection with the Central Coast and got to know it really quite well from a family perspective. They live on the nicer beaches to the E of Gosford (probably the best bits) around Terrigal. It was very expensive really even 3-5 years ago. Then 450-500k got you a reasonable family home, with the swankier ones more again still.

The Central Coast has been compared to God's playground by the older locals. Used to be a backwater but now just about commutable to Sydney but I reckon I would be regretting it if I did. Did that fast-ferry ever come about?

When I returned after a 3 year break, it seemed very busy and even Terrigal was teaming with locals and weekenders. Gosford town centre seemed incredibly run-down - even a bit rough in some areas.

It had been my intention to live there - but I am glad I moved 1hr from Melbourne instead.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:43 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the info everyone
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

joho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond reputejoho has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
I agree with JoJo. I have a bit of family history/connection with the Central Coast and got to know it really quite well from a family perspective. They live on the nicer beaches to the E of Gosford (probably the best bits) around Terrigal. It was very expensive really even 3-5 years ago. Then 450-500k got you a reasonable family home, with the swankier ones more again still.

The Central Coast has been compared to God's playground by the older locals. Used to be a backwater but now just about commutable to Sydney but I reckon I would be regretting it if I did. Did that fast-ferry ever come about?

When I returned after a 3 year break, it seemed very busy and even Terrigal was teaming with locals and weekenders. Gosford town centre seemed incredibly run-down - even a bit rough in some areas.

It had been my intention to live there - but I am glad I moved 1hr from Melbourne instead.
No fast ferry still hasnt happened, not sure if it ever will. I like it here and thats why I said prefer Woy Woy to Gosford, Gosford is run down. Erina Fair is a good shopping centre though very big and so is Tuggerah. But I still strongly suggest people do not buy until they try, especially in the current climate.

Jo
Old Apr 24th 2009, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

No fast ferry still hasnt happened, not sure if it ever will. I like it here and thats why I said prefer Woy Woy to Gosford, Gosford is run down. Erina Fair is a good shopping centre though very big and so is Tuggerah. But I still strongly suggest people do not buy until they try, especially in the current climate.

Jo
I was a bit shocked with Gosford back in 2006 when I visited for the weekend. But those shopping centres were new - in 2002 Erina Fair was there - but not the new bit. I liked Woy Woy infact.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 12:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

The problem with this area's reputation is that people tend to think of it as it was 30 years ago. Full of holiday homes, fibro, owned by people who lived in Sydney, or where ever. 20 years ago young couples, who lived in Sydney, started to look at the CC as a place to set up house because they couldn't afford to buy in Sydney, thus the demographic gradually changed to what it is today. Unfortunately, some people's opinion is stuck in the past. 30 years ago I would not, in my wildest dreams/nightmares considered Umina as a place to live but today is a totally different scenario. Woy Woy isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. Still not keen on Gosford.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

From what I can gather this is correct. The reason why we chose here is because when we did our recci back in 04 we stayed in Sydney with some relatives (Chester Hill not a good location) and hated it, decided then and there no way were we moving to this. Our rellies had arranged for us to stay with another cousin who lived in Umina for a few days, boy oh boy our opinon changed, he took us all round the coast, accross to Home and Away etc. We decided then and there we WOULD go ahead but live there. Told our other rellies that and they said that they were going to be moving up there too. So now we all live on the Central Coast in Umina. Our fist xmas here we had 26 of us for dinner LOL.

So for us it was an easier decision, live by the rellies, great help, great time.

Jo
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Gibbo
The problem with this area's reputation is that people tend to think of it as it was 30 years ago. Full of holiday homes, fibro, owned by people who lived in Sydney, or where ever. 20 years ago young couples, who lived in Sydney, started to look at the CC as a place to set up house because they couldn't afford to buy in Sydney, thus the demographic gradually changed to what it is today. Unfortunately, some people's opinion is stuck in the past. 30 years ago I would not, in my wildest dreams/nightmares considered Umina as a place to live but today is a totally different scenario. Woy Woy isn't nearly as bad as it used to be. Still not keen on Gosford.
My family moved up in the early 90s and they recall it as being much more like a backwater and have seen many changes. Some of the aspects of the style of living still remain very (proudly) in the older generation who see it as less fast paced as Sydney. But they also see the change - basically expansion - and younger families. It is not just a holiday or retirement area - just like any other Sydney sprawl- with beaches.

My cousin tells me that he is a bit bored there - just a general feel which he has never done much about(!). They were very impressed with Melbourne when they came down.

Last edited by BadgeIsBack; Apr 24th 2009 at 11:10 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2009, 11:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

We will be going to Melbourne in June, my son is passing out from the Navy (hopefully). I dont do flying so will be driving down. Recommendations on a good place to stay near HMAS Cerburus for a couple of nights would be great. We are doing it over 6 days so should be ok, bit tight but my cuz did it in 4 days from sunshine coast so ours should be a doodle. Mind you makes me laugh its like doing John O'groats to Lands End, no english person would do this in 6 days LOL. (well not many). Here its normal.

Jo