Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wow - I am homesick and happy!!!

Wow - I am homesick and happy!!!

Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:16 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute
Default Wow - I am homesick and happy!!!

Strange feeling!

This is sort of an extra post to the excellent discussion on the following thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hreadid=205152

Anyway my update, I have come to NZ, Auckland for work as a consultant in IT for three months. I will be working for 2 weeks on one weekend off for the next 3 months. I am miserable, I miss hubby and kids very badly and I miss Aus and Sydney and my usual routine, my mates and my home. I have only been here two days and I have loads to moan about.

Auckland is an ugly city
It is bloody expensive
I can't understand the accent
I can't find anything in the supermarket and they do not have what I want
It is small and parochial
It is 20 years behind
The TV is crap
...........and on and on

The reason I have to be happy! - I can place my feelings, I know why I am going through this and I can be more positive because of it. I know now I am someone who will always have these unsettled feelings but also it is wonderful the reasons I stated my moans above (is not to insult Auckland!) I did because I could have written that list 22 months ago when I went to Sydney......

Now my plans to get over this.......
I phone home and talk to hubby and kids, I visit expats and talk to people.....
I will get on a couple of trips and not bury myself completely in work.....
I will look for the beauty and the good more... enjoy the difference!
I will make an effort!

I in no way believe getting over homesickness is easy, I have a hole in my heart missing my family, but I will make the effort slightly differently this time, possibly cause I know I am going back (no way am I taking the extension to contract they want! - but watch this space

On the positive front...does rolling on the floor laughing at the supermarket tannoy system asking for an assistant to come to the 'chick out' count as enjoying myself....I kept wondering if it was for poultry only??? And what is this 'trundlers' business - I use a trolley in the supermarket?

As for insulting Auckland - very sorry, please if you are from here and love it feel free to blast me - but if at the same time you could point me to a decent supermarket I will be very grateful.

A very happy homesick Sydneyite

PS - I am told they have very good Guinness here, so there might be something I enjoy here more than Aus!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Sandra

Great post hope your three months whizz by.

footie chick
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wow - I am homesick and happy!!!

I went to Auckland for a weekend from Melbourne.......must admit did wonder if I was going to be body searched by customs as they thought it was strange......but a mate had flown there on a business trip and I went there to say HI.

I found the people really friendly, in fact I ended up on a bucks night and a party where they met up with their girlfriends so I had a blast......my friend was boooooring she went early to bed, hence why I was partying on my todd.

Use this opportuntity to have a blast without hubby and the kids, its only for 3 months hire a car and get out and explore.

Just don´t ask for anything with six in it as it sounds like sex,

DG.

Originally posted by Sandra
Strange feeling!

This is sort of an extra post to the excellent discussion on the following thread

Anyway my update, I have come to NZ, Auckland for work as a consultant in IT for three months. I will be working for 2 weeks on one weekend off for the next 3 months. I am miserable, I miss hubby and kids very badly and I miss Aus and Sydney and my usual routine, my mates and my home. I have only been here two days and I have loads to moan about.

Auckland is an ugly city
It is bloody expensive
It is 20 years behind
The TV is crap
...........and on and on

The reason I have to be happy! - I can place my feelings, I know why I am going through this and I can be more positive because of it. I know now I am someone who will always have these unsettled feelings but also it is wonderful the reasons I stated my moans above (is not to insult Auckland!) I did because I could have written that list 22 months ago when I went to Sydney......

I will make an effort!

I in no way believe getting over homesickness is easy, I have a hole in my heart missing my family, but I will make the effort slightly differently this time, possibly cause I know I am going back (no way am I taking the extension to contract they want! - but watch this space

On the positive front...does rolling on the floor laughing at the supermarket tannoy system asking for an assistant to come to the 'chick out' count as enjoying myself....I kept wondering if it was for poultry only??? And what is this 'trundlers' business - I use a trolley in the supermarket?

As for insulting Auckland - very sorry, please if you are from here and love it feel free to blast me - but if at the same time you could point me to a decent supermarket I will be very grateful.

PS - I am told they have very good Guinness here, so there might be something I enjoy here more than Aus!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:28 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

What a great post Sandra -you have summed up the turmoil of feelings you get when you move to a new place, I think.

Go and treat yourself to a nice din dins at one of the restaurants overlooking the harbour - we went to a lovely one down there but I can't remeber the name ( it was on the right as you go through the archway and you had to walk through a corridoory bit to get to the tables out on the veranda bit) and a glass of wine or six!

And yes rolling on the floor laughing at the Kiwi accent is very mornal - my hubby and I did it literally in a Rotorua main street when a woman met another and said Hoooooooooooooow are yoooooooooooooooooooooooou? - such managling of vowels we had never come across before!! We were laughing so much a police chappie came up and asked us if we were alright!

Keep us updated on your news - and remember a virtual friend is as good as a real one - if not better because they don't ask you to babysit!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I did warn you Sandra!!!

you poor thing..look on the bright side..at least you not there permanently...LOL
Old Jan 28th 2004, 12:51 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the responses

The thought that being away from family and being a temp single ready to have a blast never crossed my mind

Positive - I am staying in the Sheds (NZ style!) that is an apartment complex built right into the harbour beside Freemans Bay, negative - I have an inside view of the next block of apartments.

Positive - I have internet connection at night (not during the day) to chat to all you lot, negative - it is 2.40am and I am still on here chatting when I should be finishing a report.

Negative - the price of a bottle of wine is expensive, Positive I get duty free Jack Daniels every second week (Hubby is the JD fan).

Positive - they may talk funny but work colleagues are great, very helpful and actually stating they are pleased to have me here (that did not happen in Sydney when I started). Negative - not sure what I have agreed to cause I really cannot understand alot of things, so smile alot and say yes.

Positive - they have a bigger tower than Sydney, Negative, I think you can jump off it and I think I want to try it? Anybody with experiences? I am not talking suicide here with homesickness....I think anything tall in NZ they make sure you can offically jump off it!

Anyway I must go and do this report

At the expense of boring you lot I will update as the work visit goes along. Good and not so bad hopefully.

Cheers and goodnight!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:00 pm
Go Banana's !!

Strange feeling!

Auckland is an ugly city
It is bloody expensive
It is 20 years behind
The TV is crap
...........and on and on

I will make an effort!

Hope i can be as strong as you

Jill

Old Jan 28th 2004, 1:03 pm
Kiwified member

Pollster will become famous soon enoughPollster will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the responses

The thought that being away from family and being a temp single ready to have a blast never crossed my mind

Positive - I am staying in the Sheds (NZ style!) that is an apartment complex built right into the harbour beside Freemans Bay, negative - I have an inside view of the next block of apartments.

Positive - I have internet connection at night (not during the day) to chat to all you lot, negative - it is 2.40am and I am still on here chatting when I should be finishing a report.

Negative - the price of a bottle of wine is expensive, Positive I get duty free Jack Daniels every second week (Hubby is the JD fan).

Positive - they may talk funny but work colleagues are great, very helpful and actually stating they are pleased to have me here (that did not happen in Sydney when I started). Negative - not sure what I have agreed to cause I really cannot understand alot of things, so smile alot and say yes.

Positive - they have a bigger tower than Sydney, Negative, I think you can jump off it and I think I want to try it? Anybody with experiences? I am not talking suicide here with homesickness....I think anything tall in NZ they make sure you can offically jump off it!

Anyway I must go and do this report

At the expense of boring you lot I will update as the work visit goes along. Good and not so bad hopefully.

Cheers and goodnight!

You can jump off the tower in Auckland, yes. And you are right - anything bigger than a molehill out there and they put a bit of elastic on top if it and jump!
Old Jan 28th 2004, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

Dolphingirl is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Sandra
Thanks for the responses

THINK OF IT AS A POSITIVE, YOU CAN SPY ON YOUR NEIGBOURS AND SEE SOME OF THEIR CHARACTERS, MIGHT MAKE A GOOD BOOK.

negative - it is 2.40am and I am still on here chatting when I should be finishing a report.

BETTER TO BE REFRESHED TO DO A GOOD JOB.

Negative - the price of a bottle of wine is expensive,

THIS IS A GOOD TIME TO GO ON THAT DE-TOX DIET.

Negative - not sure what I have agreed to cause I really cannot understand alot of things, so smile alot and say yes.

GREAT, SMILING IS GOOD, PEOPLE WILL WARM TO YOU SO WILL INVITE YOU VERY SOON TO THEIR BBQ

WHEN I´M FEELING HOMESICK, I RING UP THOSE I MISS, AND ALSO THOSE THAT MAKE ME ROLL ABOUT LAUGHING, AND IF I HATE BEING AT HOME I´LL FIND A COFFEE SHOP FOR A COFFEE SO I HAVE THE BUZZ OF OTHERS AROUND ME, SOMETIMES PEOPLE WILL OFTEN TALK TO YOU. INVITE SOME OF YOUR FRIENDLY COLLEAGUES OUT FOR A DRINK ETC, SOMEONE YOU CLICK WITH FOR A MEAL. YOU WONT GET RID OF HOMESICKNESS, BUT IF YOU KEEP YOURSELF BUSY AND TRY AND GET SOME FRIENDLY PEOPLE IN YOUR SPARE TIME YOU WONT FEEL SO LONELY AND MAINTAIN THAT HUMOUR......
Old Jan 29th 2004, 1:03 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi mate!

glad you made it ok (baaaa)
have you found antwhere for "fush n chups" yet
stay happy and will speak soon.
hevs xx
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:46 am
Just Joined

londoner is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I am sorry you don't agree with our accent, our supermarkets, our tv programmes etc.etc. but why be rude about it? You can state your opinion the same as everybody without resorting to putting people down - may I make a suggestion - GO HOME - we have a name for people who come here and talk like this - "whinging poms"
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:55 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Auckland is an ugly city
It is bloody expensive
It is 20 years behind
The TV is crap

Actually we Pleasances who love NZ don't love AKL at all and I guess I can quite understand your position as set out above!

But the AKL'ers here have said there are good bits, I guess they are not that apparent because we never found them, it was definitely hate at first sight for us and AKL.

Having said that, don't forget that list of places to visit if you can wangle a car. Top of the list should be East coast Coromandel incl Hot Water Beach, Hahei, Cathedral Cove; coastline near Warkworth incl Leigh, Sandspit etc with lots of boutique wineries, restaurants etc; Bay of Islands.

All definitely worth it and most people will love visiting them - ie might make a very slightly negative Sandra feel a bit happier and positive.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 3:59 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by pleasancefamily
Actually we Pleasances who love NZ don't love AKL at all and I guess I can quite understand your position as set out above!

But the AKL'ers here have said there are good bits, I guess they are not that apparent because we never found them, it was definitely hate at first sight for us and AKL.

Having said that, don't forget that list of places to visit if you can wangle a car. Top of the list should be East coast Coromandel incl Hot Water Beach, Hahei, Cathedral Cove; coastline near Warkworth incl Leigh, Sandspit etc with lots of boutique wineries, restaurants etc; Bay of Islands.

All definitely worth it and most people will love visiting them - ie might make a very slightly negative Sandra feel a bit happier and positive.
There is plenty to see in the region and I agree with you regarding AKL. I tried to like it but the place is sprawling, ugly, suffers horrendous traffic for a small city and lacks atmosphere. The rain was horrendous. Apparently I was lucky with the weather.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 4:03 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure if you need a really really good supermarket. We use Woolworths, Pak 'n Save, New World, outside Dunedin also Big Fresh and think they're all pretty OK.

Certainly got my Patak's sauces.
Old Jan 29th 2004, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

Gladrags is an unknown quantity at this point

Strange feeling!

Auckland is an ugly city
It is bloody expensive
It is 20 years behind
The TV is crap
...........and on and on

I will make an effort!

The 'chick out' counter in the supermarket sure beats the 'chicken' counter at the airport. That always makes me smile!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.