Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wow car prices, we will be driving a motorised wheelie bin, tips and advice please

Wow car prices, we will be driving a motorised wheelie bin, tips and advice please

Old Jan 15th 2004, 2:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold
Default Wow car prices, we will be driving a motorised wheelie bin, tips and advice please

Well we only have a budget of £4000 and looking and researching this will get us either a new Daewoo or a 1971 ford Cortina.

There are a few old cars that don;t look to bad can anyone recommend a good oldy but goody. Or tell us what to avoid like the plague

The age of the cars seem to be 10 years and older with our dosh.

Thanks

C x
Old Jan 15th 2004, 2:27 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wow car prices, we will be driving a motorised wheelie bin, tips and advice please

Originally posted by Carrianne
Well we only have a budget of £4000 and looking and researching this will get us either a new Daewoo or a 1971 ford Cortina.

There are a few old cars that don;t look to bad can anyone recommend a good oldy but goody. Or tell us what to avoid like the plague

Thanks

C x
try www.redbook.com.au I have been looking at KIA's. They look ok to me for a little run a round.

Old Jan 15th 2004, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Carrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to beholdCarrianne is a splendid one to behold

Thanks

Any othe comments advice I have done a search, but no real advice ???
Old Jan 15th 2004, 2:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud ofMummy has much to be proud of
Default Re: Wow car prices, we will be driving a motorised wheelie bin, tips and advice please

Thanks

C x
Old cars in Australia fare much better than old cars in the UK because of the drier weather. We bought an 18year old Suburu (bronze in colour so we called him SuperBruce) and he got us from Sydney to Perth with very little trouble. I would say no trouble but that would be a lie but the things that needed fixing were very minor things that any car will need if made to travel that far!
Old Jan 15th 2004, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Thanks for that Mummy they do seem to be taken care of, i would get an insepction but apparently they need to be inspected anyway before you can sell. I think I may go for the slippers and cardigan at 30 and go for a toyota camry or a older celica.

I do love the 1984 Landcruisers though
Old Jan 15th 2004, 7:48 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly In QLD they have to get a safety certificate which is like an MOT before you sell the car - unless you sell it unregistered in which case you have to get it inspected to safety certificate standard before you can register it!
Once registered in QLD unlike other states it doesn't have to be inspected yearly.
see your pm list.......
Old Jan 15th 2004, 8:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Cars here are expensive. Unless you want to trade one in and get rid of it then it seems to be worth nothing

We had a Subaru that got to 300,000klms tho, put it out of its misery because of rust. Its a complete myth that cars dont rust here. Most aussies live near the coastline in an attempt to get cooler weather. Coastline = rust. Cant say I'd buy an old Kia, thats not a breed made to last is it?

Although cars need an inspection certificate to sell them, guess what some people can get them written up by a mate for a case of beer. Get your own private inspection done by someone you can trust. RACQ are great and honest in QLD.
Old Jan 15th 2004, 8:54 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

I got a small low mileage Hyundai when I was in Aus. Can't say I recommend it, it buckled under the heat and the aircon broke with the fairly constant use. Avoid.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

Speaking from experience here - low buget gal'

I have a 1990 Toyota Camry which I have had a year and only had to have a couple of minor things done. Various members of the family have Camrys old and new and they seem pretty solid. One hint is to look for a "bush car" when looking at older models ie those with red sand dust in the air filter etc. They seem
more reliable than city cars.

Good luck
Old Jan 16th 2004, 12:29 am
Badge

Dotty is right - cars are close to the coast so there is salt air and water - but its a FACT everywhere you WILL see older cars up to 20 and even 30 years in Australia on a regular basis whereas cars in the UK only 10-15 years are often rust buckets.

I put this down to less use of salt on roads to deice and less rain?? It pisses down in Aus, like right now, but then the car dries out????!!! In the Uk the constant drizzle must make a difference.

I'm guessing, I'm guessing.

Badge

Old Jan 16th 2004, 12:33 am
Madwoman

katyjoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless the Kia's in Oz are vastly better made than the ones we get here (and I doubt it) I wouldnt have one given to me. Utter cack.

Go for a reasonable quality jap make like Toyota/mazda etc.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

I think a big factor is that because you dont need a yearly MOT you can keep old cars on the road. Its acknowledged many are death traps waiting to happen. About 4 years ago there was a lot in the press about bringing in yearly testing for cars over 10 years old.

Result a big outcry of people declaring poverty (battlers ) who claim they cant possibly afford the frills of life like a safe car. I am sorry if that sounds harsh but some of the cars here are death traps and they can cause harm to an innocent party in another vehicle.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 12:43 am
Badge

still see a load of older cars in NSW where there is an annual inspection Roadworthy certificate - having said that many of these will be old restored or maintained 'collectable' cars run for love and interest, certainly not profit..but some still look less than mint even taking in to account age.

Badge

Old Jan 16th 2004, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

I think car parts and repairs are pretty cheap. It doesn't cost much to keep an old car safe. Outwardly they still look like a bag of shite but as long as they are safe that's the main thing.

But as you say, some people just dont bother.
Old Jan 16th 2004, 12:48 am
ABCDiamond

Thanks

C x
Toyota Corollas are very popular here. I got a new Daewoo Nubira 2 years ago, and been pretty happy with it, the smaller version, the Kalos I think, was too small.

Examples in local paper here;
94 Toyota Camry $9,490
94 Holden Commodore $ 8,490
97 Ford Falcon $10,995

I used to like Falcons, and still do, but my wife doesn't !!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.