Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

wow..another quake

wow..another quake

Old Sep 4th 2003, 8:37 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road
Default wow..another quake

just sat here typing at 8:41PM and the whole house has just shook side to side quite sharply for about 5 seconds.....another earth quake,not small either.Ah,the joys oF NZ :scared:
Old Sep 4th 2003, 8:40 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough
Default Re: wow..another quake

Originally posted by deedee
just sat here typing at 8:41PM and the whole house has just shook side to side quite sharply for about 5 seconds.....another earth quake,not small either.Ah,the joys oF NZ :scared:
How do the homes cope over there? I assume brick and tile is out of the question.

I would like to experience an earthquake, is it really scary?
Old Sep 4th 2003, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

sashimi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kath

I experienced a couple of them in Taiwan and I found it was very scary, you feel so out of control, there is absolutely nothing you can do. The locals, though, weren't terribly fazed, just looked up and said "oh that's nothing to worry about." I suppose you get used to it

sashimi
Old Sep 4th 2003, 8:44 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

that was weird,and scarey....Ms Deedee ran to the door clutching things before they fell of the mantle!My full cup of tea spilled slightly too.The celling lamp is still swinging too.
My first thought was to move the truck from the front door as the chimney stack has cracked really badly after the last one and i thought this time its coming down....it didnt
This house needs an earthquake to finish the place off.....not the finest build quality
Old Sep 4th 2003, 8:50 am
Forum Regular

Kath will become famous soon enough

that was weird,and scarey....Ms Deedee ran to the door clutching things before they fell of the mantle!My full cup of tea spilled slightly too.The celling lamp is still swinging too.
My first thought was to move the truck from the front door as the chimney stack has cracked really badly after the last one and i thought this time its coming down....it didnt
This house needs an earthquake to finish the place off.....not the finest build quality
Sounds like you might need to put the kettle on again, to calm the nerves - or maybe something stronger?!

Do the NZ government provide some sort of earthquake insurance, or do you need to cover your own property?
Old Sep 4th 2003, 8:57 am
JWW
Forum Regular

JWW will become famous soon enough

They're not small...that one was a 6.1

http://www.geonet.org.nz/latest.html
Old Sep 4th 2003, 8:57 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

Sounds like you might need to put the kettle on again, to calm the nerves - or maybe something stronger?!

Do the NZ government provide some sort of earthquake insurance, or do you need to cover your own property?
yeah,the gov provides"the earthquake commission"which payed out a few million $in damages after the last 7.1 er'...which is nice

Kettles on to keep me awake for the aftershocks that usually follow
Old Sep 4th 2003, 9:00 am
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

Originally posted by JWW
They're not small...that one was a 6.1

http://www.geonet.org.nz/latest.html

wow,modern technology,i was wondering if a huge stock truck had driven through the garden,but now i know it was real....6.1 eh,felt bigger but what do i know
Old Sep 5th 2003, 9:53 pm
Forum Regular

Dee_e56 is an unknown quantity at this point

wow,modern technology,i was wondering if a huge stock truck had driven through the garden,but now i know it was real....6.1 eh,felt bigger but what do i know
I have read that you have had a few after shocks is that true or have things settled now. Hope no damage has been done to your homes.

Dee
Old Sep 6th 2003, 12:00 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

How do the homes cope over there? I assume brick and tile is out of the question.

I was working in Tokyo in January 1995 when the big Kobe earthquake hit. Hubby had flown out for a 10 day visit the day before, talk about bad timing. Although Kobe is nowhere near Tokyo the effect was strong enough to knock our drinking glasses to the floor and the bed felt like someone was standing at the bottom of it shaking it vigorously. When we saw the news we couldn't believe the extent of the damage and devestation Kobe had sustained.

Very, very scarey:scared:
ACE
Old Sep 6th 2003, 12:11 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Did you all know Auckland is built on dormant (not extinct volcanoes) that have a 1 in 1000 chance of exploding in the next 100 years. You are far less likely to win the lottery than get covered in lava.

Still highly unlikley.
Old Sep 6th 2003, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

No worries told my hubby we have to buy a boat, I hate deep water but if one of those volcano's goes of, im gone, lol.

I think we could find many reasons why not to move to a far distant country, but i can find a million reasons to go.

Hope all has settled down now
Dee
Old Sep 6th 2003, 3:07 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

We had one in the UK not so long back it was about one in the morning and it woke me up, everything was creaking and rattling I could hardly believe it, the bed was wobbling from side to side. At first I thought I was being visited by a poltergiest lol not that I believe in them but it was the last thought to enter my head that I was experiencing an earthquake.
Sky
Old Sep 6th 2003, 10:58 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

Originally posted by Dee_e56
No worries told my hubby we have to buy a boat, I hate deep water but if one of those volcano's goes of, im gone, lol.

I think we could find many reasons why not to move to a far distant country, but i can find a million reasons to go.

Hope all has settled down now
Dee

An interesting thought.....if your in a boat out at sea and an earthquake happens below you sometimes get the bermuda triangle effect.Gases raise up from the earths core,creating massive pockets in the sea,which if your on a boat,it wont float,it sinks!Even in an aircraft your not safe as these unburnable gases rise and cause pockets in the atmosphere...causing planes engines to suddenly stall and fall!It is the very reason the Bermuda triangle has the mysterious accident rate it has,its sat on the edge of the continental shelf :scared:

All's well here though,just loads of aftershocks but nothing to make you spill your tea or stubbie.......YET
Old Sep 7th 2003, 7:00 am
Forum Regular

Default Interesting info

Hi Deedee

ok, so no boat forget the plane, when we come to NZ will just have to sit tight pray and hope for the best or even better hope another never happens. We had one here in Switzerland a few months ago, I was in the bath and my hubby was sat on floor talking to me about his day events in work, suddenly he stopped talking in mid sentance, and then said, can u feel that vibration, I looked at him thought he had lost the plot as I felt nothing. We found out a few days later it was a small quake.
well thanks again for that info

Dee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.