Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you transfer your £'s to A$...

Would you transfer your £'s to A$...

Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

Popsicals will become famous soon enoughPopsicals will become famous soon enough
Default Would you transfer your £'s to A$...

.... or leave them in a high interest account in the UK in the hope that the exchange rate gets better?

Pops x
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Would you transfer your £'s to A$...

Personally, I would leave them. I wouldn't exchange at the worst rate for decades. But there is the chance that 1.65 may be the highest rate for the next ten years. There's no knowing. But I would only change them if I really needed them. If the rate hasn't picked up to at least 1.80 by Sept/Oct when I go, then I shall be leaving the majority of my money in the highest interest UK account I can find.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 4:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xzibit
Personally, I would leave them. I wouldn't exchange at the worst rate for decades. But there is the chance that 1.65 may be the highest rate for the next ten years. There's no knowing. But I would only change them if I really needed them. If the rate hasn't picked up to at least 1.80 by Sept/Oct when I go, then I shall be leaving the majority of my money in the highest interest UK account I can find.
163.99 help mearrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sorry163.98 it just gets worse

Last edited by charlie brown; Mar 9th 2010 at 4:29 pm. Reason: i just don't know what to do
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

xe is telling me 1.6413 at the moment, but it's not good, is it. There's no way I am changing my money at these low rates. With the difference in rates between end of 2008 and now, I could have bought a nice car with the money lost.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

Ianevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to allIanevs is a name known to all

Just ordered mine [email protected] crap I know but the rate could get worse before it gets better.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:43 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Ianevs
Just ordered mine [email protected] crap I know but the rate could get worse before it gets better.
Exactly. There are plenty of posts on here from people six months ago saying they were not going to exchange at crap rates like 1.90 and were going to hang on because rates HAD to go up......
Old Mar 9th 2010, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

Popsicals will become famous soon enoughPopsicals will become famous soon enough

Thanks everyone. We are obviously going to change money to go, but the question was really regarding the money we don't need to start our new life. We are not sure whether to just bring everything or leave the bit we don't need in the UK. Rates are getting more and more dire by the day so I have just opened an Oz account to change some now. I remember people who exchanged at 2.4 and people hanging on at 2.1 for it to go back up - lol! If only! Thanks everyone for your responses...

Pops xxx
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:01 pm
Da bing bing!

JenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond reputeJenniGee has a reputation beyond repute

Trouble is..leaving it behind in a fairly average high interest account doesn't help much either coz of the rate of inflation that means in real terms your interest is worth pretty much nothing.

Rock, meet hard place
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

charlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie brown is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by xzibit
xe is telling me 1.6413 at the moment, but it's not good, is it. There's no way I am changing my money at these low rates. With the difference in rates between end of 2008 and now, I could have bought a nice car with the money lost.
try half a house and it really stings
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JenniGee
Trouble is..leaving it behind in a fairly average high interest account doesn't help much either coz of the rate of inflation that means in real terms your interest is worth pretty much nothing.

Rock, meet hard place
the trouble is it is a bit of the devil and the deep blue sea,
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Alfresco
hope i dident make you feel like that sorry
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by charlie brown
the trouble is it is a bit of the devil and the deep blue sea,
I know . Just interesting to get peeps views and establish that the answer is - there is no answer!!! I think the only positive thing for us, is to try not to look at what we could have had - hindsight is a wonderful thing! The fact is we couldn't have had the higher rate because we never had a house sale and £££'s then so there is no point in looking back for us. I guess if you had the money back then and never changed it then that is very different....

Pops x

Last edited by Popsicals; Mar 9th 2010 at 8:21 pm.
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by charlie brown
hope i dident make you feel like that sorry
Me too
Old Mar 9th 2010, 8:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Popsicals
I know . Just interesting to get peeps views and establish that the answer is - there is no answer!!! I think the only positive thing for us, is to try not to look at what we could have had - hindsight is a wonderful thing! The fact is we couldn't have had the higher rate because we never had a house sale and £££'s then so there is no point in looking back.

Pops x
you are right no looking back is the right way to look at it,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.