Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you take a UK american fridge/freezer?

Would you take a UK american fridge/freezer?

Old Jul 24th 2007, 8:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you take a UK american fridge/freezer?

Ours is less than a year old and we got a good deal. Should we take it with us. We did take our small fridge and freezer to cairns last time and they worked just fine. This is alot bigger mind.

Mandy
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

kevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond reputekevinbloomfield has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you take a UK american fridge/freezer?

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Ours is less than a year old and we got a good deal. Should we take it with us. We did take our small fridge and freezer to cairns last time and they worked just fine. This is alot bigger mind.

Mandy
I would, they cost a fair old bit here. We paid $1200 for our fridge freezer
Old Jul 24th 2007, 11:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

me too - as long as you have proof it's CFC free.

We didn't bring ours and have ended up buying the exact same one only for a lot more money !
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:37 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ohippy
me too - as long as you have proof it's CFC free.

We didn't bring ours and have ended up buying the exact same one only for a lot more money !
They are rated differently for hotter climates - with different insulation types. I was told that a cold -> hot climate refigerator would suffer with the heat and need replacing alot quicker. Consider that the extra freight shipping a fridge could push the bill up by £200 or so - even if you are shipping stuff already! Take that off the bill of a new one here - that has a warranty and not been battered around the indian ocean.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Rachel69 will become famous soon enoughRachel69 will become famous soon enough

I would take it if you can , ours wasnt very old and someone told us not to take it as UK fridges and freezers cant handle the hot weather and wont work properly so we left it when we sold our house,but then we were told that as its an American one it would work perfectly! It was too late then!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 1:40 am
Just enjoying being here

rebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud ofrebnatoli has much to be proud of

I would probably take it - one less thing to buy here.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:26 am
you lucky, lucky b'stard!

tomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud oftomy2tums has much to be proud of

We were told not to by our shippers not to, due to them being climatised for a different climate...
Old Jul 25th 2007, 2:34 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by tomy2tums
We were told not to by our shippers not to, due to them being climatised for a different climate...
Thats what we were told, so we didn't bring ours. But many do and they seem to work just fine.

I would bring it, my American style F/F here cost me 4grand.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 3:33 am
Back to WA! Yay!

mark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud ofmark213 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Thats what we were told, so we didn't bring ours. But many do and they seem to work just fine.

I would bring it, my American style F/F here cost me 4grand.
Pretty sure it would work - just not last long. Personally I'd sell it in the UK. The money you get and the cost of the extra shipping could easily pay for 1/2 a new fridge freezer.

And there isnt a gaurentee you'll find a place to accomodate it where you move to. Unless you purposely buy a place to fit your fridge! Rather than the other way.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 4:03 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Originally Posted by mark213
They are rated differently for hotter climates - with different insulation types. I was told that a cold -> hot climate refigerator would suffer with the heat and need replacing alot quicker. Consider that the extra freight shipping a fridge could push the bill up by £200 or so - even if you are shipping stuff already! Take that off the bill of a new one here - that has a warranty and not been battered around the indian ocean.
You pay for a certain size of container whether you fill to the brim or not, I even brought my range cooker because things like big fridges and range cookers are much more expensive here, I can't see that you have anything to lose if you bring it, even if it doesn't work it won't cost any more, I think it will work fine as its very new model.Its older models that you shouldn't bring.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 5:07 am
Back to WA! Yay!

Originally Posted by sherie_in_oz
You pay for a certain size of container whether you fill to the brim or not .
Not quite true. Yes for the shipping amount, but the insurance, packaging, loading and unloading, customs and quarantine clearance are all additional for each cuft/value loaded on the inventory.

And that only applies if you originally quoted to take a whole container. If you only have a part load then you pay the additional freight as well.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

We kept being told not to take our fridge freezer last time, especially as we were heading for Cairns. Both of them worked just fine

Only reason the doubt this time is the size and the fact that that we got it for such a good price and comparing it to Oz prices, it was almost a steal.

I have decided that we will take it unless the a house buyer wants to make us an offer.

Thanks
Mandy
Old Jul 25th 2007, 7:58 am
Forum Regular

Paul & Wendy will become famous soon enoughPaul & Wendy will become famous soon enough

Surely you will have air con for those hot days, so the room temp that the fridge will operate in should not be too extreme?
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:48 am
Forum Regular

sherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nicesherie_in_oz is just really nice

Not quite true. Yes for the shipping amount, but the insurance, packaging, loading and unloading, customs and quarantine clearance are all additional for each cuft/value loaded on the inventory.

And that only applies if you originally quoted to take a whole container. If you only have a part load then you pay the additional freight as well.
Can't see where you get that from, might have changed since we came but we paid Crown £4000 for a full 20 foot container, and would have been the same price if we had not put in my range cooker, I decided at the last minute to take the cooker and a trampoline for the kids and Crown said put it in no extra charge as there was still plenty of space.
Not sure where you get the extra charges from that was in April 2006 and Crowns price included delivery door to door.
Would highly recommend Crown definitely no hidden costs for us.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 10:40 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

We bought our UK fridge freezer with us to Darwin. It's about 10 years old now and works fine here - we've been here a year in September and had no problems at all.

Our house is not air conditioned generally - 1 hour a night before bed is all we use.

It was bounced accross the Indian Ocean, travelled up from Adelaide to Darwin on a truck and still it's going strong.

I think what I'm saying is: Bring it, it should be fine