Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would 'you' take a trip to Bali?

Wikiposts

Would 'you' take a trip to Bali?

Old Feb 5th 2004, 2:30 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Merlot
You are dead right about that. It is just one of those side effects of moving overseas, you know when little things didn't bother you at all before then suddenly are the size of 10 universes!

To be honest, I think finding my way out of Heathrow and in one piece could be the challange of the trip!
Are you driving out of Heathrow or getting the train? English roads are so well laid out, well marked and properly sign posted it will seem a breeze. Its a shame the trains are not up to scratch anymore.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 2:35 pm
Merlot

Default Up North!

Need to get towards the A19 and Cleveland - yes, lovely spot! This is via The Animal Reception Centre.

Best way?

Old Feb 5th 2004, 3:10 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would 'you' take a trip to Bali?

Originally posted by janeyray
Hubby and I have been thinking about taking a short trip to Bali over Easter (with our daughter too). It's very cheap from Perth, think we can have something like 4 nights in a hotel and flights for around $400 each.

Just wondered if any of 'you' would go or advise against it because of the trouble they had there?
Go for it and you don't need to be any more careful than normal. Agree with the advice about Kuta, it's best avoided. I was on Bali for a month in 2000 and there are some great spots away from the tourist traps. Good diving, too.

We're just off to Thailand on the way back to Europe.

Bird flu? Schmird flu! Hope to get a good hotel offer.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 3:14 pm
Merlot

Originally posted by pleasancefamily

Bird flu? Schmird flu! Hope to get a good hotel offer.
Oh No, Bird Flu - another thing to stress about before my flight to the UK - only kidding!!!

Janeyray, looks like most people think it is a good idea.

Have fun
Merlot

Old Feb 5th 2004, 3:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

Bali is a great spot and the Balinese need to be supported as much as is possible.

I'm sure it was no co-incidence that the bombers chose to inflict destruction on a place that is not only very Western, but also who's indigenous population is the least % muslim in all of Indonesia.

I'd recommend Kuta particularly as BP has said he's not going there. Who wants to bump into an Iain Dowie lookalike on the streets after dark...or indeed during daylight hours!!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 3:21 pm
Don
Banned

Originally posted by RichS
I'd recommend Kuta
Kuta - not nearly as bad as Benidorm, that's the best I can say for it. There are other good bits, incl beaches (except for the hawkers), weather, waves, cheap good eats, all the amenities like internet caffs, cheap good range of hotels etc, not far from airport.

Biggest problem is you might feel you could just as well be anywhere. No Balinese character at all. And full of (generally) people (westerners) you can pass the time of day with but will be very pleased to see the back of.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 3:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

RichS will become famous soon enough

But Don - will there be people there talking abotu the exchange rate...I notice you couldn't resist it again !!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 3:42 pm
Don
Banned

But Don - will there be people there talking abotu the exchange rate...I notice you couldn't resist it again !!
Getting nervous about the AUD...think I'll ring Halewood.
Old Feb 5th 2004, 4:47 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Bali is a great spot and the Balinese need to be supported as much as is possible.

I'm sure it was no co-incidence that the bombers chose to inflict destruction on a place that is not only very Western, but also who's indigenous population is the least % muslim in all of Indonesia.

I'd recommend Kuta particularly as BP has said he's not going there. Who wants to bump into an Iain Dowie lookalike on the streets after dark...or indeed during daylight hours!!
Bali is predominantly Hindu. My Avatar is in honour of Dowie becoming manager of the month. No hifallutin foreign holidays for me this year.

RichS when should I come around to Maroubra to scare off the locals or has your flatulant butt already done that?
Old Feb 5th 2004, 5:26 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

I managed to spend half a day in Bali between flights.... went to Kuta. If you want shopping it`s interesting, but don`t buy any of the things from guys with huge suitcases full of rings/watches etc who literally chase after you down the street.... mostly fakes, and tin not silver. I`m normally quite patient/polite, but after being hassled loads of times by these people I wasn`t so polite. Reminds me of the Indians selling roses in Rome.... just won`t take no for an answer and are like a flock of seagulls.

The beach was nice, except when this old lady (and I mean OLD... like 90 or something) started rubbing my neck/shoulders before I could do anything about it. No thanks lady. I was trying to enjoy the view (which was nice).

I did buy a couple of wooden carvings though, very cheaply off a guy on the beach..... they have them here in the UK from Bali and cost a fortune. I don`t think they`d let you take them into Aus though.

I`d go, but only spend a few hours in Kuta (just for the experience).
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:19 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to both Bali and Fiji in the last 2.5yrs.

Off the tourist trail in Bali is lovely, and we really had some enjoyable times. One tour that we went on was very much on the tourist trail - where we stopped for lunch was walled off with tourist one side and sellers constantly pestering on the other. I would have loved to go further north of the island for scenery/escape the crowd and for diving (this is where I would go if I returned there) As others say watch out for scams.

Fiji - or more specifically Taveuni, has wonderful diving, great walks and waterfalls, and the people are fabulous and genuine. I was there for 2 weeks, the locals were recognising me, and nowhere else would I have accepted a lift in a car with a stranger and have no issue with it. The rainy season finishes at end of Apr, and when it did rain (in May) it was late afternoon.

I would much prefer to return to Fiji over Bali
Old Feb 5th 2004, 8:31 pm
A Bored of waiting member

stephenwhite68 will become famous soon enough

Go for it, i was there with my fiancee when the bomb went off
and although the Balinesse went a little cash crazy for a day they soon settled down and returned to normal life.
They where so upset by it and how it had happened to their island that i think you will be ok ...

PS Lovely Place !!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 9:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Jane,

We have hear good and bad things about it and were a bit put off but some colleagues lately said they had a great time, just be prepared that it is a 3rd world country. They raved about the markets.

There is a real street dog problem there-that would make me very sad being the animal lover I am. Have already brought one dog over from South Africa-what would happen if we went to bali!
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:05 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all

If you go to Bali take some orange cordial with you. Most say it keeps you healthy. Strange but true. Also, don`t drink anything but bottled water.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:35 am
(Jon) returning to NZ 04

jandjuk is an unknown quantity at this point

would you go to new york?

If you can answer that then you have your answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.