Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would 'you' take a trip to Bali?

Would 'you' take a trip to Bali?

Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:13 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of
Default Would 'you' take a trip to Bali?

Hubby and I have been thinking about taking a short trip to Bali over Easter (with our daughter too). It's very cheap from Perth, think we can have something like 4 nights in a hotel and flights for around $400 each.

Just wondered if any of 'you' would go or advise against it because of the trouble they had there?
Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:18 pm
mick n cheryl

GO FOT IT!!!!

Ithink you will find like all places which have HAD! trouble, they are now the safest places to be!!!

Enjoy

Mick & Cheryl

Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:22 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Would 'you' take a trip to Bali?

Originally posted by janeyray
Hubby and I have been thinking about taking a short trip to Bali over Easter (with our daughter too). It's very cheap from Perth, think we can have something like 4 nights in a hotel and flights for around $400 each.

Just wondered if any of 'you' would go or advise against it because of the trouble they had there?
I was thinking that myself yesterday, after seeing an advert for a real bargain holiday there. It's tempting. I'll be interested in seeing the replies here to.

Old Feb 5th 2004, 11:26 pm
Banned

userjay will become famous soon enough

yeah do it think it was a one off bunch of wanabee fruit bats in that sad episode.cant see lightning striking twice
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to allDianeOZ is a name known to all

All the aussies still seem to go there don't they? Yeah, if you fancy it - you should go. Just don't go clubbing

Di
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:28 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

I'd be off like a shot. Tourism has been badly shaken there & needs all the support it can get. However, if you are worried is this going to spoil your holiday?

Loopy
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:33 am
Merlot

Default I'd go

I'd go without hesitations.

The official word from Australia is

http://www.dfat.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Indonesia

"Bali and Lombok: There have been a number of recent cases in Bali where tourists have fallen victim to organised gambling gangs. These gangs have extorted money from tourists to secure their safe release. Tourists travelling to Mt Rinjani, in Lombok, have been the target of criminal activity. Australians should obtain advice from the local authorities and only use a registered guide. " The usual common sense prevales me thinks - this type of thing can happen in Sydney!

I am not sure how that sits if there are any problems as far as repatriation, etc, but can't envisage serious problems in Bali.

The Balianese need all the support they can get as far as tourism and I am sure you would get the warmest of welcomes.

Send us a postcard!!!
Merlot

Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:38 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I would love to go there but I think I would bypass Kuta. I hear it is the Aussie Ibiza. The waves there look awesome but they break on coral which could lead to painful wipeouts and broken boards.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'd go

Originally posted by Merlot
I'd go without hesitations.

The official word from Australia is

http://www.dfat.gov.au/zw-cgi/view/Advice/Indonesia

"Bali and Lombok: There have been a number of recent cases in Bali where tourists have fallen victim to organised gambling gangs. These gangs have extorted money from tourists to secure their safe release. Tourists travelling to Mt Rinjani, in Lombok, have been the target of criminal activity. Australians should obtain advice from the local authorities and only use a registered guide. " The usual common sense prevales me thinks - this type of thing can happen in Sydney!

I am not sure how that sits if there are any problems as far as repatriation, etc, but can't envisage serious problems in Bali.

The Balianese need all the support they can get as far as tourism and I am sure you would get the warmest of welcomes.

Send us a postcard!!!
Merlot
I don't think organised gambling gangs are comitting many kidnappings in Sydney are they?

Personally, I wouldn't go myself. I think it will happen again. There are loads of places I'd rather go than Australia's own version of Ibiza.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:42 am

Originally posted by renth
I don't think organised gambling gangs are comitting many kidnappings in Sydney are they?

Personally, I wouldn't go myself. I think it will happen again. There are loads of places I'd rather go than Australia's own version of Ibiza.
There are Chinese immigration extortion gangs that do kidnap clients in return for a ransom from the family in China. There are plenty of cons in Bali so do your research to be prepared. Police fining motorbike riders is the classic.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:48 am
Merlot

Originally posted by renth

Apologies, I didn't make myself too clear. What I meant to say that there is crime everywhere in the world. Of course some places are better than others!

I was in Bali for 6 weeks back in 1993 (ran out of money waiting for the flight home). Things were a lot different then but you still had to watch your back. It was annoying that everytime you walked down the street or used the beach, you were hassled by touts. There were pick pockets, usually kids. We ended up not leaving the hostel complex that much but still had a great time none the less. Organised tours were the better options.

The north of Bali, Lovina Beaches I think were a lot less hassle and quieter. I agree pick the location carefully and Kuta is terrible for families.

Go with your instincts. I am terrified about flying Singapore Airlines from Sydney to London in March due to terrorism but I have to do it, otherwise you never get on with your life.

I guess we just have to try and get on with our lives. I understand what you are saying though.

Merlot

Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:52 am

Merlot you should be more terrified driving on Sydneys roads. Terrorist attacks on aircraft are a mercifully rare and unusual event.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:52 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

mind you they have this advice for the UK :

United Kingdom

This Advice is current for Friday, 06 February 2004, EDT
The Advice was issued on Monday, 22 December 2003, 12:36:28, EDT
This advice has been reviewed. It contains new information or advice. The overall level of the advice has not changed.

Australians in the United Kingdom are advised to be alert to their own security. Australians should be aware that further supplementary security measures were put in place in the United Kingdom in November 2003 in response to growing concerns about the threat of terrorist attack. In view of the ongoing risk of such attacks, key United Kingdom installations such as economic interests, ports of entry and airports (including Heathrow - the major point of entry to the United Kingdom for Australians) have further increased security measures and remain on heightened alert

Would I personally go? No, not for the reason I don't thinks it safe, (nowhere in the world is safe if you read the warnings) but for the reason I've never fancied Bali myself - looks too touristy to me.

cheers
Old Feb 6th 2004, 12:53 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by bondipom
There are Chinese immigration extortion gangs that do kidnap clients in return for a ransom from the family in China. There are plenty of cons in Bali so do your research to be prepared. Police fining motorbike riders is the classic.
The old Snakehead gangs eh? I'd send them all back to China myself. Well, I'd get someone else to do it so they wouldn't kill me.

How about Fiji? my wife went there as well as Bali. She hated Bali but loved Fiji.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 2:22 am
Merlot

Originally posted by bondipom
Merlot you should be more terrified driving on Sydneys roads. Terrorist attacks on aircraft are a mercifully rare and unusual event.
You are dead right about that. It is just one of those side effects of moving overseas, you know when little things didn't bother you at all before then suddenly are the size of 10 universes!

To be honest, I think finding my way out of Heathrow and in one piece could be the challange of the trip!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.