Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you take pine furniture?

Wikiposts

Would you take pine furniture?

Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you take pine furniture?

We have some furniture that we are thinking about dumping to make room for the rest of our stuff. Somehow we managed to go over the 20foot container.

Anglo Pacific have offered to take off Pine wardrobe, desk, chest of drawers and pc table, to make room for other stuff. However, we still have things at our rented home which will need to go seperately (hopefully not too expensive as AP are being very helpful).

Thing is, would you hang on to it given that most houses have BIR's? The furniture is DUCAL - ok a few years old but was pricey at the time. It seems a shame to just get rid of it...........

Not sure what to do.............

Thanks all

Mrs Jones
Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:49 pm
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you take pine furniture?

hope you have got good insurance, using ***** ******** :scared: , sorry Pacific
Old Jan 31st 2005, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by walaj
hope you have got good insurance, using ***** ******** :scared: , sorry Pacific
Thanks for that. Yes I'm already aware of all their negative publicity. However, I didn't find this forum until after we had packed up and put the stuff in storage.
I have already started a thread asking about them so don't need any more reminders about the disaster that is apparently to befall us. So far they are being very helpful. The rest remains to be seen.
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

sophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nicesophia is just really nice

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
We have some furniture that we are thinking about dumping to make room for the rest of our stuff. Somehow we managed to go over the 20foot container.

Anglo Pacific have offered to take off Pine wardrobe, desk, chest of drawers and pc table, to make room for other stuff. However, we still have things at our rented home which will need to go seperately (hopefully not too expensive as AP are being very helpful).

Thing is, would you hang on to it given that most houses have BIR's? The furniture is DUCAL - ok a few years old but was pricey at the time. It seems a shame to just get rid of it...........

Thanks all

Mrs Jones
hiya mrs jones

you're right about the walk in robes that are usually standard in homes here so should be ok to leave the wardrobes behind. Also we've found the pine/reclaimed timber/general wood furniture to be very nice and reasonably priced it depends on what you're looking for...but these two sites show you the sort of stuff you can get here:

http://www.furnitureonline.com.au/
http://www.classique.com.au/dining.html

Of course, there are many many many more, but I thought I'd just give you some to get you started!

Good luck

love sophia xx
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:24 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all

Mrs Jones
I know a lot of people will tell you about the BIR and they are quite correct more newer homes have them. But I found some of the older ones here in Sydney do not. And a personal opinion on Ducal (I brought all mine), that stuff is a lot nicer than any of the pine I bought here.

I was lucky and had a 40ft but I do appeciate your dilema, it sort of depends what you can easily afford to replace, the stuff you can take out of the container or the stuff you want to put in. Can't stuff go inside the wardrobe?

I would not dump chest of drawers - that was what we ended up buying most of. But then each person needs and rates things differently - try making a list of priority order?

Best of luck
Old Jan 31st 2005, 11:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sandra
I know a lot of people will tell you about the BIR and they are quite correct more newer homes have them. But I found some of the older ones here in Sydney do not. And a personal opinion on Ducal (I brought all mine), that stuff is a lot nicer than any of the pine I bought here.

I was lucky and had a 40ft but I do appeciate your dilema, it sort of depends what you can easily afford to replace, the stuff you can take out of the container or the stuff you want to put in. Can't stuff go inside the wardrobe?

I would not dump chest of drawers - that was what we ended up buying most of. But then each person needs and rates things differently - try making a list of priority order?

Best of luck
Thanks Sandra,
They wrapped EVERYTHING! WE thought items could have gone in wardrobes, but no it doesn't seem that way!
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:13 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Sandra,
They wrapped EVERYTHING! WE thought items could have gone in wardrobes, but no it doesn't seem that way!
***** ******** :scared: But you know it, so I'll just wish you luck.

The only reason they do not pack things inside drawers, wardrobes etc is because it then has to go in boxes which take up more room, so they charge you more. One reason to pack yourself, if you can.
The wardrobe - well, yes, most houses have built in ones - but the rest of the stuff, as you have other things to send, I would bring it. Tasise has some lovely pine furniture made locally, but elsewhere, you will pay a fortune for lesser quality (in my opinion).
if you are concerned about the AQIS - wood thing - I brought a pine chest of drawers, self packed and clearly marked as pine, not even looked at.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 1:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Pollyana
***** ******** :scared: But you know it, so I'll just wish you luck.

The only reason they do not pack things inside drawers, wardrobes etc is because it then has to go in boxes which take up more room, so they charge you more. One reason to pack yourself, if you can.
The wardrobe - well, yes, most houses have built in ones - but the rest of the stuff, as you have other things to send, I would bring it. Tasise has some lovely pine furniture made locally, but elsewhere, you will pay a fortune for lesser quality (in my opinion).
if you are concerned about the AQIS - wood thing - I brought a pine chest of drawers, self packed and clearly marked as pine, not even looked at.
Thanks Pollyanna..................

Still not 100% as it may save a fair bit in the long run.
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:10 am
joveazey

Hi Mrs Jones,

Thought I'd cheer you up. Some friends of mine used AP in October to go to Perth, shipped all their furniture and a BMW Z3, no probs at all.

Jo

Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by joveazey
Hi Mrs Jones,

Thought I'd cheer you up. Some friends of mine used AP in October to go to Perth, shipped all their furniture and a BMW Z3, no probs at all.

Jo
Aaaah!! Jo, aren't you lovely. How are things going for you?
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:22 am
joveazey

Things are going fine thanks - 2nd viewing on house at 5.30pm so fingers and toes crossed !!

Spoke to the above mentioned friend this morning and she is loving it in Ocean Reef ! This really reassures me as she had a bad time before leaving, her mother died about 8 weeks before they left, (she lost her father quite a few years ago) and she has a 3 year old and a 9 month old (enough stress for anyone) and she was very depressed when they first got there and over Christmas. She told me this morning that she can't imagine living anywhere else now and the kids love it. She is so glad that she made the decision to go.

Jo
x

Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by joveazey
Things are going fine thanks - 2nd viewing on house at 5.30pm so fingers and toes crossed !!

Spoke to the above mentioned friend this morning and she is loving it in Ocean Reef ! This really reassures me as she had a bad time before leaving, her mother died about 8 weeks before they left, (she lost her father quite a few years ago) and she has a 3 year old and a 9 month old (enough stress for anyone) and she was very depressed when they first got there and over Christmas. She told me this morning that she can't imagine living anywhere else now and the kids love it. She is so glad that she made the decision to go.

Jo
x
Am trying to persuade hubby to have a look up there. I like the look of Mindarie/Ocean Reef. Good luck with viewing XXX
Old Feb 1st 2005, 2:32 am
joveazey

Hi,

they are renting a massive house in Ocean Reef but are looking to buy further up cos it's cheaper. She said that Burn's Beach is nice and Mindarie is lovely but a bit too far. We were intending to look at Kingsley/Woodvale/Duncraig as the sis in law is in Greenwood, but the more I think about it the more I want to be able to walk to the beach.

Jo

Old Feb 1st 2005, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

alrobson will become famous soon enoughalrobson will become famous soon enough

Just thought I'd raise this point. I have had two shippers around so far and they both said that we could put soft items (i.e. clothes) in the drawers and it wouldn't be a problem. I've even seen it written down on there literature. Be interested to hear if anyone has heard differently.

Adrian
Old Feb 1st 2005, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

marysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nicemarysidey is just really nice

We were told the same pack things like cushions into drawers but no plastic they were really helpful
Mary