Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Old May 18th 2008, 1:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Originally Posted by vanessandave
quoll,
Every time I read your posts I feel depressed, no matter how good I felt before. If life in Australia is so awful why don't you just move back to the UK and let somebody who might appreciate the opportunity of experiencing the Oz lifestyle a chance. Or do you intend on being miserable, and bringing everyone else down, for the rest of your life?

I do believe in free speech, and everyone is welcome to their opinion but I am sick of yours. Is there a way of blocking out a particular posters posts???
Sure, just put me on the ignore list - I just answered the question that was asked. If that makes you question moving here then you really do need to consider your resilience.
Old May 18th 2008, 2:07 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

The weather had nothing to do with my decision, but I guess just a nice extra when I think about it.
Old May 18th 2008, 4:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
The weather had nothing to do with my decision, but I guess just a nice extra when I think about it.
For me it was very much a bonus, probably 4 or 5 on the list after space, house affordability, lifestyle and opportunity (etc). The higher temps in Melbourne are too hot to do anything outside on acreage for more than half an hour, but even the coldest shouldn't stop you doing many things (apart from swim!).

I think it is almost peculiar that people in the UK actually lived from day to day thinking or planning their next hot sunny holiday escape. I have never been to Gatwick airport once. () I guess then those people would really like it here.

If you were to count them, clearly Melbourne has more cold days than most other states, but it has long hot summers, great Autumns and Springs which are in some ways better than UK summers, and short winters and those who like seasons of a sort might like it.
Old May 18th 2008, 5:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Weather had nothing to do with us coming here, UK has a mild climate, its not often thats its too hot to go out, nor too cold, constant rain is usually nowt but a bit of drizzle. It didnt stop us getting out, climate in OZ has far more extreme sides to it that do affect you, skin cancer for one drought for another.
Old May 18th 2008, 6:07 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

It's all relative though, isn't it. Loads of people love the UK climate, although some only realise it when they discover they hate the Aus climate. I just can't deal with it. What one person calls mild and gentle, I call cold. It's 19 degrees here today and the sun is shining. Whilst I love seeing the sun nearly every day (summer grey skies got irritating), I'm cold. I'm wearing jeans, wooly socks, a thick hoodie and seriously considering lighting the fire before the sun goes down. This temperature is probably perfect for Poll et al, it kills me.

I was never bothered by the rain in the UK, the grey was fine, the long long dark hours in winter depressed me beyond reason. I don't mind it getting dark here at 5:30 - 6:30 throughout the year because I know the hours from 6am - 5pm will be blue skies with sunshine for the most part.

So everyone who argues with others about their opinions of the Aus vs. UK weather just remember everyone sees it differently and no one is right or wrong, just different.
Old May 18th 2008, 7:39 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by CaptainMerton
Why would anyone move to Australia for any other reason than the weather? Its has no culture, very little natural beauty, higher taxes than the UK and far fewer career opportunities.
Can I just dip my wick in ere so to speak?

Cap Merton, I've read your posts on here and I have to say that you are dead against going to Aus aren't you?

But I think by you saying that Australia as a whole has no culture or natural beauty you must live on a different planet if you think the UK has more of this than Aus!

Culture in the UK? Try Yobbo/Hoodie/binge drinking culture that has overshadowed every bit of beautiful British culture now. You're from Scotland so you'll appreciate this, The Uefa cup final here in my home town of Manchester when I saw 1000's of Rangers fans drinking from 6 in the morning openly in the town centre and then a few (1000 or so) of them rioting in the evening and almost destroying the city. It was great the next day to walk through mountains of litter and the smell of stale piss (people openly urinating in the middle of day without even using a wall!) and beer.

And yes I know Australia has the same problems in isolated areas but one thing I noticed as a majority was that 'most' Aussies respect their country and are quite proud of what it has. I did a god awful thing by being disrespectful once in sydney when I dropped some litter on the floor many years ago....I was then approached by an aussie and got a right telling off for doing that and 'would I do it in my own country?'... little did that aussie know, that this is quite normal is the UK!

I remember crossing at the lights in Brisbane when the little green man weren't showing and a copper threatening to book me for jay walking. He was looking out for me quite honestly as I could have caused an accident, quite refreshing really when we see our police let people with mobiles using them whilst they drive their cars, dropping litter and other laws broken that if, were enforced would make the UK a slightly better place to live. I quite rightly got a telling off though as this copper was like...just cos you're from another country doesn't mean you ignore or disrespect our rules and laws.

These 'little' things like that may seem trivial like litter dropping etc. when there are far bigger injustices going on but as Tesco once told me every little helps and if we can't get the little things right then what in the hell chance do we have at the bigger things?

Now I know some naysayers will tell me different to their experiences in Aussie but all I ever saw while in Australia (and I visited every captial city and all the little area's in between) as a whole is 'respect for their cities and country'.

To sum up though no matter where you go 'people all over the world' can be a**holes and as such will abuse and take for granted what they have.

But you can't ever say that the UK has better culture and natural beauty then Aus!

Im sorry!!

Last edited by jam76; May 18th 2008 at 7:44 am.
Old May 18th 2008, 7:42 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam76

But you can't ever say that the UK has better culture and natural beauty then Aus!

Im sorry!!
That is simply your opinion.....it does not make it 'true'.
Old May 18th 2008, 7:46 am
Forum Regular

jam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nicejam76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Grayling
You're absolutely correct Grayling but i'm sure the majority of us on here would agree (even if partly) with me on this one.

But yes everyone is entitled to their opinion and i'm voicing mine for the other side of the equation
Old May 18th 2008, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

Anyways.. to be immature....

GO AUSSIE SUN!
Old May 18th 2008, 7:49 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jam76
You're absolutely correct Grayling but i'm sure the majority of us on here would agree (even if partly) with me on this one.
I wouldn't

I have never seen anywhere in Australia that could remotely compare to where I lived in Derbyshire.

G
Old May 18th 2008, 7:50 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
That's why there's never a right or wrong answer. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Old May 18th 2008, 7:51 am
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
That's why there's never a right or wrong answer. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
Indeed

G
Old May 18th 2008, 7:52 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

If we all agreed on everything, the world would be a very boring place.
Old May 18th 2008, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

Just put this in perspective....

I respect everyones opinion but i do like a good argum...discussion.

Old May 18th 2008, 9:15 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I was never bothered by the rain in the UK, the grey was fine, the long long dark hours in winter depressed me beyond reason. I don't mind it getting dark here at 5:30 - 6:30 throughout the year because I know the hours from 6am - 5pm will be blue skies with sunshine for the most part.
The sudden darkness in the afternoons during winter did come as a shock to me; it was as if the entire sun had disappeared within minutes! And the British winters are hell for my arthritis, which fared much better in Australia.

But still, I do prefer the UK's gentler climate to the Australian heat. And I don't mind the rain at all; I'm the sort of person who happily walks in the rain without an umbrella. I love the feel of it on my face, and the freshness of the cold, wet wind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.