Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Old May 17th 2008, 4:27 am
South Yarra Sheila

JoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond reputeJoolsB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
If the weather was great in the UK, then Australia wouldn't even have been mentioned!
Saying that, now i know what it is like to bake in the hot sun, i think i prefer cooler weather anyway. So it has learnt me alot coming here, knowing that weather is not the most important thing in life.
Yeh-me too re preferring cooler weather after experiencing 40 degrees minus the cocktail & hotel pool.
Old May 17th 2008, 5:00 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

If you could find me a four bedroom detatched house with pool and DLUG on a 900sqm block within spitting distance of seven miles of stunning beach and a wide unspoilt river for £180k (or less obviously) somewhere like Cornwall or Dorset, with cheap rail to London ...

... then no, I'd still make the move.
Old May 17th 2008, 7:19 am
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

The weather is the main draw for me. I hate it when it's cold and wet.
Last week was lovely here in the U.K. it was sunny and warm and we had a great (cheap) weekend going for a picnic and walking round a country park.
I would like to live somewhere we could experience more weekends like that.

When we started the process the fact that the cost of living was cheaper was a huge plus but of course this is no longer the case.
In fact that is making me rethink. My OH's qualifications aren't recognised in Australia and I'm now worried we will struggle financially. he will either have to get a low paid job or spend a couple of years retraining.
I know money isn't everything but if we are struggling that won't improve our quality of life so we have a lot of thinking to do.

Last edited by Kapri; May 17th 2008 at 7:20 am. Reason: typo
Old May 17th 2008, 9:06 am
Unspoilt by progress.....

The Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud ofThe Woodcutter has much to be proud of

Very interesting question. Would certainly have immigrated but not sure whether it would have been Canada or Australia.
Old May 17th 2008, 9:11 am
Forum Regular

owenj is just really niceowenj is just really niceowenj is just really niceowenj is just really niceowenj is just really niceowenj is just really niceowenj is just really niceowenj is just really nice

I believe that the cost of living is still much less than in the UK. This may be variable person to person as it is relative to income. Those who are paid less in Australia than in the UK may not see as much benefit.

If you were to equivilate income in UK pounds to Australian dollars then you would definately get far more for the same money.

The climate is a definate plus for us, but it is not top of the list for reasons to be in Australia. However, replace it for a UK climate and many of the other aspects we enjoy may not be as attractive as before, so indirectly it does play a major role.
Old May 17th 2008, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

brissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nicebrissyboyds is just really nice

Originally Posted by rabsody
Now that the cost of living in Aus is around about the same as UK and the growth of the cities means the traffic is on par (well in Brisbane anyway where public transport and infrastructure is woeful), I am interested to know whether people are moving mainly because of the weather.

When I moved over 8 years ago there were quite a few incentives, such as much cheaper housing, cheaper everything, way less traffic than UK, easier day to day living and so on. If I was moving over today the only stand out benefit I can see really is the climate (not discrediting that as a valid reason as it does make life more enjoyable!).

If the weather was taken out of the equation, i.e. was the same as in UK, would there still be enough incentive for you to move?
Oh yes
Old May 17th 2008, 9:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Betty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond reputeBetty Boot has a reputation beyond repute

We are planning to move back to Oz after 2 years back in the UK - mainly because of the Weather I stupidly thought the cold, grey, dreary weather wouldnt bother me but it really does:curse: After 2 long winters its time to get the hell outta here and back to some sunshine where we can start enjoying family time again without spening a fortune and dodging the rain

Bit to answer your question, No, Australia wouldnt even be a consideration if the weather was the same as the UK.
Old May 17th 2008, 9:39 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Now that the cost of living in Aus is around about the same as UK and the growth of the cities means the traffic is on par (well in Brisbane anyway where public transport and infrastructure is woeful), I am interested to know whether people are moving mainly because of the weather.

When I moved over 8 years ago there were quite a few incentives, such as much cheaper housing, cheaper everything, way less traffic than UK, easier day to day living and so on. If I was moving over today the only stand out benefit I can see really is the climate (not discrediting that as a valid reason as it does make life more enjoyable!).

If the weather was taken out of the equation, i.e. was the same as in UK, would there still be enough incentive for you to move?
In a word no.

The weather was a huge incentive. Which is why we only looked at Perth and Sydney up to Brisbane.

I don't think people put enough emphasis on the fact that 4 1/2 months of the year in Britain is pretty much wiped off the calendar.

With a young family, in terms of getting outside and enjoying ourselves I'm so glad we're leaving the UK weather behind.

Baz
Old May 17th 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

vanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by quoll
We didnt come here for the weather and it certainly wouldnt have played a part in our decision anyway. Personally I find the heat wearing after all these years and think we had more outdoors activity in UK than we do here - nothing like bushwalking with all the flies, slathering yourself with sunscreen and needing to cart gallons of water to make you appreciate the UK footpath network. I dont think anything I have had here compares with the long balmy summer evenings sitting out in the garden at home. I also much prefer being able to rug up against the cold than sweltering in the heat and needing to be in airconditioned comfort otherwise I would melt. Edited to add, if you live without decent rainfall for long enough, just the sight of a black cloud (woo hoo, today!!!!!) actually brings cheer to your heart rather than waking up to the bland blank blue sky every day.

quoll,
Every time I read your posts I feel depressed, no matter how good I felt before. If life in Australia is so awful why don't you just move back to the UK and let somebody who might appreciate the opportunity of experiencing the Oz lifestyle a chance. Or do you intend on being miserable, and bringing everyone else down, for the rest of your life?

I do believe in free speech, and everyone is welcome to their opinion but I am sick of yours. Is there a way of blocking out a particular posters posts???
Old May 17th 2008, 9:49 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vanessandave
quoll,
Every time I read your posts I feel depressed, no matter how good I felt before. If life in Australia is so awful why don't you just move back to the UK and let somebody who might appreciate the opportunity of experiencing the Oz lifestyle a chance. Or do you intend on being miserable, and bringing everyone else down, for the rest of your life?

I do believe in free speech, and everyone is welcome to their opinion but I am sick of yours. Is there a way of blocking out a particular posters posts???
vanessandave - Quoll has been married for many years to an Aussie who refuses to move back to UK (and would not be happy there if he did). You may think that's a cut and dried situation but until you're in that position you have no idea.

For those of us who are stuck here for one reason or another - can't sell the house, can't move because of children in a dual national relationship (even to an ex husband, like me) or where both partners want to live in different countries - you cannot understand the turmoil involved. I sincerely hope you don't find yourself in that situation ever. You might be a little more empathetic if you did.
Old May 17th 2008, 9:52 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by vanessandave
quoll,

Put them on ignore, or don't read it. Some people do appreciate Quoll's posts.
Old May 17th 2008, 9:52 am
Forum Regular

deryans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant futurederyans has a brilliant future

No, would have stayed in Northern Europe.
Old May 17th 2008, 9:54 am
Forum Regular

CaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud ofCaptainMerton has much to be proud of

Why would anyone move to Australia for any other reason than the weather? Its has no culture, very little natural beauty, higher taxes than the UK and far fewer career opportunities.
Old May 17th 2008, 9:59 am
Forum Regular

vanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura aboutvanessandave has a spectacular aura about

vanessandave - Quoll has been married for many years to an Aussie who refuses to move back to UK (and would not be happy there if he did). You may think that's a cut and dried situation but until you're in that position you have no idea.

For those of us who are stuck here for one reason or another - can't sell the house, can't move because of children in a dual national relationship (even to an ex husband, like me) or where both partners want to live in different countries - you cannot understand the turmoil involved. I sincerely hope you don't find yourself in that situation ever. You might be a little more empathetic if you did.

I think you are missing my point. It is not that I don't have any empathy with her situation, if thats the case she has my sympathy. BUT, she has made her decision and needs to deal with it. Is there any need to drag everyone else down with her.

Vanessa and I are in a dual national relationship (UK and Canada) so we do know what issues this brings, and even if one of us didn't want to live in a particular country we would try and make the best of it, rather than wallow in self-pity.

Dave
Old May 17th 2008, 10:05 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Would you still make/have made the move to Aus if the weather was same as UK?

I am frankly disturbed by the number of people who rate the weather so highly as a motivation for their decision to emigrate nearly 20,000km to a foreign country on the other side of the world.

As an Aussie who's lived in the UK for more than 4 years, I cannot understand why so many people complain about the British weather. It is nowhere near as dreary as they claim; the sun is much softer, the UV Index is much lower; the summers are much gentler, and the overall climate is very mild.

To hear some people talk, you'd think that the entire place was inundated with hail and blizzards for 5 months of the year. In reality, the UK has a very pleasant climate, which I actually prefer to the blistering heat of Australia.

If people just want better weather, there are better options than Australia - and much closer to the UK. There is no way in hell that I would emigrate just for the sake of some sunshine.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.