Would you still Go?

Wikiposts

Would you still Go?

Old May 5th 2003, 9:14 am
Finally back home

sally1968 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Would you still Go?

Originally posted by dotty
I reckon the almost 3 to one exchange rate played a big part in a lot of immigration plans.

This is a hypothetical question, if the pound/ dollar rate went below 2/1 would you still have considered immigrating.?? (Unlikely $ as that is)

Now remember girls and boys this is for fun, no killing each other.
Without a doubt. We didn't even look at the exchange rate when we made our decision. In fact the first time we looked was at least a month after making our decision. The interest rate had no bearing at all on the life choices we have made.
Old May 5th 2003, 11:18 am
BE Enthusiast

jockney is an unknown quantity at this point

For us, it would`nt stop us but would make our change in lifestyle a lot more difficult.When we looked at moving exchange rate in the early stages was not even considered but a severe drop would sour our move,not halt it. jockney
Old May 5th 2003, 11:45 am
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

The exchange rate was not a critical factor when we made the decision and moved a year ago - but it is a complete bummer now - we are in the process of selling our house in the UK and wanting to buy here. For every cent it changes we are going to have a bigger mortgage. But really this is still not impacting on any decision we have make or will make.

Cheers Sandra
Old May 5th 2003, 12:23 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't have made the decision to stay or go any easier but it has made me decide not to sell our house back in the UK.

I might sell it in the future if the exchange rate improves and there hasn't been a house price crash in the UK.

The rent comes in handy.

Dan

Originally posted by sally1968
Without a doubt. We didn't even look at the exchange rate when we made our decision. In fact the first time we looked was at least a month after making our decision. The interest rate had no bearing at all on the life choices we have made.
Old May 5th 2003, 1:00 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by renth
It wouldn't have made the decision to stay or go any easier but it has made me decide not to sell our house back in the UK.

I might sell it in the future if the exchange rate improves and there hasn't been a house price crash in the UK.

The rent comes in handy.

Dan
Apart from Captial Gains Tax on the sale of the property when you sell - do you have to pay taxes on any part of the rent - especially if you are bringing that money into AUS?

Cheers Sandra
Old May 5th 2003, 1:10 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes,

It all has to be declared to the Aussie taxman.

And, sods law, despite the fact thet I've now filled out 2 non resident landlord forms for the UK taxman my letting agent is still witholding over £200 a month for UK tax as the taxman claims not to have received either of them.

I should get it back when the taxman pulls his figer out but these are the sort of aggravations that will make the decision to sell the house easier when the time comes.

Dan

Originally posted by Sandra
Apart from Captial Gains Tax on the sale of the property when you sell - do you have to pay taxes on any part of the rent - especially if you are bringing that money into AUS?

Cheers Sandra
Old May 5th 2003, 1:16 pm
Gone Senile Member

Ok - Thanks Renth just checking cause by the time I pay 48.5% here and rental agent commission renting out was not an option for us, we did try it for a very short while to a couple of family friends ('friends' what a joke) they trashed the carpet (very dirty people) and then did not pay for it or the last months complete money. (so complete cheap b#$%@*d's as well). If anyone has any decent ideas of how I handle it or what they have gone through in terms of legal procedures to get my money I would appreciate it.

Regards Sandra
Old May 5th 2003, 1:21 pm
(It's not my real name)

Our agent gave us 3 different management options, the one we chose included covering rent when people refused to pay and also legal fees to evict them. It's no use to you now though, I know.

I negociated hard with the agent, dangling the carrot that they would handle the eventual sale of the house and got a good deal on the management fees.

I believe the agents fees and the gardener are tax deductable over here in Oz. I don't know for sure yet. I will have to get an accountant to do my tax return before the end of June.

Rgds,

Dan

Originally posted by Sandra
Ok - Thanks Renth just checking cause by the time I pay 48.5% here and rental agent commission renting out was not an option for us, we did try it for a very short while to a couple of family friends ('friends' what a joke) they trashed the carpet (very dirty people) and then did not pay for it or the last months complete money. (so complete cheap b#$%@*d's as well). If anyone has any decent ideas of how I handle it or what they have gone through in terms of legal procedures to get my money I would appreciate it.

Regards Sandra