Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you still Go?

Would you still Go?

Old May 5th 2003, 7:01 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road
Default Would you still Go?

I reckon the almost 3 to one exchange rate played a big part in a lot of immigration plans.

This is a hypothetical question, if the pound/ dollar rate went below 2/1 would you still have considered immigrating.?? (Unlikely $ as that is)

Now remember girls and boys this is for fun, no killing each other.
Old May 5th 2003, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

gbarker is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would I still go???

without a 2nd thought. The only downside would probably be the need to get a small mortgage, or to put off any plans to retrain once I got there. It would probably mean I would take the first job I could find, rather than be patient and find the right one.
Old May 5th 2003, 7:37 am
Forum Regular

james & bev is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely we'd still go. Were doing it for totally different reasons than your mail infers (ie financial) and believe most people on this forum are the same. We are looking forward to the climate, outdoor lifestyle, and generally to having some new and different experiences.

James
Old May 5th 2003, 9:04 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

For sure.
You can't put a price on space.
Old May 5th 2003, 9:06 am
BE Enthusiast

terryg is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you still Go?

Being a pessimistic accountant, when I originally did my budget I included a rate of 2.50 in my computations. I cant see it dropping below 2.40 so no probs (we hope)
Old May 5th 2003, 9:16 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

yep

we have calculated on the basis of 2.50 dollars aswell. But if it fell below we would still go and perhaps consider a small mortgage if we had to. Hey, after waiting 14 years to go back there is not alot to stop me now.....

Cheers BooBoo
Old May 5th 2003, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

karawara88 is an unknown quantity at this point

if the pound/ dollar rate went below 2/1 would you still have considered immigrating.?? (Unlikely $ as that is)
Not a chance. !!

If the exchange was 2:1 I would be far better off here, the beauty of going to Oz is being able to buy a reasonable house outright or with a small mortgage, pay for a car, that way we choose when we want to work and how much of our time gets devoted to it. So spend more quality time together.

Buying a house with a substantial mortgage would mean we both "have" to work, which means earning less than we do here, so more likly to have to get second job or work longer hours, so that defeats the object of spending more time together.

Thats my thinking anyway,.
no doubt I will be shot down for it.
Old May 5th 2003, 12:40 pm
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Yep, I agree if you,re in a position where money is the main factor and work is required by BOTH people full time, well it's pointless you could earn more here and move at a later date (age permiting). It seems everyone who is picking Brisbane will have enough money set aside so they wont have an aussie mortgage, I think they know realisticly work there will be very scarce.
And the chances are their UK qualifacations will be worthless and retraining will be required, during which time your savings will dwindle away because you,re not earning.
So every cent will count.
Old May 5th 2003, 5:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

karen and andy is an unknown quantity at this point

We would definately still go, there's more to it than just getting a good exchange rate. The space, the beauty, the future of our kids, spending time together and nice weather just to name a few.

cheers

Karen and Andy
Old May 5th 2003, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

dibrucewillis is an unknown quantity at this point

Hopefully its going to stick around 2.4 to £.
I think there is a way that you can forward buy but I am not quite sure how it works .I would be prepared to consider this if the exchange rates continue to fall.

Diane

:scared:

Originally posted by dotty
I reckon the almost 3 to one exchange rate played a big part in a lot of immigration plans.

This is a hypothetical question, if the pound/ dollar rate went below 2/1 would you still have considered immigrating.?? (Unlikely $ as that is)

Old May 5th 2003, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Ex-Bournemouth now Sunny Florida, heading for Perth
WannabeWallaby is an unknown quantity at this point

In a heartbeat! Its not the exchange rate that is the motivation, there are plenty of other reasons too.
Old May 5th 2003, 6:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

footie chick is an unknown quantity at this point

The exchange rate definately helps. In the present climate we can afford to change our life for the better. If things go pear shaped then uni loan awaits and business expansion. Amongst other things.

footie chick
Old May 5th 2003, 6:51 pm
Forum Regular

joecan is an unknown quantity at this point

It will definelty have a bearing on our decision. Have to be honest and say that certain aspects of Oz may not look so appealing if we can't come across with a whack of money, and get ourselves established. Not sure about exact figures, but much below 2.4 and we would probably be thinking hard.
Old May 5th 2003, 6:58 pm
We arrived november 2004

kentcoast is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought we had this discussion last week but, the answer's still no, when it comes down to it our main reason for going is probably the most trivial of any here - it's simply time for a change.

Perry
Old May 5th 2003, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

philj6969 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Dotty,

Yes we would still go at 2/1 but every cent drop hurts a lot! $5000.00 per cent to be precise!

Phil.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.