Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you still emigrate if you won the Lottery

View Poll Results: Would you still emigrate if you won the Lottery ?
No, I would give up all plans about OZ/NZ
4.60%
No, I would stay in the UK but have more holidays to OZ/NZ
4.60%
Yes, but I would only stay there for long enough to get PR / Citizenship
9.20%
Yes, I wouldn't change my plans at all
81.61%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Would you still emigrate if you won the Lottery

Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:08 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute
Default Would you still emigrate if you won the Lottery

Just wondering .....

If you were to win over a million pounds on the lottery, would you carry on with your plans to emigrate ????
Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future

I voted the bottom one coz i already here... i would just buy a much grander house in Adelaide...an apartment in Sydney and another one in London to go visit family once a year
Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you still emigrate if you won the Lottery

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Just wondering .....

If you were to win over a million pounds on the lottery, would you carry on with your plans to emigrate ????
Yep, $2,380,000 would go a long way.

Seriously, people migrate for many different reasons. Perhaps those who wouldn't emigrate because they won the lottery could be called 'economic' migrants. Then there are 'new challenge' migrants, 'adventure' migrants, 'lifestyle' migrants, 'climate change' migrants, etc, etc.

OzTennis
Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:35 pm
Forum Regular

Natbat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
Just wondering .....

Yep I would definately carry on with the plans - the money would go so much further over there than here. Plus it would be good to have the money all the time to come back and visit the UK, and by first class too
Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:35 pm
Visa'd Up Dutch Member

flying dutchman will become famous soon enough

I would still emigrate, no second thoughts. but, whether it would still be perth on the top of my list i am not sure. maybe sydney with a harbour view penthouse apartment, a house in the bush and a huuuge campervan to travel the country for a year or so, so i could make a really informed decision about where to live.

have you seen some of the campervans over there? like coaches with washing machines, microwaves, tv vid... aaah, i can dream.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:41 pm
99.99999% there !

EssexNobby is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely. My decision to emigrate has absolutely nothing to do with money, infact I'll probably be taking a cut in salary just to get to AUS !

I've just had enough of the way that the UK seems to be run, the lack of quality of life, too many people in too small a space,....usual reasons for most people I guess ?
Old Feb 20th 2004, 1:46 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis

Seriously, people migrate for many different reasons. Perhaps those who wouldn't emigrate because they won the lottery could be called 'economic' migrants. Then there are 'new challenge' migrants, 'adventure' migrants, 'lifestyle' migrants, 'climate change' migrants, etc, etc.

OzTennis
I suppose I could be considered One of the migrants OzTennis describes.
Money will make no difference to me as I already have enough.
If anything I have more to lose than gain by migrating.I like the idea of a change though.

G
Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Yep!

We have enough money and as G says it will cost to move to Aus. But what we don't have is unlimited time. Both retired and determined to do as much as possible while we can. I can't imagine anything worse than the prospect of living out my days here when I know there is so much to enjoy in the world.

Lesley
Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:23 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Yep. I'd still be here, cos I'm madly in love with an Aussie, and no matter what daft things I may miss, I could never leave him and go back to the UK.

(awwww, soppy, you can tell I've been on the wine tonight!)
Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:42 pm
WBB

we would still have a home in aussie if we won big bucks but chances are we would also have homes in amsterdam and bath....sad but true, they are our two fav places to spend weekends.

Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:49 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by OzTennis

OzTennis
Yep, understand that OzT. Just trying to get a feel for how many people could be described as "economic migrants" and think that going to OZ is a solution for escaping lack of money/assets (Housing reasons primarily I guess). And also whether more money would make people think more about family being left behind etc. From what I've read since joining this forum, there seems to be a perception by some that many people are moving for Better Housing etc.. and just wanted to see if that could be borne out.

Personally we are going come Hell or Highwater and dont care about money at all (well apart from having basics - cat food and car with roof top tent in our case )
Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

natty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to allnatty is a name known to all

Yes I would still go - think of all the fun i'd have house hunting for a gorgeous home with no restraints on price.
There was a house in Tasmania calle Eagles Nest- it had a pool, 5 bedrooms, sauna, steam room, 2 hot tubs and a revolving lounge !! ( would it make me sick though ? ) i'd buy that !!

natty
Old Feb 20th 2004, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

scotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the roughscotvness is a jewel in the rough

I suppose the proof is in the pudding - I have won the lottery and I'm still going

Okay only a tenner a couple of weeks ago! It hasn't changed my life yet
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

bazfer is an unknown quantity at this point

it would make it easier to go! if we had the money to fly back to the uk, or pay for family to come and stay. that would be so much better , than the situation where we can't see being able to afford to travel back to the uk, more than every5-10 years .
we want to go for reasons other than money. though it would be nice to think we will be able to afford slightly better housing than we have at the moment.
Old Feb 20th 2004, 4:28 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea!

Well, we are the 'new challenge' and 'adventure' migrants.
And Oz is sort of my home country, which makes it different too.

Oh, yeah, I voted the bottom one (if that wasn't clear )

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.