Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you risk no INSURANCE ?

Would you risk no INSURANCE ?

Old May 22nd 2006, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

pioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud ofpioneer has much to be proud of
Default Would you risk no INSURANCE ?

We are sending are belongings (everything we own) in a container with J.Mason next month to Perth . My husband does not think we need any insurance. Do people go with no insurance, is it too much of a risk?
Sharon
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:45 pm
A horse walks into a bar.

russmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond reputerussmcp has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you risk no INSURANCE ?

Originally Posted by pioneer
We are sending are belongings (everything we own) in a container with J.Mason next month to Perth . My husband does not think we need any insurance. Do people go with no insurance, is it too much of a risk?
Sharon
Well it'll be sods law without insurance it all goes tits up, and with insurance you'll say when you get it what a waste of money it was insuring your goods
Old May 22nd 2006, 8:47 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Sharon

lets get this straight
you want to put all the belongings that you`ve worked hard for in a big steel box send it 14,000 miles or so via road, rail & ship
and to protect it all your going to keep your fingers crossed

your braver than me

only my opinion but a valid one i thin
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

woogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nicewoogle is just really nice

Originally Posted by steve`o
lets get this straight
you want to put all the belongings that you`ve worked hard for in a big steel box send it 14,000 miles or so via road, rail & ship
and to protect it all your going to keep your fingers crossed

your braver than me

only my opinion but a valid one i thin

When you put it like that, there's no argument
Old May 22nd 2006, 10:39 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Sharon
Defo get insurance, what we did was only insured stuff that we would definately replace should they go amiss.....ie we didnt insure books etc that kids had got as youngsters as these couldnt be replaced......a lot of the crockery etc....we didnt bother either as would be eassily and cheaply replaced, fotographs u cant insure them as u couldnt replace them....we insured all our electrical goods etc and also got electrical derangement on them which came in handy as when we got here the comp was fooked....there was no sign of damage to the boxes, therefore had we not had that extra cover we would have got nowt.
Old May 23rd 2006, 12:46 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by woogle
When you put it like that, there's no argument
All the shippers charge about 3% of value. They use Letton Percival in Liverpool. If you go straight to LP, they will only charge you 1.5% of value for the same cover. Well worth doing IMO - They are really nice and helpful as well.
Old May 23rd 2006, 12:59 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
All the shippers charge about 3% of value. They use Letton Percival in Liverpool. If you go straight to LP, they will only charge you 1.5% of value for the same cover. Well worth doing IMO - They are really nice and helpful as well.
Yes but you'll have to insure the entire load, so in my opinion not worth it as every knife and fork etc will need to be insured.

Just insur the stuff that can be damaged like electrical stuff settees etc we did and our settees were damaged to the tune of $2000 +, we also lost some small stuff that was hardly worth insuring.

Our tuner was damaged and insured for £150 and we were only paid out £60 due to depreciation, so you may pay 3% of the value but it ends up as more like 9%.

They don't all use Letton Percival and ours 2.7 %
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:04 am
Cheeky member

Ransi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond reputeRansi has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't bother with insurance...

Luckily everything arrived undamaged.
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:12 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fraser
Yes but you'll have to insure the entire load, so in my opinion not worth it as every knife and fork etc will need to be insured.

Just insur the stuff that can be damaged like electrical stuff settees etc we did and our settees were damaged to the tune of $2000 +, we also lost some small stuff that was hardly worth insuring.

Our tuner was damaged and insured for £150 and we were only paid out £60 due to depreciation, so you may pay 3% of the value but it ends up as more like 9%.

They don't all use Letton Percival and ours 2.7 %
OK they don't all use LP but a lot do. You don't have to cover everything. They sent us out an inventory and we went through and put prices against the stuff we wanted covered and left out the stuff we didn't. No problem.
Old May 23rd 2006, 1:26 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
OK they don't all use LP but a lot do. You don't have to cover everything. They sent us out an inventory and we went through and put prices against the stuff we wanted covered and left out the stuff we didn't. No problem.
when I enquired about insuring part of the goods, I was told that it could not be, say all (or no more than certain % ) glass/crystal items - ie those items at higher risk.

Whilst we had planned to take out insurance, with everything going on it got forgotten about. Luckly, even if we had insurance we would not have claimed as there were only a few items slightly damaged.

If Mr Payne is to be believed then the industry average for claims is 4%
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:42 am
BE Forum Addict

jond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond reputejond has a reputation beyond repute

Sharon

We insured everything and sods law our move was perfect (thanks Pickfords). But in hindsight I would not of brought half the stuff anyway, a lot of it is cheaper here and most of our furniture doesn't suit our new house and we have got to sell it anyway.

How many of you unpacked boxes and thought what did we bring that for and then through it into the dustbin.

John
Old May 23rd 2006, 8:51 am
Moomin member

peppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nicepeppi is just really nice

Originally Posted by Ransi
I didn't bother with insurance...

Luckily everything arrived undamaged.
Ditto...

But then I am the worlds greatest hater of insurance as I always seem to pay out for it and when I try and claim on it there is always some bloody stupid small print to get them out of paying....!!!!
Old May 23rd 2006, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Sharon
On my return from south Africa, we sent are goods back with a cheap company and cut back on the insurance. When are goods arrived in u.k we had no electrical items ( not one, Kettle, fridge ,TV ,hi.Washing machine etc).We were told they were stolen at Durban in the loading doc.we made a claim on the insurance and we got 6400 Rand, (£450 ) .Insure Well U never Now.
Old May 23rd 2006, 9:23 am
BE Forum Addict

TeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud ofTeresaG has much to be proud of

I think we will probably get insurance when the time comes for us to move. It would be sods law that we would need it if we didn't get it.
Old May 23rd 2006, 9:28 am
BE Forum Addict

ohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond reputeohippy has a reputation beyond repute

We're currently at the 'shall we shan't we' stage. I work for an insurance company and I know that, if there's a way out of paying, they'll find and use it !

Bearing in mind the excess should you need to claim (ours would be £300), the hassle of claiming, the finger pointing (our stuff is currently in storage so who's fault would it be ?) and what I actually would replace should it break etc - I think all we'll insure is the jukebox and white goods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.