Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you risk no INSURANCE ?

Would you risk no INSURANCE ?

Old May 23rd 2006, 12:10 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you risk no INSURANCE ?

Originally Posted by fraser
We were told that we would have to insure everything with LP or they wouldn't take our business.
Probably still works out cheaper though.
Old May 23rd 2006, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

dh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud ofdh1905 has much to be proud of

Hi,
Someone once said to me that it depends on what you are sending across. If its valuable furniture, electrical items, etc then its better being safe than sorry, but on the other hand if you are sending mementos and stuff that is irreplaceable to you but relatively worthless then no amount of insurance will replace those types of things.
Good Luck
Donna x
Old May 28th 2006, 5:06 am
sunshinesarah

sunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud ofsunshinesarah has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by pioneer
We are sending are belongings (everything we own) in a container with J.Mason next month to Perth . My husband does not think we need any insurance. Do people go with no insurance, is it too much of a risk?
Sharon
We didn't take out marine insurance. Luckily, only 1 wine glass got broken.

Sunshine Sarah
Old May 28th 2006, 7:49 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

We came with Crown, were going to insure with LP but they had to have everything - every little thing! - inventoried which would have taken forever. So we insured with Crown.

Breakages came to around $4000 or roughly the same as the premium............ so, depending on how you look at it we ended up with replacements at $4000 cost or even stevens with 28 broken items!
Old May 31st 2006, 2:08 am
amandainaus

amhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant futureamhibbert has a brilliant future

I'd like to risk no insurance, as how on earth do you prove that the removalists/packers damaged/stole your goods?

Did you all take pictures of every item showing its original condition?

What could go wrong? Can it get damaged on ship? - shifting contents etc? But surely if they are packed correctly, even if they bang up against each other, they won't be damaged?

What damage have others had and how did it occur?

Thanks,

AMANDA
Old May 31st 2006, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

jwatsonoz will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by paka
On my return from south Africa, we sent are goods back with a cheap company and cut back on the insurance. When are goods arrived in u.k we had no electrical items ( not one, Kettle, fridge ,TV ,hi.Washing machine etc).We were told they were stolen at Durban in the loading doc.we made a claim on the insurance and we got 6400 Rand, (£450 ) .Insure Well U never Now.
Sorry that happened - B*st*ards. If you only got 450 back after having all that stolen then you would have incurred a loss...

Whether you insure or not should be based entirely on the consequences of something going wrong. If the worst happens (say ship sinks!) then what would the hardship be? If you can afford to replace all your stuff... then low hardship... is the insurance worth it? If you would be devastated by such a loss... high hardship... definately insure. I don't believe in 'sods law' and there have been times when I've not insured things because the worst case consequences could have been dealt with by myself (and my risk assessment was low). They [the insurers] are in it to make money... so if you can 'insure yourself' then that is usually the best way. If you can't, the consequences are high... *then* give them your money especially if the risks are not incredibly low.
Old May 31st 2006, 6:53 am
Forum Regular

tofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud oftofster has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jond
We insured everything and sods law our move was perfect (thanks Pickfords). But in hindsight I would not of brought half the stuff anyway, a lot of it is cheaper here and most of our furniture doesn't suit our new house and we have got to sell it anyway.

How many of you unpacked boxes and thought what did we bring that for and then through it into the dustbin.

John
Hello,

Sorry to stray off topic, but we are looking at Mount Martha/Eliza/Mornington.
What's it like/how are you getting on?
Cheers