Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Has construction work finally dried up in Perth?

Has construction work finally dried up in Perth?

Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:34 pm
Just Joined

john82 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Has construction work finally dried up in Perth?

Hi, We have been thinking of taking the plunge to Aus for a couple years now and narrowed it down to Perth, I have been searching for plastering jobs but they seem to be few and far between. However my friends have just moved back to the UK and said their is still alot of construction work happening in Perth.

Is this the story throughout Australia.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 10:56 pm
Banned

WillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond reputeWillBlack has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Has construction work finally dried up in Perth?

Originally Posted by john82
Hi, We have been thinking of taking the plunge to Aus for a couple years now and narrowed it down to Perth, I have been searching for plastering jobs but they seem to be few and far between. However my friends have just moved back to the UK and said their is still alot of construction work happening in Perth.

All I know is that gyprock jockeys are paid like princesess and act accordingly. I'm in no hurry to employ one if I can possibly avoid it.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

My husband has loads of work on at the moment and more to follow in construction. He's training in wall and floor tiling but had to go in as a brickies labourer for a few weeks to get his face known. he then found a job.
Old Jan 8th 2010, 11:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

ozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond reputeozhappy981 has a reputation beyond repute

On the news a couple of nights ago, that house builders have full order books and are expecting a tradie shortage, because trades will go off to the mines again where they can earn more.

Don't know if this applies to plasterers.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:39 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Where we are in the north there is a very long term (10 years) plan for development. That means thousands of new homes, shopping centres, amenities, etc. Certainly no slowdown of construction in Perth's northern suburbs.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 12:51 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I know a plasterer who is struggling finding work.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

I am in contact with a recruitment agency in the Perth area at the moment who are confident that there is to be an upsurge of construction work in the February/ March period. Unsure as to what type of work they are referring to but the rep is calling me back next week with regards job opportunities.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 9:59 am
Just Joined

john82 is an unknown quantity at this point

That sounds very positive, could you possibly pass on the details of the agencies your in contact with.

thanks
Old Jan 9th 2010, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough

Just forwarded them to you via email. Hope they are helpful mate.
Old Jan 9th 2010, 6:10 pm
ian

mabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to allmabozar is a name known to all

Originally Posted by renth
I know a plasterer who is struggling finding work.
What just one that's ok then. People just can't stop being negative must just be January that longgggg dreery month!

Carol
Old Jan 9th 2010, 11:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Home construction still seems pretty busy although they're saying that will dry up when the first home owners get their houses built as there's no demand behind them. Commercial and industrial construction is full steam ahead with many new skyscrapers going up, lots of mines and gas rigs to be built in the next 10 years
Old Jan 10th 2010, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

and the talk of making Karratha and Geralton major cities and the major plans for the foreshore at Riverside Drive.
Old Jan 10th 2010, 10:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

My husband's a HV electrician and was working at Cockburn Cement yesterday. He said they can't keep up with demand...so it can't be that slow...
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

The Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant futureThe Clarkeys has a brilliant future

what about plumbing? my OH is a plumber (not gas though) and is really panicking about getting a job. heading out in 11 weeks. he;s sent out a few emails but heard nothing back. any suggestions for agencies would be good?
Old Jan 17th 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

lang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud of

Im going back this Thursday with a job to start on the 24th.

I am a joiner and really struggled in Scotland last year. In fact i haven't worked since December and i know loads of others who are in the same boat.

Im lucky that in my time in Perth i made good contacts, and this helped me get a job again. From what my mates are telling me, i think the building trade is doing fine down there

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.