Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you make the move in November?

Would you make the move in November?

Old Aug 17th 2011, 1:09 am
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you make the move in November?

Originally Posted by DeadVim

And I am bloody brilliant.

You still bumm'in the beach, chill'in the shillin? Or you got a job for the giant corporation now?

Is Vim back in the "sold the soul for Corp profit gang yet"?

Moon still the f00kin loon!
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:16 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

The Jacaranda trees blossom in Sydney around November and it's worth coming out to Australia just to see them. They seem to 'hide' for eleven months of the year. It always gets to me seeing the glorious patches of violet/blue everywhere. It's a bit like when the bluebells come out in UK.

On the other hand I arrived in WA on 3 November, 1978 and did not get a job untiil January, 1979, in Sydney.

Maybe stay in 'Pommieland' until about January 3rd and then, whilst everybody else is trudging back to work in the gloom and grey, you can look forward to feeling the hairdryer of a Sydney summer blasting at your face as you step out of the airport.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

saveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to beholdsaveme is a splendid one to behold

ps I meant to say an 'Australian summer!'
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:49 am
PMV
Forum Regular

PMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud ofPMV has much to be proud of

While I agree with the general consensus that it may be harder to find a job, I was lucky.

I moved last Nov, and was looking forward to 3 or 4 months off. However within 1 week of arriving, I had 2 job offers (in IT). Rather than have no time off at all, I managed to stall a start date with my preferred option till first week in Jan.

So although I would agree that if you come in Nov, plan for some time off .. it may not always be the case
Old Aug 17th 2011, 8:24 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
You still bumm'in the beach, chill'in the shillin? Or you got a job for the giant corporation now?

Is Vim back in the "sold the soul for Corp profit gang yet"?

Moon still the f00kin loon!
Vim is still perfecting the art of doing as little as possible.

I had the chance to work for B.L.Zeebub Inc on contract, I decided I'd rather roll my eyes out with rusty spoons.
Old Aug 17th 2011, 3:21 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DeadVim

I got soul but I'm not a soldier.

Great tune, great band......................Never lose your soul!
Old Aug 19th 2011, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

bogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to allbogdan84 is a name known to all

Based on your opinions, I came up with the following plan:

Assuming that the visa will be granted sometime in October, I will refrain from purchasing the flight tickets straight away, but will start applying for jobs in all major Australian citites from England.
I will tell the agents/employers that I will be relocating to their city in 3 weeks. (It's a lie, but will do so if it's very likely to get the job). As most companies are reluctant to offer the job without an in-person interview, I will aim to pass the pre-interview tests and phone interviews while in England, leaving only the final interviews for when I am in Oz. Then, depending on how likely it is to be offered a job by a certain employer and/or by how many final interviews I have in a specific city, will buy a flight ticket to that city around the announced date. The extra amount I will spend on a last minute flight should definitely be less than the amount spent in Oz unemployed and looking for a job.

There is still a small risk of failing all the final interviews, in which case I am back to where I started this thread: looking for a job in Oz in November.

Obviously, if I don't manage to arrange any final interviews from England I will move to Oz in February or March next year.