Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you live near electrical pylons?

Would you live near electrical pylons?

Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:46 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all
Default Would you live near electrical pylons?

Found a great house and we are on the verge of signing a lease. Then when we walked out the front door, my wife noticed power lines stretching across the front of the house. I would say about 20 meters from the house and I would say the nearest pylon itself is probably 200 meters away. Now I did some reading up about living in close proximity and most articles are either UK or US based and to be honest inconclusive on the effects this can have. Although they do talk about links with Leukaemia and that frightens me as I do have a child.

Now I’m not an expert on pylons, but these one's aren’t particular large one in my opinion. So any electrical engineers or experts who know about this who can give me some advice on living close to these.

Thanks

I have attached a link to a pylon that is of similar size:
http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=q&s...6.61,,0,-14.05
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you live near electrical pylons?

Not willingly, no!
Old Nov 7th 2010, 5:56 am
Banned

MrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to allMrJenkins is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Sally Simpson
Not willingly, no!
Ok, I guess I need some more informative information than that So why wouldn't you??
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrJenkins
Ok, I guess I need some more informative information than that So why wouldn't you??
Sorry!
I would definitely want to do more research if I had found my dream house & there was an issue with the location but I would be very concerned about the links with leukaemia & other cancers & frankly, I am not sure that a house, however lovely, would be worth the potential risk to my children or myself for that matter!

http://www.emwatch.com/PowerLines.htm

Last edited by Sally Simpson; Nov 7th 2010 at 6:05 am.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:07 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Would you live near electrical pylons?

It's all underground power in my neighbourhood.

Pylons are ugly things, and I would not live near them if I had the choice. Not concerned about health risks, though.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Some info here:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/Radiati...eStatement300/

Reading all these articles, I wouldn't risk it.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:25 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by IndieG
Some info here:

http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/Radiati...eStatement300/

Reading all these articles, I wouldn't risk it.
Why? They concluded this:

The study found no evidence that proximity to electrical installations, or the magnetic field levels they produce, is associated with increased risk of childhood leukaemia or any other cancer

S
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:43 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Why? They concluded this:

S
Sorry, meant to post two contradictory articles. Haveto hurry, will post the other onelater.

But, I still wouldn't risk it, but that's just me I suppose.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 6:56 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, meant to post two contradictory articles. Haveto hurry, will post the other onelater.

But, I still wouldn't risk it, but that's just me I suppose.
Simple - no.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Found a great house and we are on the verge of signing a lease. Then when we walked out the front door, my wife noticed power lines stretching across the front of the house. I would say about 20 meters from the house and I would say the nearest pylon itself is probably 200 meters away. Now I did some reading up about living in close proximity and most articles are either UK or US based and to be honest inconclusive on the effects this can have. Although they do talk about links with Leukaemia and that frightens me as I do have a child.

Now I’m not an expert on pylons, but these one's aren’t particular large one in my opinion. So any electrical engineers or experts who know about this who can give me some advice on living close to these.

Thanks

No, but only because they are pretty ugly and not for health reasons.
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:06 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

you're prolly going to invest the most amount of money you'll ever spend. why would you add a risk factor even at this stage?

My answer would be no
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by sonlymewalter
you're prolly going to invest the most amount of money you'll ever spend. why would you add a risk factor even at this stage?

My answer would be no
He's only signing a lease, not buying
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:19 am
I'm Old Gregg!

Broad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond reputeBroad Shoulders has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks

Hell No!

I'm shit scared enough of snakes, let alone electric ones
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:21 am
no stressin no fussin....

sonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond reputesonlymewalter has a reputation beyond repute

He's only signing a lease, not buying
ooops well spotted mate, im cooking and drinking and not reading

i still wouldn't go for it though. I get that the evidence is inconclusive re pylons but there are still too many cases of unexplained illnesses so I personally wouldnt risk it
Old Nov 7th 2010, 8:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Are we talking the old style overhead power lines or the high voltage tower things?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.