Yes
38.46%
No
61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Would you let your kid go to Schoolies?

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 3:36 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you let your kid go to Schoolies?

Originally Posted by Simone
Wouldn't drinks/glasses usually be long gone before you noticed you were spiked
Blood test?
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:07 pm
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Blood test?
Uh hum. Right. Yes.

Yes, I believe it is probably a myth that it happens heaps, but it does happen sometimes.

Being sick and dehydration are of course the symptoms of drunkeness(yes, that's not a word is it? )
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:13 pm
wombat42

If l was a parent before l would let the kids go l would go there myself on a fact finding mission. l would have to go from bar to bar sampling he drinks to check they are not spiked, then l would have to attend all those wild beach parties with all those 18 year old girls in Bikinis , just to make sure they are suitable for my kids.

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 4:16 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
If l was a parent before l would let the kids go l would go there myself on a fact finding mission. l would have to go from bar to bar sampling he drinks to check they are not spiked, then l would have to attend all those wild beach parties with all those 18 year old girls in Bikinis , just to make sure they are suitable for my kids.
Are you a "toolie" then?

http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/com...55E662,00.html

VIOLENCE erupted at the opening of Schoolies Week on the Gold Coast yesterday as older men fought rolling brawls while young school leavers watched on.

Tempers flared about 2am as "toolies" - predatory older men who attend the event - marred the relatively peaceful night of school leavers, many Victorian.

Police reported 30 arrests, with only two genuine schoolies.

Earlier, the event was trouble-free due to the supervision of more than 600 volunteers, mainly parents and community groups, who direct schoolies to medical services and chill-out zones.

By 1am, volunteers left crowd management to police and paramedics, with fights breaking out soon after.

In Victoria, Lorne police were bracing themselves last night as hundreds of schoolies began arriving in the seaside resort town.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 5:39 pm
ABCDiamond

Are you a "toolie" then?
Tempers flared about 2am as "toolies" - predatory older men who attend the event - marred the relatively peaceful night of school leavers, many Victorian.
On the schoolies web site http://www.schoolies.org.au they seem to define "toolies" as over 20's.

* schoolies - school kids
* toolies - over 20's
* foolies - under 18's

Just read some of that site, and whoever suggested a long UK holiday (with the kids) at schoolies time has the right idea

Old Nov 23rd 2004, 5:39 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

I vote "yes" for my son and "no" for my 2 daughters.
I'll see if I can edit the poll. Being childless myself I have no idea what I would do if faced with the situation. Maybe a final family holiday from hell instead would do. From what I see it is not too different to kids going off to shaggaluf in the med. Just more wowsers here.
Old Nov 23rd 2004, 6:45 pm
wombat42

If your parents are worried about you going to schoolies all you have to do is tell them the truth about what its all about, Its where kids go to experiment with sex , drugs and alcohol for the first time, that will put their mind at ease.