Yes
38.46%
No
61.54%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Would you let your kid go to Schoolies?

Old Nov 24th 2004, 1:49 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Would you let your kid go to Schoolies?

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E421,00.html

Date-rape drug warning for schoolies
November 24, 2004
POLICE have warned party-loving schoolies not to leave drinks unattended after an empty bottle of the date-rape drug Rohypnol was found in a car.

Hot 'n' heavy ... passion, Surfers-style.
Three men in their 20s were arrested yesterday in Surfers Paradise after they had been talking to teenagers in a car park near the schoolies' entertainment area, police said.

A empty bottle of Rohypnol was allegedly found in a car parked in Clifford Street.

The bottle allegedly contained cannabis and speed but there were no tablets of the date-rape drug.

"It just alerted police to the fact that possibly Rohypnol was around," a police spokeswoman said.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 1:55 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you let your kid go to Schoolies?

Originally Posted by bondipom

November 24, 2004
POLICE have warned party-loving schoolies not to leave drinks unattended after an empty bottle of the date-rape drug Rohypnol was found in a car.

Three men in their 20s were arrested yesterday in Surfers Paradise after they had been talking to teenagers in a car park near the schoolies' entertainment area, police said.

A empty bottle of Rohypnol was allegedly found in a car parked in Clifford Street.

The bottle allegedly contained cannabis and speed but there were no tablets of the date-rape drug.

"It just alerted police to the fact that possibly Rohypnol was around," a police spokeswoman said.
Avoiding Gold Coast at the mo. Next door neighbours teenie girls have gone though and their mum's worried sick. She went out at 4am (I heard the garage doors go) wonder if she took leisurely drive to surfers to check up on her lot? I have 3 boys and there is no way on earth they will ever be going to schoolies! I'll plan a fab holiday for them in the UK!
Old Nov 24th 2004, 1:55 am
wombat42

November 24, 2004

She does'nt exactly look like shes being raped to me

Old Nov 24th 2004, 1:58 am
BE Forum Addict

glittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond reputeglittababe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
She does'nt exactly look like shes being raped to me
And in this seasons green singlet shes looking rather trendy! back to thread though, no they're still not going!!!!
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:07 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I vote "yes" for my son and "no" for my 2 daughters.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

By the time your kids 17 here how will you stop them, they can just drive themselves down there, probably been working for two years too and better able to afford a gold coast holiday than most families.

My son went down with our permission, in fact I cant think of a single kid we knew who didnt go, we trust him so why not. Most of his class had been sexually active for years, all drank, all could drive, most owned cars, all had part time jobs, its a different culture here 17 is not really a kid! Nothing much was going to happen at schoolies that they hadnt already seen or done before.

Anyway he came to no harm they even got their bond back on the apartment.

Drink spiking BTW is very common here can happen to anyone in any pub/club not just teens although they are often targeted.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:16 am
part-time Visa Angel!

mlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nicemlbonner is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
I vote "yes" for my son and "no" for my 2 daughters.

alternatively, if everyone voted 'no' for their sons and 'yes' for their daughters, that problem wouldn't exist either
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:28 am
wombat42

Originally Posted by mlbonner
alternatively, if everyone voted 'no' for their sons and 'yes' for their daughters, that problem wouldn't exist either
Some parents would let their 15 year old son go but ban their 25 year old daughter

Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:31 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich

Drink spiking BTW is very common here can happen to anyone in any pub/club not just teens although they are often targeted.
Don't believe the hype:

Drink spiking - a reality or urban myth?

Presenter: Dave Lennon and Shannon Reid

Monday, 21 July 2003

Over the years, much has been made of the practice of spiking drinks - whether with extra, unsuspected alcohol, or with drugs, including 'date rape' drug, Rohypnol.

With several awareness campaigns being run over the years, and another about to start, Robert Hanson - a chemist and toxicologist with the Forensic Science Laboratory at the Chemistry Centre in Perth - says the idea of drug-spiked drinks is more urban myth than reality.

Mr Hanson explains that the Chemistry Centre is a government agency which has, at the request of the Western Australian police, been conducting a long-term study into drink-spiking.

"We've been doing it now for about 18 months and, of all the samples [where] the victims have requested police involvement, we have yet to find any drug - or sedating drug - which would be indicative of the drink-spiking type crime."

He says the majority of samples taken were within 24 hours of the claimed offence, but that, for technical purposes, they'd like to see people report sooner, within 12 hours. The sooner a crime is reported, the better the chance of tests revealing the presence of any illicit drugs used.

"Drugs like Ketamine are very detectable; benzodiazepans are detectable. However GHB, which is known as 'Fantasy', has a very short half-life and the detection limit of that would be dependent upon early reporting and sampling."

The most infamous of the 'date rape drugs', Rohypnol, didn't come up in the survey at all, despite being targeted. "Rohypnol's been off the market since about 1997," Mr Hanson says.

If spiking is going on, it seems to be with alcohol - people thinking they're consuming single nips, when they're actually drinking a double, or stronger, mix.

"We've correlated the alcohol levels found in the victims, and we've compared that to the alleged amount of alcohol consumed," he says. "And by far and away, the alcohol level found in the blood samples was far in excess of that which would be calculated based on consumption."

Perhaps that result is not surprising. Alcohol is legal, readily available and relatively cheap. Add to that, it can be difficult to effectively spike a drink with a powdered drug made from commercially available tablets, since those tablets are made up largely of inert, insoluble material that leaves a visible residue.

"We've basically declared it [drug spiking] an urban myth," Mr Hanson says. "We believe it's just an excuse to hide abhorrent behaviour or inexperienced drinking, as a way of explaining, or trying to explain away, what young people were doing when they shouldn't be."

Mr Hanson says the research will continue for another year or 18 months.

http://www.abc.net.au/centralvic/stories/s907377.htm
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wombat42
Some parents would let their 15 year old son go but ban their 25 year old daughter

Parents of daughters might be in for a nasty surprise. Boys here tango, boys here tango a lot, boys here aint doing the tango with other boys they have no trouble finding dance partners at all
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:44 am
Forum Regular

sharkbait is an unknown quantity at this point

Was in Surfers on Monday afternoon on business. It seemed fairly quiet by day...bit of shouting from the beach...a few kids on the street....oh yes and hi rise balconies full of kiddies shouting at the tops of their voices at a bewildered female tourist passing by......."show us your n*pples !!!"...quite innocuous really. Bless their little cotton socks.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

I don't have any children but I have a 16 year old sister and 17 year old brother :scared: - I would only let them go together. My brother is very protective of my sister which would make me feel better.
Old Nov 24th 2004, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by renth
Don't believe the hype:

Drink spiking - a reality or urban myth?

Presenter: Dave Lennon and Shannon Reid

Monday, 21 July 2003

Over the years, much has been made of the practice of spiking drinks - whether with extra, unsuspected alcohol, or with drugs, including 'date rape' drug, Rohypnol.

With several awareness campaigns being run over the years, and another about to start, Robert Hanson - a chemist and toxicologist with the Forensic Science Laboratory at the Chemistry Centre in Perth - says the idea of drug-spiked drinks is more urban myth than reality.

Mr Hanson explains that the Chemistry Centre is a government agency which has, at the request of the Western Australian police, been conducting a long-term study into drink-spiking.

"We've been doing it now for about 18 months and, of all the samples [where] the victims have requested police involvement, we have yet to find any drug - or sedating drug - which would be indicative of the drink-spiking type crime."

He says the majority of samples taken were within 24 hours of the claimed offence, but that, for technical purposes, they'd like to see people report sooner, within 12 hours. The sooner a crime is reported, the better the chance of tests revealing the presence of any illicit drugs used.

"Drugs like Ketamine are very detectable; benzodiazepans are detectable. However GHB, which is known as 'Fantasy', has a very short half-life and the detection limit of that would be dependent upon early reporting and sampling."

The most infamous of the 'date rape drugs', Rohypnol, didn't come up in the survey at all, despite being targeted. "Rohypnol's been off the market since about 1997," Mr Hanson says.

If spiking is going on, it seems to be with alcohol - people thinking they're consuming single nips, when they're actually drinking a double, or stronger, mix.

"We've correlated the alcohol levels found in the victims, and we've compared that to the alleged amount of alcohol consumed," he says. "And by far and away, the alcohol level found in the blood samples was far in excess of that which would be calculated based on consumption."

Perhaps that result is not surprising. Alcohol is legal, readily available and relatively cheap. Add to that, it can be difficult to effectively spike a drink with a powdered drug made from commercially available tablets, since those tablets are made up largely of inert, insoluble material that leaves a visible residue.

"We've basically declared it [drug spiking] an urban myth," Mr Hanson says. "We believe it's just an excuse to hide abhorrent behaviour or inexperienced drinking, as a way of explaining, or trying to explain away, what young people were doing when they shouldn't be."

Mr Hanson says the research will continue for another year or 18 months.

http://www.abc.net.au/centralvic/stories/s907377.htm

I've always thought many drink spiking cases are just people not willing to admit they got legless, however knowing kids on the party/nightclub circuit there is no doubt it happens, none at all. Many clubs even give out warnings and advice, schoolies week were supposed to be giving out drink spiking test kits, dont know if thats another myth tho. Liquid E is the latest stuff try telling if thats in your drink? would I know if it was in my drink? probably not but then whos going to fancy dragging me home
Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

November 24, 2004

Only if they'll let me go with them.......
Old Nov 24th 2004, 3:35 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of a friend's (!) drink was spiked with probably liquid E in Northbridge(Perth) 2 weeks ago. She was very sick, and in hospital had to be dripped to rehydrate.

Wouldn't drinks/glasses usually be long gone before you noticed you were spiked

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.