Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you leave a secure job?

Would you leave a secure job?

Old Sep 4th 2010, 10:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you leave a secure job?

Why not agree to help him out whilst you look for something else?
Old Sep 4th 2010, 3:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

spartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond reputespartacus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Broad Shoulders
It's a tough decision to make. I've just done exactly this. I start my new job on Monday after leaving a very secure job in which I survived the GFC even though the company I worked for shed approx 2,000 people globally. I was even starting to make some real headway and getting some pretty good results from my patch when other depts were still feeling the effects of the GFC. It paid amazingly well, had great benefits and it was a company that was established over 100 years ago, so was certainly nto about to under.

The bottom line was that I pretty much hated every minute of the 3 years I was there. The people were great, but the job was sh!thouse and a few months ago we got a visit from our global division head spruiking a new way of doing our work which was about to unsettle some great results we were already achieving. I saw that my job was going to get even more unenjoyable so I began looking for any other ship to jump to. I really didn't care what it was, as long as it wasn't there. This was tough as I have 3 young kids and a wife who is off work for the next 18 months to support. But my sanity was at risk (I know, I know).

I must admit that so far I have been pretty fortunate, in that I got offered a job whereby the money was much better, the resourcing was infinitely better but they have only been around for 2 years, which is a big risk. So job security was weighing heavily on my mind when I was contemplating the offer.

At the end of the day it was a family decision, not just mine and we talked it through as such (although I've vowed never to take career advice from 3 year and 4 month old ever again). I would suggest if you have any dependents or partners then talk it through with them.

The reason I told you my life story was that I see synergies with your story, in that you are not happy about the direction of your job. I decided that enough was enough so moved on. Maybe you should also consider looking elsewhere other than just your brother's business?

Good luck, there is light and I can tell you there is not much better feeling than telling a hated place of work to stick it (well I didn't say it in those words, but you know what I mean)

Top post!
Old Sep 4th 2010, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

itxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of lightitxrd is a glorious beacon of light

Interesting post. Agree with Buzzy and Quoll in that I've learnt working/doing business with family/friends can be a bad idea.

Saying that you sound excited about the PA idea. You're not happy doing what you do now and its not like you are getting paid loads to do it. Go for it! You're not putting all your eggs in one basket as if it doesn't work I'm sure you can get something else. If you don't go for it now you may regret it. Good luck!
Old Sep 5th 2010, 12:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys, I've told my brother I'll think about it and we'll sit down a chat when he gets back from holiday next week.
My overall conclusion is that it is definitely time to leave the bank, at least that's one decision reached!!

Now I've decided that I'm excited about the future so I'll look and see whats out there as well as consider my brothers job.
Like Sally said, I could always work with my brother in the interim with both me & him being aware that long term I'm looking for something else. I think thats probably the way to go.

Thanks a million for sharing your experiences and advice, it has inspired me while at the same time ensuring I hold no illusions. Spot on.
Old Sep 5th 2010, 7:37 am
BE Forum Addict

Deancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond reputeDeancm_MKII has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Hey guys,

Have a decision to make - do I leave a secure job with zero job satisfaction for a much less secure job that I would enjoy more?

The situation is this - I work in branch sales for one of the "big 4" banks and my colleagues and customers are lovely. However over the last 6 months the bank has introduced a new way of selling that I loathe. Basically, if a customer comes in to the bank, even if its just for a minor query like a replacement card or internet banking, we have to sit them down, produce a form and pretty much write a biography about them. We have to ask 3 questions about each of the 5 areas of their lives (career, home, leisure, family, retirement) and use the answers to "give them a full financial solution." (ie, sell them more than they came in for!!)

Now I've been in financial sales for 10 years and have no problems with trying to sell people as much as poss, thats my job. But for some reason I can't get on with this new way of doing things -I've been trained in & used a fair few sales tactics but this one just takes the biscuit.

Over the years in sales I have always found it easy to just smile and play the game at work but I'm just fed up now and have zero job satisfaction. Its got to the point where I'm losing sleep about it cos I'm just not happy and thats a rare thing for me work wise, I'm usually pretty content. Was with my employer for 8 and half years in the UK selling mortgages, and now have been with the bank here for 18 months.

Then along came my brother who lives near me here and offered me a job as his PA. He is a real estate agent. I'd love to give it a go but am SOOO nervous as I would be going from a very secure job to one that is far less secure - my brother is great at his job which means he usually makes good money and could pay me no problems. But like all real estate agents he has lean times too, and if he couldn't afford to pay me how would that affect our relationship? He says we'd have a contract so he'd have to pay me but that counts for nothing if he has no money!

What would your advice be? Stay with the bank cos its secure, and hope the current mad sales methods run their course? Or take a chance on working for my brother?

Thanks for listening.
Never work with family. It's a recipe for disaster. What if your brother has to sack you/make you redundant? How would that affect your relationship?
Old Sep 5th 2010, 8:59 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

At the moment you are worthing WITH your brother to your mutual convenience. When you are working FOR him and you depend on the job, trust me, it's a disaster waiting to happen. Sorry to be so blunt, but that's how I see it.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Mrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of lightMrs Kiwi is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks guys, that seems to be the general opinion so there must be something to it.
Old Sep 6th 2010, 1:02 pm
Forum Regular

Mr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura aboutMr Kilt has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mrs Kiwi
Broad shoulders - love your post, you summed up exactly how I feel and good on you for being brave enough to make the leap and leave. Would love to hear how your new job goes so please let me know and BEST OF LUCK for Monday.

Bermudashorts - thanks for the post, I totally agree, there are more job options than just my brothers. But I do a bit of paperwork for him one night a week at the moment and we work well together and I enjoy it, which is why he's asking me and I'm considering him before he looks for anyone else and I look for another job. I'm always correcting his paperwork and finding better ways to word things so he lets me get on with it which would make for a pretty decent working environment. Its the money side of it, and what happens to our relationship if money goes pear shaped, that worries me.
Hi Mrs Kiwi,

I used to work for a big bank for over 9 years. It was a very secure job with good pay and conditions. Was 20 minutes from my house. I could have stayed there until I retired and had a very nice stress free life.

I really enjoyed what I did however it became boring and unchallenging and was very much in a rut.

I decided to leave and become self employed. I would say it was the toughest decision we ever made but the best one. Once I broke the spell of "stay with the bank", "job for life" it opened up a whole new world of possibilities and as it turned out people in my old work started losing there jobs anyway.

I see it is a tough one but if I were you I would go for it. Nothing is more rewarding than working for a small company where you can see you contribution making a difference. Also if the company is growing then you have a good chance to be in with the foundations and your return in the long run could be much better than in the bank. If you are confident about the relationship you both have then go for it. If you are both up front and discuss your concerns then I am sure you can iron them out.

Let us know what you decide and good luck
Old Sep 7th 2010, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Mr Kilt, well done you for being brave, so glad it paid off for you. Fab story, really inspiring.