Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

would you have a south facing garden?

would you have a south facing garden?

Old Aug 10th 2007, 5:42 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute
Question would you have a south facing garden?

There is a property that appears be ticking all the boxes except one - the rear garden is south facing. (in Sydney)

We could afford the 'premium' if it was on the other side of the road, but not much is coming up, thus there is a risk that a north facing one will not come up in the next 4mths.

We are young family and want to make big use of kitchen/family room at the back with a verandah to extend into outdoor area. With it being a 2 story house it will be in shadow and cooler (ok good thing at some times of year but not others) at the back for a large part of the day.

I'm not sure if I should make this compromise. Have you? would you buy south facing again?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 6:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: would you have a south facing garden?

We have one. We hesitated at first, but it hasn't been a problem in winter and should be an advantage in summer. We have a living area on the north side too, which catches the winter sun.

It seems that quite a few people prefer them that way. One advantage from the perspective of house design is that you can really open up that side of the house to the garden with loads of glass, without getting the greenhouse effect in summer. It depends on how well the house was thought out really. If it seems light enough at this time of year, I'm sure it will be fine.

Originally Posted by walaj
There is a property that appears be ticking all the boxes except one - the rear garden is south facing. (in Sydney)

We could afford the 'premium' if it was on the other side of the road, but not much is coming up, thus there is a risk that a north facing one will not come up in the next 4mths.

We are young family and want to make big use of kitchen/family room at the back with a verandah to extend into outdoor area. With it being a 2 story house it will be in shadow and cooler (ok good thing at some times of year but not others) at the back for a large part of the day.

I'm not sure if I should make this compromise. Have you? would you buy south facing again?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 6:37 am
k76
Forum Regular

k76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nicek76 is just really nice

Originally Posted by walaj

I'm not sure if it is much of an issue here. People go to great lengths to shade and close in their gardens with their Queensland/Paradise/Leisure/Sun whatever rooms. Can't remember to have seen south facing being used much as an argument by real estate agents. If it was important surely they would have used it as they are clearly running out of adjectives!
I think the overall feel of the yard is important. If it's closed in on all sides with no sun it could be a bit like a black hole, and that isn't nice. But a closed in garden with the sun scorching all day isn't nice either...
Old Aug 10th 2007, 7:03 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I honestly don't think it matters. The sun is at a high enough angle for most of the year anyway. I would have thought it ideal if you have little ones as they will be able to play out more because of shade. If it ticks all the other boxes you have, I'd go for it.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 9:43 am

Australian Property is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

I think there is always the must and would like list !

If the house is everything but the garden, but the garden is perfect for the young family and safe etc why wait in this current market.

That wait could cost you dearly and become quite an expensive like - so is a must or a like ?
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to sound stupid here - but what is the preferred orientation of garden in brisbane?

A north or south facing garden?

Am i correct in thinking that a north facing garden will attract the afternoon sun (opposite of UK) or am i being really thick

Do aussies want sun in their gardens or is advantageous to have a non-sunny garden

Been wondering this for a while, so any advice appreciated as we are looking to build when we get over and would be a good idea to know what we're on about when looking at land!
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:48 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sammyg
Sorry to sound stupid here - but what is the preferred orientation of garden in brisbane?

A north or south facing garden?

Am i correct in thinking that a north facing garden will attract the afternoon sun (opposite of UK) or am i being really thick

Do aussies want sun in their gardens or is advantageous to have a non-sunny garden

Been wondering this for a while, so any advice appreciated as we are looking to build when we get over and would be a good idea to know what we're on about when looking at land!
I don't think there really is a generally preferred orientation. Real estate agents rarely include this detail in their blurbs. In the summer months, the sun is dead straight above your head, so it doesn't matter which way your garden faces. In the winter months, you would probably prefer a north facing garden, to get more sunlight. You are correct, it is the opposite to the uk, where a south facing garden is favourite.
Old Aug 10th 2007, 2:51 pm
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

ps - its definitely a good thing to have a shaded / covered area in your back garden. You won't want to be sitting outside everyday when the sun is at its strongest without a shady area to sit in. A lot of houses in Qld (and oz) have decked areas with sofas & chairs, somewhere to sit out of the sun.

cheers
Old Aug 10th 2007, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
I don't think there really is a generally preferred orientation. Real estate agents rarely include this detail in their blurbs. In the summer months, the sun is dead straight above your head, so it doesn't matter which way your garden faces. In the winter months, you would probably prefer a north facing garden, to get more sunlight. You are correct, it is the opposite to the uk, where a south facing garden is favourite.
Aha! Thanks for that Mark

Have noticed a few estate agents citing 'north facing garden' in their blurb so thought it was desirable.

Interesting about the sun in summer as well- i never knew that!

Cheers
Old Aug 11th 2007, 12:12 am
no longer searching

walaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond reputewalaj has a reputation beyond repute

it is not just of being in the sun, but making use of it & positioning around the house to warm up or (try to) keep cool certain rooms, year round, & warming the pool up.

There was someone recently (can't remember who) that had said they would not (buy sth facing again) & wondered if this was a lone opinion or wider spread)

To the question of a must or like, I think it is a like. Will know more when I get chance to look at the open house.