Reload this Page >

Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Old Jul 19th 2015, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

C-Diddy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you go, or stay? Australia v. UK in a circumstance

Originally Posted by quoll
I just don't get the burning desire to become a citizen of a foreign country when you are already a citizen of a first world country. You bring a child into this world, your priorities change and the child is the most important thing not some nebulous dream. Life is what happens when you are busy making other plans!
Hi there. Thanks for your input and thoughts. I will have to argue that point as many many people get that burning desire to change their lives, their circumstances... aim for bigger and better for their futures and their children's futures. How many dads out there are away on business trips for long periods of time while child(ren) and mum at home alone? This would be no different. Just longer periods between visits. Dreams are not nebulous, they are in fact ... strong desires and visions to aim for that once achieved, make you very happy, feel fulfilled, and gain you more self-confidence and more stability. Dreams are a guiding light that are what drive people to do great things in their lives.

I'm not a UK citizen if it must be said. I am an Italian National living in the UK for 10 years (Also a US Citizen). My parents were American and Italian.
I originally came here with an ex-spouse and we split (not my son's mum).

As I mentioned in some other replies above, I am finding the economy here a big challenge. People's attitudes towards hiring well-qualified people (in my area anyway) seems to be very lax and they show little interest. It's driving me mad!

Having a child in the UK now is great, don't get me wrong. I'm just thinking about the future. Like an investment for better life later on.

My son is stable, happy and very intelligent. He lives with his mum and sees me alternate weekends. I have had chats with him about me going back to OZ for work and to get citizenship. At 7 years old, he seems to well understand the need for a parent to work and build a great future, which is amazing to behold for a young person like he is.

In any case, life is what you make it. Letting it just happen is the failure already happened before you realise it. Life is about acting upon instincts, dreams and motivations. You follow them and they take you to incredible places. Sometimes you have to make tough decisions (like this one for me)... but that is why I am seeking people's thoughts and opinions, to gauge my own level of reasoning on this... let's see what happens in the end
Thanks again for your thoughts.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 8:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Is your PR still valid or has it expired?
Hi there. The RRV I have only permanently expires after a 10 year absence from Australia. The travel component (as I was informed by Aussie Immigration) is the short term component which is now out of validity (expired).

I can easily renew my Australian RRV travel component simply by getting a job offer in writing or a contract for work in Australia. This fulfils the ''substantial ties'' requirement.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
But you haven't answered... Is the travel portion of your PR visa still valid or has it expired? If you don't have a valid visa then all of the above is moot.
Patience... lol. I answered all the questions in order they were listed. Your answer is above this one..
Old Jul 19th 2015, 9:32 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CristianD
Hi, that may be an interesting assumption, but a wrong one in this case. Not to be rude. But the situation is I was only gone 5 months last time I went. But I have been in his life fulltime from birth til he was nearly 4. Then after his mum and I split, I've had him alternate weekends ever since I got back from my last Australian 5 month visit. He is quite well a good part of my life at the moment.

I know it's hard to understand details in this type of post, as the full background story is never told as it is usually way too long! lol. Anyway, I see your concern from your point of view, but that doesn't apply in this situation.
My son has known both of his parents equally since (apart from after the split in which I have had him alternate weekends since.

My son has expressed an interest in wanting to live with me already, several times, of his own free thinking, so that is why I think about maybe he might want to come live with me there some day in future. But nothing is set in stone, its all thoughts and ideas at present. Thanks for your time to input.
You misunderstood my post. I didn't assume anything about your relationship with him to date, I was just posing the question as to how your relationship with him would change going forward if you walk out of his life at this point.

As to what his opinion is now, I'd take that with a massive pinch of salt! My seven year old changes her mind constantly. They're meant to at that age.

It will be much, much harder to stay close with the distance you're proposing.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geordie George
You misunderstood my post. I didn't assume anything about your relationship with him to date, I was just posing the question as to how your relationship with him would change going forward if you walk out of his life at this point.

As to what his opinion is now, I'd take that with a massive pinch of salt! My seven year old changes her mind constantly. They're meant to at that age.

It will be much, much harder to stay close with the distance you're proposing.
Hi again Geordie George.
Thanks for you reply. You previously said this:

''Why would you think a child would want to leave a country and a parent they've known all their life for one who chose to be absent? Put yourself in your son's shoes.''

So that is what I provided an answer to, with no misunderstanding. Not a very great deal of info to potentially misunderstand.

I cannot agree with the terminology ''walk out''. It isn't a walkout. That means a permanent leaving. This is a 4 year project for me, with an aim to visit him 3-4 times a year. Then return to the UK after the citizenship is acquired. This leaves the door open for the future with Australia.

I can understand your potential feelings as a parent (with children I assume)? Are you a mum yourself (or a dad?)

Plain and simple, this is a plan to invest in the greater good for the future. It isn't a plan to leave my son forever. And while he is only 7, his thoughts and opinions should not be taken with a pinch of salt, as children understand and know a lot more than they are given credit for.

Thanks again for your opinions.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:12 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again Geordie George.
Thanks for you reply. You previously said this:

''Why would you think a child would want to leave a country and a parent they've known all their life for one who chose to be absent? Put yourself in your son's shoes.''

So that is what I provided an answer to, with no misunderstanding. Not a very great deal of info to potentially misunderstand.

I cannot agree with the terminology ''walk out''. It isn't a walkout. That means a permanent leaving. This is a 4 year project for me, with an aim to visit him 3-4 times a year. Then return to the UK after the citizenship is acquired. This leaves the door open for the future with Australia.

I can understand your potential feelings as a parent (with children I assume)? Are you a mum yourself (or a dad?)

Plain and simple, this is a plan to invest in the greater good for the future. It isn't a plan to leave my son forever. And while he is only 7, his thoughts and opinions should not be taken with a pinch of salt, as children understand and know a lot more than they are given credit for.

Thanks again for your opinions.
I'm a mum. I said in my last post I had a daughter. I also have a son. Hell would freeze over before I only saw my child, in person, 4 times a year. But if dreams are your priority, you only have your son to answer to.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

I'm a mum. I said in my last post I had a daughter. I also have a son. Hell would freeze over before I only saw my child, in person, 4 times a year. But if dreams are your priority, you only have your son to answer to.
I see your perspective from a mum's point of view. But I think mum's are far more attached to their kids than dads are. So I have observed over my many years in life.

I know kids mostly tie down parents, but I think if you have opportunities to make things better for yourself and them... it's good to at least try rather than never have tried. Regrets can be a never ending thing to experience.

Anyway, my son insists that it's ''OK'' for me to go if I must... and is aware of the limiting time we may have to see each other. I of course need to keep considering all things before making a decision.

Old Jul 19th 2015, 10:58 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there. The RRV I have only permanently expires after a 10 year absence from Australia. The travel component (as I was informed by Aussie Immigration) is the short term component which is now out of validity (expired).

I can easily renew my Australian RRV travel component simply by getting a job offer in writing or a contract for work in Australia. This fulfils the ''substantial ties'' requirement.
The maximum RRV for Aus is 5 years, not 10. Renewal is not automatic even with a job offer, and if you've been outside of Aus and let it lapse then you mainly only be granted a 3 month RRV next, just to allow you time to get back and take up the job offer. And the longer you are away the less your chances of tetting another RRV.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:38 am
Cup of tea, Father?

I see your perspective from a mum's point of view. But I think mum's are far more attached to their kids than dads are. So I have observed over my many years in life.

I know kids mostly tie down parents, but I think if you have opportunities to make things better for yourself and them... it's good to at least try rather than never have tried. Regrets can be a never ending thing to experience.

Anyway, my son insists that it's ''OK'' for me to go if I must... and is aware of the limiting time we may have to see each other. I of course need to keep considering all things before making a decision.

For what it's worth, my husband would never abandon his children to chase rainbows. Do whatever you need to do, but don't tar all men with the same brush. Some fathers are there for their children.

You obviously want people to tell you you should go, rather than listening to alternative points of view, so I'll bow out. Good luck to you.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:48 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
The maximum RRV for Aus is 5 years, not 10. Renewal is not automatic even with a job offer, and if you've been outside of Aus and let it lapse then you mainly only be granted a 3 month RRV next, just to allow you time to get back and take up the job offer. And the longer you are away the less your chances of tetting another RRV.
Hi Pollyana,

Sorry, I was not clear when I wrote that. I was not referring to the actual maximum RRV issued travel allowance (5 years), but the actual allowable possession time of an RRV after last departure from Australia. And I was specifically referring to the Class BB, Subclass 155 RRV. That may have caused confusion.

The facts are as follows; as I have confirmed them directly with Immigration as well as an Immigration Solicitor recently. Also, for the fact that I have already done this before nearly 3 years ago and went through the actual process:

RRV (Class BB, Subclass 155 specifically) stays with you for a maximum of 10 years AFTER you last left Australia, if you have not re-entered. After that 10 year absence, you lose it permanently. You would have to start from scratch to gain any new visa.

Another part of this specific RRV is that if you last departed Australia more than 5 years ago... there are various ''substantial ties'' options you can provide to renew the travel component of this visa. However for 5+ years of absence, you ALSO need to provide a ''Compelling Reason'' why you did not return within the first 5 years of absence. The decision and review of this factor is at the pure discretion of the assessing immigration officer on your application. My last re-entry 3 years ago was based on my visa (travel component) having been expired with no re-entry for nearly 6 years. I got a job offer and provided my compelling reasons, and thus was actually re-issued with another 1 year (on travel) visa with no restrictions (not 3 months as you suggested).

If your last departure from Australia is less than 5 years ago, the same conditions above apply, however, there is NO requirement for a compelling reason. Simply a proof of a substantial tie... like a job offer, is actually enough.

This requirements for travel component on this visa are as follows:

If you DID NOT meet the last 2 years of residency, you get a one year renewal, not 3 months. You renew twice (2 x one year, to get your 2 years then you get your 5 year (travel).

If you DID meet the previous 2 years requirement of living in Australia, then you get the 5 year travel component.

In my case, I would get 1 year + 1 year... then the 5 year travel component.

And I confirmed this with Immigration recently so it is up to date info for my specific visa.

Hope this helps clarify, phew that was long, lol.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

For what it's worth, my husband would never abandon his children to chase rainbows. Do whatever you need to do, but don't tar all men with the same brush. Some fathers are there for their children.

You obviously want people to tell you you should go, rather than listening to alternative points of view, so I'll bow out. Good luck to you.
Hi Georgie,

I am not looking for any specific answers, just opinions, however your choice of wording keeps suggesting harsh permanent negative actions. You say ''walk out''. you say ''abandon''. You obviously are passionate about kids being with their parents, but at the same time you slightly come across as aggressive in the way you word things. Almost also like what you are saying is the ONLY choice to be made.

Honestly this was merely an open forum for opinions, but your wording borders on the critical. Again I appreciate your input, however the way you put things makes me feel like I am thinking of committing a crime or something. Plus you are talking about my personal goals and dreams like they are crap.

That may not be your intention but it comes across that way. And many men, not all but many, DO travel extensively and are away from home to make the ends meet, provide for their families, etc... this would be no different.

Anyway, take care and I'll still have to consider all this carefully. I've not made a decision yet. So there isn't anything to be condemning here, nor should there be, either way.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 12:12 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pollyana,

Sorry, I was not clear when I wrote that. I was not referring to the actual maximum RRV issued travel allowance (5 years), but the actual allowable possession time of an RRV after last departure from Australia. And I was specifically referring to the Class BB, Subclass 155 RRV. That may have caused confusion.

The facts are as follows; as I have confirmed them directly with Immigration as well as an Immigration Solicitor recently. Also, for the fact that I have already done this before nearly 3 years ago and went through the actual process:

RRV (Class BB, Subclass 155 specifically) stays with you for a maximum of 10 years AFTER you last left Australia, if you have not re-entered. After that 10 year absence, you lose it permanently. You would have to start from scratch to gain any new visa.

Another part of this specific RRV is that if you last departed Australia is more than 5 years ago... there are various ''substantial ties'' options you can provide to renew the travel component of this visa. However for 5+ years of absence, you ALSO need to provide a ''Compelling Reason'' why you did not return within the first 5 years of absence. The decision and review of this factor is at the pure discretion of the assessing immigration officer on your application. My last re-entry 3 years ago was based on my visa (travel component) having been expired with no re-entry for nearly 6 years. I got a job offer and provided my compelling reasons, and thus was actually re-issued with another 1 year (on travel) visa with no restrictions (not 3 months as you suggested).

If your last departure from Australia is less than 5 years ago, the same conditions above apply, however, there is NO requirement for a compelling reason. Simply a proof of a substantial tie... like a job offer, is actually enough.

This requirements for travel component on this visa are as follows:

If you DID NOT meet the last 2 years of residency, you get a one year renewal, not 3 months. You renew twice (2 x one year, to get your 2 years then you get your 5 year (travel).

If you DID meet the previous 2 years requirement of living in Australia, then you get the 5 year travel component.

In my case, I would get 1 year + 1 year... then the 5 year travel component.

And I confirmed this with Immigration recently so it is up to date info for my specific visa.

Hope this helps clarify, phew that was long, lol.
There is no travel component to a RRV. It exists to allow travel.

However you are obviously the first BE-er to have a single RRV valid for 10 years so good luck to you. Maybe you could tell others-who have provided substantial ties but only ever been granted 5 years-how you managed to get it!

Sveeral posters have had 2 x 5 years, or 1 year or 3 months where appropriate, We did have someone who got a third 5 year one a while back, can't remember the name unfortunately, so in effect he got 15 years in total but that was unusual and it was clearly 5 years at a time with a need to justify it each time.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 1:21 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
There is no travel component to a RRV. It exists to allow travel.

However you are obviously the first BE-er to have a single RRV valid for 10 years so good luck to you. Maybe you could tell others-who have provided substantial ties but only ever been granted 5 years-how you managed to get it!

Sveeral posters have had 2 x 5 years, or 1 year or 3 months where appropriate, We did have someone who got a third 5 year one a while back, can't remember the name unfortunately, so in effect he got 15 years in total but that was unusual and it was clearly 5 years at a time with a need to justify it each time.
Hi.

I know you are a forum moderator and have alot of experience, but that doesn't mean I (being new to this forum) do not know what I am talking about.
I'm simply sharing what I know to be fact, based on research and disclosure by official Immigration agents.

There IS a travel component to an RRV in my class, I cannot tell you about any other visas, as I do not know.

It is not something that is disclosed as regular knowledge. The reason I know about this is because I asked Immigration many detailed questions until they finally explained it to me this way. There is the Permanent Residency part (for restrictions -or no restrictions- on living and working, and then there is the travel part. The TRAVEL part is what actually expires, not the actual work and residence rights.

The permanent residency PART permanently expires after 10 years of consecutive absence (not talking about TRAVEL here). Yes you can only get a maximum of 5 years TRAVEL in one go, but I have had two of those already in the past 19 years (and a 'one year' PART 6 years after last departure). I became a Permanent Resident in 1996, so how would you answer that with what you are telling me I am wrong with? Never heard of 3 months, but maybe it's an uncommon case.

I think the confusion here is mainly that you think I am talking about a 10 year travel component which I am NOT. I'm talking about the overall possession time you can keep a visa after last departure... AND still be allowed to renew the TRAVEL part.

The MAX TRAVEL component available IS 5 years. But again that is TRAVEL. Of course your work and residency rights come into play as soon as you arrive.

Anyway, I'm not here to stir the pot, I am sharing facts that I have checked, verified and also experienced myslf. Again be reminded this is for my particular visa Class BB, Subclass 155.

I'm not talking about any other visa, as they are all different.

Hope that clarifies in full now.
and in any case, I'm not in here to discuss my visa knowledge and facts, just asking what people think about staying in UK or going back with regards to my family situation. Happy to answer visa fact questions if I know the true facts though! Like above...

How did we get so off topic?? :P

OK, anyone have any more advice about going or staying that isn't overly critical or an attack on my goals and dreams? :P

Last edited by C-Diddy; Jul 19th 2015 at 1:38 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 2:08 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry you won't like my opinion much more on than Geordie's....

You are clearly looking for someone to validate your dream and say it's ok go live your dream. You need to be honest with yourself. You are choosing to put your desires above your child's wellbeing. Do you really feel you contribute so little to his life now that you can just walk away from his life? You might not like the terms "walk away" or "abandon" not as pretty as "following your dream" but in essence that's what you're doing, and might be words that your son will throw back at you in five years when he is actually old enough to understand what your plan meant to him.

And from my husband's point of view, he would never leave his children just to see them a few times a year. I have a friend with a 7 yr old and 4 yr old, her husband has to work away for four months at a time (deep sea diver) her children are heartbroken when daddy has to leave and they are desperately looking for a job to keep him at home all the time.

Honestly I feel sorry for your ex too... You are basically leaving her a single parent with very little in the way of respite and parental support. You sound very selfish.
Old Jul 19th 2015, 2:17 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about going back to Australia again after 3 previous attempts to settle down and become a citizen. It has been my long term (20 years now) dream to become an Aussie Citizen, however, always have had family things come up and get in the way.

Now, I am feeling once again the urge and motivation to go back and settle in until at least I can get my Aussie Citizenship. I am already a Permanent Resident and have had this since the 1990s.

The only thing that is weighing on my mind is that I have a 7 year old son here in the UK and the last time I left OZ was mainly for his sake to be around for him more. That was nearly 3 years ago.

I'm looking for people's opinions on what to do, because I am really vexed with indecision now. My all time biggest dream is and always has been to become an Aussie Citizen. Yet I am still feeling angst at the thought of going away from my boy again for long periods of time. I DO plan on visiting him around 3-4 times a year as and when possible until I get the Citizenship.

So my question is really.... Should I just go for it and realise my dream... or sacrifice that dream and stay around for my boy ? My heart says realise the dream.... but then it also says stay for your boy. It's very perplexing!

Would appreciate anyone's opinions, thoughts, suggestions...

Just to clarify, I'm not planning to go away forever, just long enough to fulfill citizenship, so I can freely travel back and forth etc until my son is old enough to perhaps move back to OZ with me some day...

Thanks for reading
As the mother of a 12-year-old son I couldn't even contemplate living in another country and only seeing him 3-4 times a year, regardless of the opportunities that country offered. Hell I'm worried about missing him when he goes on a week-long school trip to Canberra next month lol

You say you son is okay with you moving to Australia but he is only 7 and probably just saying that to please you. You can't expect a child of that age to have the emotional maturity to understand what you moving to the other side other planet entails in reality. It's also unfair to him.

Also have you thought about how your son will feel having to say goodbye to you after each visit to the UK ?

You come across as a caring, loving dad with a son who clearly adores you. Don't you want to spend as much time as possible with him when he is so young? It's precious time once lost you can never get back.

Before you know it he will be a teenager and off doing his own thing with friends and may not want to spend as much time with his parents. And how can you be so sure he will definitely want to move Australia with you one day ? He may want to stay with his mother.

Sorry if this sounds harsh and not what you want to hear but is living in Australia until you acquire citizenship really going to make you as happy as you think ? Only you can answer that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.