Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

View Poll Results: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen
Yes
46.97%
No
53.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:14 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by weeman111
Hi,as soon as I can I will be getting Aussie citizenship,will keep UK passport in the hope Scotland willgain independence some time,if I had to give up British citizenship I would not lose any sleep over it,Cheers Dave
i wouldnt give it up, well maybe if they offered a years free beer
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:14 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by demigrate
My wife will face the issue of possibly giving up her German nationality when we gain citizenship so she may decide that myself and our son will take Aus citizenship along with our British nationality and she will stay German. She could keep her German nationailty but Germany will make her jump through hoops to keep dual nationality. She wants to keep an EU passport which I guess is fair enough.

Darren
What are the chances of your wife getting a UK passport? Can she attain British nationality for the purposes of retaining a EU passport?
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:16 pm
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I was born in Scotland. Does that mean I am Scottish?
yip, lucky u
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:17 pm
Just Joined

dadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant futuredadpad has a brilliant future

I am South African but I gave up my South African citizenship in order to keep my British citizenship. If I had to lose my British citizenship to acquire Australian citizenship then I would have to say 'categorically' not interested.

My British citizenship comes first and foremost.

However I am pleased to say that I have both Australian and British citizenship.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:18 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soapy
yip, lucky u
Aye!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:19 pm
Master of verbal pish©

Aye!
well it really depends on where in scotland u were born?
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:36 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not British, I'm Australian, so I would without a doubt ... ermm ... hold on ...
Old Apr 27th 2006, 12:38 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

Originally Posted by soapy
well it really depends on where in scotland u were born?
Kirkintilloch is what it says one me wee passport...
Old Apr 27th 2006, 1:11 pm
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by Toryglen-Boy
Im not British im Scottish - so I would without doubt take Australian Citizenship.
My Point Exactly - good on ya !
Old Apr 27th 2006, 9:17 pm
home again, home again

janeyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud ofjaneyray has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Having been here almost three years, but still have another three years at least to become an Aussie. They certainly make things hard for those of us married to Australians, and this has made me a lot less enthusiastic about "becoming" an Aussie.
Personally, I am proud of being British, and would choose that above Australian any day. My boss at work has just found out that he is entitled to british citizenship and as pleased as a cat with two tails - which is lovely to see!!
Good on yeh Pollyana

I have dual nationality and if I were told I could only have one, I would give back my Aussie passport.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 10:19 pm
Forum Regular

demigrate is an unknown quantity at this point

What are the chances of your wife getting a UK passport? Can she attain British nationality for the purposes of retaining a EU passport?
As far as I am aware she would need to live in the UK for 4 or 5 years to get a UK passport and we have only lived back in the UK for 2 years. She can't stand the UK and after living in Europe I'm not exactly pleased with being back. The quicker we can get out the better. She'll just have to stay a PR for the rest of her life or deal with all the German paperwork.

It has so far taken almost 2 years to have my sons double barreled surname accepted by the German authorities and it's still not fixed so I dread to think how long it will take to get dual nationality sorted.

Darren
Old Apr 27th 2006, 10:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Edens Landing, half way between Brisbane and Gold coast
Paul&Ann-Marie will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Having been here almost three years, but still have another three years at least to become an Aussie. They certainly make things hard for those of us married to Australians, and this has made me a lot less enthusiastic about "becoming" an Aussie.
Personally, I am proud of being British, and would choose that above Australian any day. My boss at work has just found out that he is entitled to british citizenship and as pleased as a cat with two tails - which is lovely to see!!

Hi all
Having been here almost 2 years i can apply for Australia citizen but i am going for both.
I was born in UK so way should i gave my whole life up just because i came out here. i am going both ways British and Australia citizenship.Just like the kids because there are half oz anyway because of there dad.
just look at the world UK is not that bad. Every were you live has the bad ways so good luck to england in the world cup lol.

And good luck to morecambe football club on Saturday hope you win off the the playoff if there win lol

Take care

ann marie
Old Apr 27th 2006, 10:32 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

I am British and proud to be so, so I guess the answer is no!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 10:47 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

No way. I imagine I will always be English first. Of course, in 30 years time when I've lived more of my life in Australia, who knows. But for now I'm English first and very much proud to be. But then I didn't leave England because I didn't like it, or hated the way it was heading. I left for a change of scenery. I know I will be back living in the UK for a while at some point in my life, my Aussie gf wants to live there for a while.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 11:13 pm
Forum Regular

ClareW will become famous soon enoughClareW will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by brisnick
No way. I imagine I will always be English first. Of course, in 30 years time when I've lived more of my life in Australia, who knows. But for now I'm English first and very much proud to be. But then I didn't leave England because I didn't like it, or hated the way it was heading. I left for a change of scenery. I know I will be back living in the UK for a while at some point in my life, my Aussie gf wants to live there for a while.
Likewise. Still love England, never going to stop being English but I'll happily take dual nationality once I've done enough time here. The only time I'd be concerned about it would be for my kids (already dual nationals) if either country introduced compulsory military service for its citizens. Then, the relevant passport would go in the bin!! Can't see it happening any time soon, though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.