Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

View Poll Results: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen
Yes
46.97%
No
53.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

pomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant futurepomref has a brilliant future
Default Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen.

This question came up were i worked today I was asked this by my Australian colleagues.

With the way governments change legislation and if a bill was passed back in the UK as so many citizens now go overseas and the government is defiantly working this out.

how many Ex pats I'm thinking would renounce being an Australian?

My answer to my Australian colleagues was Id never give up being British.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:34 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by pomref

This question came up were i worked today I was asked this by my Australian colleagues.

With the way governments change legislation and if a bill was passed back in the UK as so many citizens now go overseas and the government is defiantly working this out.

I don't see it happening anytime soon, and I hope it never happens. Also if it ever did happen I would think it unlikely to be retrospective legislation. It's a hard call for me (friends and family in NZ), only distant family (and no friends) in UK but UK has particular opportunities that don't exist in OZ. Because of family and friends in NZ I'd have to keep my OZ/NZ citizenship in the final anaysis.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:38 am

Bella Donna is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by pomref

No. I'd be happy to have dual citizenship, but I'm British and always will be.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:41 am
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bella Donna
No. I'd be happy to have dual citizenship, but I'm British and always will be.
Completely understand the sentiment. I will always be a Kiwi first and foremost, it's my homeland.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:47 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Quite happily,

Australia is my home, where my life is and where my heart is, I have no intention of renewing my Uk passport when it expires.

Lynn
Old Apr 27th 2006, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

My only real reason for retaining my UK nationality would be to make visits back to the UK and Europe easier (no need for visas etc). However this isn't really a serious enough reason to retain my UK nationality over a prospective Australian one. If and when we take up Australian citizenship (really depends on legislation and nothing changing about how we feel at the moment) then I would have made a commitment to Australia and would give up my UK nationality if it was required.
There is always the question of thinking about the children though as a UK passport opens doors for them that they may choose in the future and I would worry about taking that opportunity away from them. It is mine and my husband's choice to move here, they are too young to make a reasoned choice on the matter.
Overall a tougher call that you initially expect.
Nicky
Old Apr 27th 2006, 8:05 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I would keep my British Citizenship.

The irony is that whilst many British migrants will swear they do not intend to return to the UK most do not take out Australian citizenship.

G
Old Apr 27th 2006, 8:44 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

If Australia votes to become a republic then do you not have to swear allegiance to Australia and solely Australia. When we get to citizenship and if we have no intention of returning to the UK i think we will take it up, until then we would go with dual-citizenship.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 8:44 am
G'day Mate

Boomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of lightBoomerang is a glorious beacon of light

How about those that are having trouble finding their identity?

My case: I'm 24 (in June) was born in Portugal (Madeira Island) lived there until I was 14 then my parents got divorced, mom wanted a new start and we moved to Uk, lived here ever since (10 years), then I have been back and forwards between Uk and Australia (Friends/Family reasons) last year finally decided to move to Australia something I always wanted but due to being young and not enough capital for such a permanent move I decided to carry on working until I am financially stable to move ( will go sometime next year). I can't speak too much about Portugal because I just lived there for the first 14 years of my life, regarding the Uk I have to thank mom (and UK) for such a brave move during a complicated period in her life, for me it was a very good move because I was able to achieve and do many things I wouldn't be able to do in Portugal in terms of study and career, but having been so many times to Australia having first hand experience of the country I know I am doing the right thing for me, and yes when the time arrives to get citizenship and passport I will do it with pleasure and enthusiasm because after all I will be part of the country/society and will become an aussie and will adjust for such change and way of life in Australia.

Unlike many other people that when migrate to Australia (or any other country) I will not refuse a change in customs/way of life and so on, after all Australia is my new home!

So in a few words, yes I could revoke my passport.

Regards.

PS - I'm writing this from work and have to time to correct spelling/grammar errors (boss is around heheheh), so apologies.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 9:21 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

Like a shot.............................unfortunately there is little to be proud of being British at the moment

BUT that is only my opinion and how I feel about Britain.

loz x
Old Apr 27th 2006, 9:23 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by loz
Like a shot.............................unfortunately there is little to be proud of being British at the moment

BUT that is only my opinion and how I feel about Britain.

loz x
Im not British im English - so I would without doubt take Australian Citizenship.
Old Apr 27th 2006, 9:30 am
Sunning it up in Benowa

Location: Body in benowa, Mind in Benowa, the whole fricking thing in benowa MAN !!!!!
Jane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond reputeJane and Russ Middleton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mick_newcastle
Im not British im English - so I would without doubt take Australian Citizenship.
Too Right mate

I would happily take dual citizenship, if push come to shove then i would take Ozzie citizenship, although i am English, but not proud to be.....
Old Apr 27th 2006, 9:34 am
Sharks out of the Pool

mick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond reputemick_newcastle has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by Jane and Russ Middleton
Too Right mate

I would happily take dual citizenship, if push come to shove then i would take Ozzie citizenship, although i am English, but not proud to be.....
Have to say though there is a language barrier and everyone in scotland can understand me but no-one below Yorkshire stands a chance.
Howay the Lads! Give is that Kangaroo Passport while your on Pet!
Old Apr 27th 2006, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to cities that never close down
From New York to Rome and old London Town
But I realise something I've always known,
I still call Australia home.

I'm always travelling - I love being free
And so I keep leaving the sun and the sea
But my heart lies waiting, over the foam
I still call Australia home.

All the sons and daughters, spinning 'round the world
Away from their family and friends
But as the world gets older, and colder
Its good to know where your journey ends.

And some day we'll all be together once more
When all the ships come back to the shore
And we'll realise something we've always known
We still call Australia home....sing along)

I must put my poem to music some time, I think it would bring a tear to the eye of most Aussies when they hear it, particularly those overseas.

I'm a dual national and as others have said your first allegiance is to 'home' no matter how far and wide we roam.

Of course until recent times it was not possible for Aussies to take out dual citizenship but it was possible for Brits to do so. As Grayling says many Brits don't take it out and it is puzzling why not because there is everything to gain and nothing to lose if you do. You are not giving up your 1st allegiance by doing so, you are taking up a 2nd allegiance, you are not being disloyal to home (although that must be the thinking behind not doing it). It's not like 'you can't support 2 football teams'!

OzTennis
Old Apr 27th 2006, 9:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Having been here almost three years, but still have another three years at least to become an Aussie. They certainly make things hard for those of us married to Australians, and this has made me a lot less enthusiastic about "becoming" an Aussie.
Personally, I am proud of being British, and would choose that above Australian any day. My boss at work has just found out that he is entitled to british citizenship and as pleased as a cat with two tails - which is lovely to see!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.