Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

View Poll Results: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen
Yes
46.97%
No
53.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:40 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

i cant honestly see why a fair majority of brits refuse to take out australian nationality .There are a lot more advantages to having a brit passport just out of the pure fact the amount of countries one can live and work in .I personally would never revoke british citizenship ,and a good friend of mine even flew back to the uk to have her baby to guarantee his citizenship .
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:43 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by sassenach
you will be in for a right bollacking at heathrow if you decide to enter the uk on an aussie passport especially as it shows you were born in the uk and those queues for foreign national are a right nightmare .Duel national duel passports is the way ahead .

FFS...all I said was that I wouldn't bother with renewing my British passport, if I got Aus Citizenship.

I would still be a British citizen due to the reciprocal agreement between the two countries.

You do not have to have a passport in your hand to be a Citizen of a country.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:44 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassenach
a good friend of mine even flew back to the uk to have her baby to guarantee his citizenship .
Is she british???

If so she could have saved herself a load of hassle and had it here.

Lynn
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hutch
I sometimes wonder why some people bother applying for Australian citizenship at all. It appears to have less meaning than a Tesco clubcard. If you're always going to be British, then don't apply to be Australian.
So for example, what would happen to a Brit married to an Australian and living in Australia and their wife/husband died or the couple were separated? The Tesco clubcard would allow the non-Australian to continue living there but Australian citizenship wouldn't. Yeah right!

Citizenship also has implications in terms of receiving medical treatment, social security payments, standing for public office, starting up some businesses, status of children etc, etc. It is also worth pointing out the recent law changes have made it 50% more difficult (residency requirement) to acquire (someone's comment about being given out in cornflakes packets).

OzTennis
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:03 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis
So for example, what would happen to a Brit married to an Australian and living in Australia and their wife/husband died or the couple were separated? The Tesco clubcard would allow the non-Australian to continue living there but Australian citizenship wouldn't. Yeah right!

Citizenship also has implications in terms of receiving medical treatment, social security payments, standing for public office, starting up some businesses, status of children etc, etc. It is also worth pointing out the recent law changes have made it 50% more difficult (residency requirement) to acquire (someone's comment about being given out in cornflakes packets).

OzTennis
I'm not talking about the usefulness one way or the other - everyone can see that holding both passports is a useful thing. I also realise that people are people and will use the system to their or their family's own ends. What bothers me is the attitude towards it - particularly from the 'two years and then we're out of here' crowd who appear to want citizenship for the sole reason of giving their offspring a chance for an extended vacation in Australia. I think it demeans the whole process and Australian citizenship in general.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:12 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

What bothers me is the attitude towards it - particularly from the 'two years and then we're out of here' crowd who appear to want citizenship for the sole reason of giving their offspring a chance for an extended vacation in Australia. I think it demeans the whole process and Australian citizenship in general.
Right there with you Hutch.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:24 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not talking about the usefulness one way or the other - everyone can see that holding both passports is a useful thing. I also realise that people are people and will use the system to their or their family's own ends. What bothers me is the attitude towards it - particularly from the 'two years and then we're out of here' crowd who appear to want citizenship for the sole reason of giving their offspring a chance for an extended vacation in Australia. I think it demeans the whole process and Australian citizenship in general.
I agree that this is a bad thing for the integrity of Australian citizenship and what it means to actually be an Australian citizen.

We won't be doing this and we are 110% fully committed towards standing up and eventually being counted as Australian citizens. However, I'm not sure that this will make my wife and I Australian (in the strictest sense - but maybe time will change this? I don't know?) BUT our little baby boy will be 100% Australian and I'm quite proud of that fact. I think that we are giving him a chance that we never had and "belonging" to a country that is proud and not draped in apathy.

I am English (or Scottish as I was born there) and this fact is inextricable. I will always be English and I will always want to hang onto my British citizenship, heritage, origins and identity. It's part of me and where I came from and giving it up would be denying part of what actually makes me what I am.

If we end up with dual nationality (and we fully intend to) it doesn't mean that we will see Australia and being Australian as the inferior choice. Quite the contrary but what cannot be changed is that we will be forever English and I'm happy with that BUT just not happy to live here.

Last edited by DunRoaminTheUK; Apr 28th 2006 at 10:28 am.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

What bothers me is the attitude towards it - particularly from the 'two years and then we're out of here' crowd who appear to want citizenship for the sole reason of giving their offspring a chance for an extended vacation in Australia. I think it demeans the whole process and Australian citizenship in general.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more! I have been more than bothered with this attitude and it seems quite prevalent. Haven't commented before because it makes me really angry. If you feel no allegience to a country it is totally immoral to accept citizenship. Rant over!
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pomref
Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen.
Of course I would.

Just one precondition.

A bullet in the head.

Why would anyone in their right mind trade citizenship in a remote sandbox for UK citizenship, which also provides access to a whole bunch of European countries.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 11:40 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
Why would anyone in their right mind trade citizenship in a remote sandbox for UK citizenship, which also provides access to a whole bunch of European countries.
Maybe because said country is also home to braindead asinine whinge-bags with their heads stuck up their arses.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 12:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Circumstance One - because they would be less likely to come across many with your attitude - except those who migrate there and then spend the rest of their life moaning about the place and how it is so far behind the apparently, competitive, civilised world from whence they came and then returned.

OzTennis
Old Apr 28th 2006, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
I agree that this is a bad thing for the integrity of Australian citizenship and what it means to actually be an Australian citizen.

We won't be doing this and we are 110% fully committed towards standing up and eventually being counted as Australian citizens. However, I'm not sure that this will make my wife and I Australian (in the strictest sense - but maybe time will change this? I don't know?) BUT our little baby boy will be 100% Australian and I'm quite proud of that fact. I think that we are giving him a chance that we never had and "belonging" to a country that is proud and not draped in apathy.

I am English (or Scottish as I was born there) and this fact is inextricable. I will always be English and I will always want to hang onto my British citizenship, heritage, origins and identity. It's part of me and where I came from and giving it up would be denying part of what actually makes me what I am.

If we end up with dual nationality (and we fully intend to) it doesn't mean that we will see Australia and being Australian as the inferior choice. Quite the contrary but what cannot be changed is that we will be forever English and I'm happy with that BUT just not happy to live here.
Amen to that. dom
Old Apr 28th 2006, 12:14 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

You mispelled "Islamic Caliphates", which is what your weak and liberal Eurabia is turning into.

Enjoy being a foreigner in your own country mate.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 12:20 pm
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by carolinegorka
FFS...all I said was that I wouldn't bother with renewing my British passport, if I got Aus Citizenship.

I would still be a British citizen due to the reciprocal agreement between the two countries.

You do not have to have a passport in your hand to be a Citizen of a country.
keep your shirt on i am only stating a fact ,you wont be able to go through the brit section with an aussie passport ,just trying to do you a favour and save you the time lineing up for the inevitable grilling
Old Apr 28th 2006, 12:23 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Is she british???

If so she could have saved herself a load of hassle and had it here.

Lynn
she is british ,i dont know what the legal implications are for future offspring of a child that is entitled to british citizenship even if born in australia and for this reason she may have decided to have the child in the uk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.