Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

View Poll Results: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen
Yes
46.97%
No
53.03%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Old Apr 28th 2006, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

Originally Posted by dadpad
I am South African but I gave up my South African citizenship in order to keep my British citizenship.
That's strange. Under South African law you are allowed dual citizenship - not sure about triple though it would be nice then my husband could have all three

I have S.African and have been able to apply for Aussie for almost a year now but just haven't gotten round to it. If I ever had to pick it would be a very tough call, all the paper in the world wouldn't change my history or my roots but on the other hand if I was stuck in the middle of g-d knows where in trouble one day, I would probably prefer to have the assistance of the Australian govt. Hopefully, I never have to make that decision.

Last edited by Shellfish; Apr 28th 2006 at 2:58 am.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 5:07 am
vb2
bradford 2 brissy at last

vb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud ofvb2 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Would you give up being an British Citizen to become Australian Citizen

yeah that would make sense!! cheers for that
ps. the job didnt work out quit today - therefore still up for that coffee lol!!
regards
vb2

Originally Posted by mand8002
Once you have citizenship you just apply for an Australian passport and keep your UK one. My husband has both an Aus passport and a UK one. When he got his Aus one he was told to use his Aus one when entering and leaving Australia and his UK one when entering and leaving UK.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 5:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by shorrock
Go figure, you have just pledged to make AUS your home and within a few months of this pledge you are spending more than 12 months o/s. SHould be grounds for rejection of citizenship.

KS
Not everything is as clear cut as you make it. There are very valid reasons why someone may have to go o/seas. I will be going o/seas as thats where my employer wants me for a while.

The important issue is a continuing association with australia. My wife is Australian, I will keep my house here in Australia and when I have finished my stint, I will be back in Australia. During my placement, I will be back in Australia regularly. Whilst I am o/seas I will be setting up projects with Au companies and universities (good for the balance of payments)

Getting citizenship before I leave is important as it means I will have no trouble getting back once my work has finished, as there is no garantee an RRV will be as easy to get in the future
Old Apr 28th 2006, 7:31 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Doesn't really matter as Australia makes it too easy to get citizenship anyway. It's a moot point.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 7:39 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Its all hypathetical anyway, but perhaps a more interesting question would be....

If after 3 years you had to apply for citizenship or your pr would be void and dual nationality wasn't permitted THEN what would you do? In other words you could only remain in Australia if you gave up your British citizenship....... it's never going to happen but it would be interesting to see where peoples loyalties lie.

Lynn
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:08 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by movetoperth
Its all hypathetical anyway, but perhaps a more interesting question would be....

If after 3 years you had to apply for citizenship or your pr would be void and dual nationality wasn't permitted THEN what would you do? In other words you could only remain in Australia if you gave up your British citizenship....... it's never going to happen but it would be interesting to see where peoples loyalties lie.

Lynn
Easy, I'm English end of story.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:14 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by movetoperth

Lynn
The US's "permanent" residence only lasts 10 years. At the end of that, you need to go through the procedure again, which makes Australia's visa system look like Narnia's.

Great way to encourage people to become citizens. Then again, most people who immigrate to the US want to be Americans. That nations excels at absorbing other cultures.

Personally, I wouldn't give up Australian citizenship if you held a gun to my head.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 8:26 am
Forum Regular

hawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of lighthawk2005 is a glorious beacon of light

Yes, Australia is home now, not the UK.

The Uk is a memory that becomes a little more distant & what goes on there becomes more & more irrelevant to me as each day passes
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:15 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

I sometimes wonder why some people bother applying for Australian citizenship at all. It appears to have less meaning than a Tesco clubcard. If you're always going to be British, then don't apply to be Australian.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:19 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born in England....but my home now is here.

I have no intention of renewing my UK passport when I become a Australian Citizen.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:32 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Peter
Personally, I wouldn't give up Australian citizenship if you held a gun to my head.
I think that's a moot point as ceasing to exist means that you no longer have claim to any nationality.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:33 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinegorka

I have no intention of renewing my UK passport when I become a Australian Citizen.
Well, with all due respect....that's just silly. Why burn that particular bridge? If you ever return to the UK (for whatever reason) you might be glad of having kept your UK citizenship?
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:35 am
Banned

sassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to beholdsassenach is a splendid one to behold

you will be in for a right bollacking at heathrow if you decide to enter the uk on an aussie passport especially as it shows you were born in the uk and those queues for foreign national are a right nightmare .Duel national duel passports is the way ahead .
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:36 am
Account Closed

CasG is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DunRoaminTheUK
Well, with all due respect....that's just silly. Why burn that particular bridge? If you ever return to the UK (for whatever reason) you might be glad of having kept your UK citizenship?
If I do have to...then I'll apply for a new one at that time.....or get a holiday visa.

You can be a Citizen without having a passport you know.
Old Apr 28th 2006, 9:38 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

You can be a Citizen without having a passport you know.
These would be hollow words for an immigration officer at any of the UK airports, but yes, you are correct.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.