Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would you advise a migrant family to move from London to Sydney/Melbourne?

Would you advise a migrant family to move from London to Sydney/Melbourne?

Old Mar 16th 2015, 9:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you advise a migrant family to move from London to Sydney/Melbourne?

Originally Posted by troioitroi
Hi all, I appreciate your advice, even brutal and honest one. But this is a genuine query. I am not interested in opening a heated debate for its own sake.

Perhaps I was naïve to think Australia is inherently easier than England. But pls understand that here, the media, and my own circles, keep saying how Britain is still a class-ridden society, private schools matter, etc. As a columnist in the Guardian said lately:

“The answer is that social mobility remained at its slow pre-industrial pace. Status persists as strongly in the Cameron meritocracy as in pre-industrial England. Lineage is destiny. At birth, most of your social outcome is predictable from your family history.

An illustration of the power of lineage even in modern England comes even from the first names children receive at birth. Naming your daughter Jade means she has one hundredth the chance of attending Oxford as a girl whose parents chose for her Eleanor. Similarly for Bradley versus Peter.”

Social mobility barely exists. So don’t expect it to solve inequality | Gregory Clark | Comment is free | The Guardian

That is why I wondered Australia can offer better opportunities for migrants, ‘outsiders’. I might be naïve, but that does not mean it is not worth asking.
Thanks,
I wouldn't be bothered what the media says and no matter where you go, you'll always hear horror stories. If you have a good life get on with it and enjoy.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 9:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you advise a migrant family to move from London to Sydney/Melbourne?

“The answer is that social mobility remained at its slow pre-industrial pace. Status persists as strongly in the Cameron meritocracy as in pre-industrial England. Lineage is destiny. At birth, most of your social outcome is predictable from your family history.

An illustration of the power of lineage even in modern England comes even from the first names children receive at birth. Naming your daughter Jade means she has one hundredth the chance of attending Oxford as a girl whose parents chose for her Eleanor. Similarly for Bradley versus Peter.”

Social mobility barely exists. So don’t expect it to solve inequality | Gregory Clark | Comment is free | The Guardian

Thanks,

Ummm I just keep thinking a country with names like Jaxzon, Brokk, Dwayne, Dazza, Charnae, Carleene, may possibly be not exactly what you are looking for
Old Mar 16th 2015, 11:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Ummm I just keep thinking a country with names like Jaxzon, Brokk, Dwayne, Dazza, Charnae, Carleene, may possibly be not exactly what you are looking for
Old Mar 16th 2015, 11:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Lol. Girls nothing wrong with a good old Dazza, especially if he's got a bird called Shazza.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 11:48 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Have to put my hand up for that one! A friend of mine called her daughter Brandi
Old Mar 16th 2015, 11:50 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
Lol. Girls nothing wrong with a good old Dazza, especially if he's got a bird called Shazza.
I'm a Dozza and I did go out a couple of times with a Daz. Although he was English so I guess that doesn't count.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond reputeKim67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I'm a Dozza and I did go out a couple of times with a Daz. Although he was English so I guess that doesn't count.
You should date a greek boy called Cozza.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 12:18 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kim67
You should date a greek boy called Cozza.
...and they could call their daughter Lozenge, shortened to Lozza, and.....doesn't matter
Old Mar 16th 2015, 5:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

You believe the Grauniad? Oh dear. Move immediately!
Old Mar 16th 2015, 8:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all, I appreciate your advice, even brutal and honest one. But this is a genuine query. I am not interested in opening a heated debate for its own sake.

Perhaps I was naïve to think Australia is inherently easier than England. But pls understand that here, the media, and my own circles, keep saying how Britain is still a class-ridden society, private schools matter, etc. As a columnist in the Guardian said lately:

That is why I wondered Australia can offer better opportunities for migrants, ‘outsiders’. I might be naïve, but that does not mean it is not worth asking.
Thanks,
To be brutally honest your problem is you. Australia won't solve your insecurities. Had you have said that you were up for moving because you are addicted to 9 months of summer rather than 3, then you'd have received lots of help.

There are many foreigners in the UK who have made a success for themselves. Perhaps you should start by making a list of them and research how they did it. Start with Kylie Minogue. A bogan from Melbourne who by passed the Aussie slog and went straight for the British jugular.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

It's quite a complex issue this one IMO, tis a brave soul that takes that utters this opinion on a UK board. I have often said that the best thing I left behind in the UK was the Class consciousness system... I still stand by that view.

Jad did make a good point re the names though and if anything if there are people that feel they are moving away from the masses there does seem to be the reverse pressure on some to dumb down somewhat. I guess my view is enhanced somewhat by living in amongst what is probably the strongest left wing intelligentsia area in the country. So it's a bit difficult to say what the rest of the country is like after all of my decades in this locale.

You dont get doctors/lawyers/teachers/business leaders calling you "Mate" in the UK as a normal everyday greeting though... eh ?

So to the OP, The race issue re London v Melbourne or Sydney will be an insignificant factor... Whereas the Class issue could involve poltical leanings to some degree. Melbournes Inner North is very different to Sydney's North shore I would imagine on this issue... Although both are good locations..... A bit like Islington/Camden/Notting Hill v Christchurch or Surrey. I'm guessing the UK lefties would be far more class conscious than their Aus counterparts though.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Mar 16th 2015 at 9:42 pm.
Old Mar 16th 2015, 10:41 pm
NJJ
BE Forum Addict

NJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond reputeNJJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by quoll
You believe the Grauniad? Oh dear. Move immediately!
The Guardian? A journalist from the Guardian?
Old Mar 16th 2015, 10:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
You dont get doctors/lawyers/teachers/business leaders calling you "Mate" in the UK as a normal everyday greeting though... eh ?
Really............. I know a number of posh boys in the UK who often use the term "mate"

Forget the doctors and lawyers. How about some royalty

Old Mar 17th 2015, 7:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
It's quite a complex issue this one IMO, tis a brave soul that takes that utters this opinion on a UK board. I have often said that the best thing I left behind in the UK was the Class consciousness system... I still stand by that view.

Jad did make a good point re the names though and if anything if there are people that feel they are moving away from the masses there does seem to be the reverse pressure on some to dumb down somewhat. I guess my view is enhanced somewhat by living in amongst what is probably the strongest left wing intelligentsia area in the country. So it's a bit difficult to say what the rest of the country is like after all of my decades in this locale.

So to the OP, The race issue re London v Melbourne or Sydney will be an insignificant factor... Whereas the Class issue could involve poltical leanings to some degree. Melbournes Inner North is very different to Sydney's North shore I would imagine on this issue... Although both are good locations..... A bit like Islington/Camden/Notting Hill v Christchurch or Surrey. I'm guessing the UK lefties would be far more class conscious than their Aus counterparts though.
I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say that a lot of your post is outdated at the very best.

Regarding the OP's missive.
They want to leave behind a country that took them in from whatever place they came from ( they seem strangely quiet on that front) as they fear a 'class asked society will somehow ruin the kids they are bringing up on £100k. Yet at the same time they want to move to a country where they think they will have a better chance of moving their kids to the 'top of society'.

How can you want to leave one situation and actively pursue the same in another? By elevating your kids to the 'top of society' you are acknowledging those levels of society exist. Surely in this classless utopia that you seek, everyone should be at the same level, just doing different jobs?

I don't think the Op's issue is was class at at all, in fact I think they crave a society based on class but just want an easier ladder to climb.

Last edited by Tr1boy; Mar 17th 2015 at 7:59 am.
Old Mar 20th 2015, 10:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

if you can earn big bucks and transfer that potential to Melbourne, it can be a very nice life indeed. I actually think it can work because Londoners get big cities and find Melbourne easier as a result (it's simply not as big, the CBD and surrounds are a lot smaller) or often are already economically established - look at BuzzieB and his success. If you come from a UK provincial town then Melbourne or any Australian city can be a bit of a shock.

It's harder and harder though.

I was looking out of my office window the other day and yet again it hit me - set the life up the right way and it will work well and Melbourne can be one of the nicest places to be. Have a big gap somewhere and life can feel rather less special. We've been here over 10 years so all the opportunities have opened up - all the little things you do over summer, or winter etc fall into place. You know where to go, and when, and who to do it with.

When you have a proper job, with prospects, and a nice home on acreage or in the inner burbs with access to the arts, parks, beaches, sport and work and leisure, access to ski fields, walking locations, and vineyards - and have a sense of belonging and community, then Melbourne is great. Rush hour - simply avoid it (I refuse to drive in rushhour from home to work) - or learn the rat-runs - if they exist for your route. I surprised myself a few years by discovering one run from one inner city location to another which takes minutes and solves a lot of issues - in rush hour. It gets me from my work to my play with little hassle or stress.

Live in an outer burb, marginalised from a professional job with good prospects, in what Bernald Salt (look him up!) calls the 'naff' places, or caught up in rushhour traffic then it can all seem a lot worse.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.