Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Would like to yake my car to Oz

Would like to yake my car to Oz

Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:00 am
Just Joined

Justen Karlsson is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Would like to yake my car to Oz

My daughter is emigrating to Brisbane later this year and myself and my wife would like to follow after 2 yrs when they can sponsor us. I own a Jaguar XJS V12 Convertible that I would like to bring with me, it is very very low milage and immaculate condition, its also my pride and joy.

Can anyone give me any information on what the process is and all the turmoil I will come across
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:16 am
Forum Regular

MRG175 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Would like to yake my car to Oz

Originally Posted by Justen Karlsson
My daughter is emigrating to Brisbane later this year and myself and my wife would like to follow after 2 yrs when they can sponsor us. I own a Jaguar XJS V12 Convertible that I would like to bring with me, it is very very low milage and immaculate condition, its also my pride and joy.

Can anyone give me any information on what the process is and all the turmoil I will come across
Poor Yak , may take a while and bandits may be a prob

To ship car is quit expensive so if you pay the money i don't think there would be much hastle just a big cost , when you could buy a much better car out there
Old Feb 19th 2008, 11:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks MRG seems mine and your ideas on cars differ though, modern cars do not excite me at all, take the bumpers off and half the car is missing. Plus at the end of the day it is one of the last great Brit Cars produced. But thanks for the info. the more you get the more insight you have, this is a great site and the info people give is invaluable.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit if I owned a XJ12 convertible I'd want to bring it over as well. There has been lots and lots of posts about this in the past - the consensus is don't bother unless it really is a valuable classic. With yours I would certainly check it out as I would argue it is a classic now [if not it will be].

In the meantime read up on this : Car Importing

[link copied from a previous post by h2oskineil]
Old Feb 19th 2008, 12:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

From what I have read, it is quite a process and costs quite a bit.

But, you're not going to find that car ever again, so it's most probably worth it. There was an extremely detailed thread on this forum I read whilst searching. I'm not sure whether being a classic car, it may differ from the regualtions of a modern day car.

I really wanted to take my car with me, but being a modern car, replacing it with a similar model of age/milage/condition shouldn't be too difficult, even though they are extremely over-priced in Australia.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:48 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

Although not in your class, we took our MGB GT to NSW, it only cost us the price of the shipping and the cost of an inspection at the other end. Worth every penny, we thoroughly enjoyed our car in Oz and when we eventually sold it, we got more than double what we would have got for it in the UK.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

ulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant futureulpul has a brilliant future

I have done this and can offer the following:

Shipping in a sole use container was about 2000-2500pounds from London. A couple of hundred for insurance (wasnt worth as much as yours would be).

You are taxed when it comes in, all based on either book or declared value. It would most likely be book for you as I think they are available here. Mine was done on declared.

Then, depending on how long you have owned it for, depends on how it is complied. A personal import that has been owned for longer than 12 months is easier to comply than something come in under that. The emissions regs for one are easier.

Off to work now but will try and jump back on here tonight if you have any more questions.
Old Feb 19th 2008, 8:50 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

There's plenty of threads about this... Your car might be an exception to the general rule that it's just not worth it...

I had an XJS-V12 once... Bought in '92 and kept for 13 months... Jaguar had it back 14 times... 3 days after I picked it up there was a big pool of greeny fluid under it... Apparently it takes 2 days to disconnect the engine and lift it out so you can replace the engine/gearbox seal to stop the transmission fluid pissing out all over the place... Eventually, with the help of my lawyers, we got rid of it... NEVER A JAGUAR AGAIN...
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DrWho
There's plenty of threads about this... Your car might be an exception to the general rule that it's just not worth it...

I had an XJS-V12 once... Bought in '92 and kept for 13 months... Jaguar had it back 14 times... 3 days after I picked it up there was a big pool of greeny fluid under it... Apparently it takes 2 days to disconnect the engine and lift it out so you can replace the engine/gearbox seal to stop the transmission fluid pissing out all over the place... Eventually, with the help of my lawyers, we got rid of it... NEVER A JAGUAR AGAIN...
Was yours the convertible, the coupe is just a waste of space and has no value whatsever. I only do 3000 per year, and the main problem I have had is a leaky Steering rack and pipe that feeds the rack. I do all my own maintanence, and the car although 20 years old has only covered 36,000 miles. the bigest problem you have with this model is what is under the front drivers side wing, the expansion bottle (Plastic) open to heat and warping, this overflows and the liquid rots the drivers wing, anyone with this problem get shut.
Old Feb 20th 2008, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Blossom
Although not in your class, we took our MGB GT to NSW, it only cost us the price of the shipping and the cost of an inspection at the other end. Worth every penny, we thoroughly enjoyed our car in Oz and when we eventually sold it, we got more than double what we would have got for it in the UK.
Many thanks for that reply, like yourself the older cars have more charm and charactor than new ones
Old Feb 20th 2008, 6:19 pm
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

Was yours the convertible, the coupe is just a waste of space and has no value whatsever. I only do 3000 per year, and the main problem I have had is a leaky Steering rack and pipe that feeds the rack. I do all my own maintanence, and the car although 20 years old has only covered 36,000 miles. the bigest problem you have with this model is what is under the front drivers side wing, the expansion bottle (Plastic) open to heat and warping, this overflows and the liquid rots the drivers wing, anyone with this problem get shut.
It was the coupe... The list of faults was endless... it took months to sort out a fuel starvation problem... it would run fine and then you'd come to a roundabout, see a gap and pull out only for the car to stutter and leave you with a 40 tonner bearing down... Once I couldn't get past a Mini on the A1 it was choking so badly... eventually some bright spark thought rerouting the fuel lines so they didn't go over the top of the exhaust boxes might be a good idea and hey presto... Then there was the chronic knocking noise from the transmission every time it went over a depression in the road... that took months too... could be here forever with the list of grief this pile of shit caused me... When it ran properly it was great... silky smooth, magic ride, etc... but that wasn't very often...! Said I'd never have another British car and then in early '05 I found a '96 DB7 Volante with FAMSH and only 8k on the clock... loved it but sold to come out here... Should have brought it, worth £40k in Blighty but $150k in Sydney...!
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 2:07 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by DrWho
It was the coupe... The list of faults was endless... it took months to sort out a fuel starvation problem... it would run fine and then you'd come to a roundabout, see a gap and pull out only for the car to stutter and leave you with a 40 tonner bearing down... Once I couldn't get past a Mini on the A1 it was choking so badly... eventually some bright spark thought rerouting the fuel lines so they didn't go over the top of the exhaust boxes might be a good idea and hey presto... Then there was the chronic knocking noise from the transmission every time it went over a depression in the road... that took months too... could be here forever with the list of grief this pile of shit caused me... When it ran properly it was great... silky smooth, magic ride, etc... but that wasn't very often...! Said I'd never have another British car and then in early '05 I found a '96 DB7 Volante with FAMSH and only 8k on the clock... loved it but sold to come out here... Should have brought it, worth £40k in Blighty but $150k in Sydney...!
Great Car Doctor, the fault youhad with your XJS is common there is a conversion shield to overcome this, or as you did just re-route, but judging by your comments you must have brought a bad one, mine is kept in a heated garage during the winter and is fully serviced every year no matter what. I never seem to have any problems, just had nylon bushes on, it stops roll at high speeds and a TWR body conversion only got 2" of ground clearance now so have to be careful
Old Feb 22nd 2008, 7:39 pm
Timelord

...only got 2" of ground clearance now so have to be careful
Have you been out here before...? I'd say it won't matter where you go, that low clearance is going to get you into trouble...