Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Wot TV? Analogue, Digital, Fox or Washing Machine?

Wot TV? Analogue, Digital, Fox or Washing Machine?

Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:27 am
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough
Default Wot TV? Analogue, Digital, Fox or Washing Machine?

Just wondering what television providers people use. As far as I'm aware you can chose from: Analogue Terrestrial (free), Digital Terrestrial (free), Fox (pay), Optus (pay), any others?

I only ask as I'm using analogue terrestrial and as I'm not a big fan of soaps / reality TV or CSI type shows I end up watching a bank screen or some bloke in a 4x4 driving through the outback on Bris31.

If you go the pay route how much do you pay per month and do you recon you get good value for your dollars?

Cheers

Papa Z
Old Apr 28th 2005, 5:02 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice
Default Re: Wot TV? Analogue, Digital, Fox or Washing Machine?

I recently bought a free-to-air digital tv receiver w/ hard disk recorder for all of three hundred bucks. Picture quality from a bog standard shared antenna in our block of units is flawless, and the unit has component video and digital audio outputs (some shows are even broadcast in 5.1!).

You'll be disappointed if your looking for extra channels - I get ABC 1&2, SBS 1&2, 7, 9, 10 and about twenty channels of crap, shopping stuff, christian channel, parliament - though there is some interesting material on NSW44, some travel shows, surfcams etc, but on very low bandwidth.

It does have a bunch of timers built in though, so if you can be arsed to tell it what to record (I tell it to get stuff that's on weekly so I don't have to remember to watch it then) it becomes very handy - just check through the log and choose what to watch at your leisure. It'll take about 30 hours of dvd quality broadcast.

For my money, about A$1k per annum for fox is far too much, better spent at the pub for watching sport or blockbuster for movies IMO.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 5:06 am

madsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond reputemadsad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zentack
Just wondering what television providers people use. As far as I'm aware you can chose from: Analogue Terrestrial (free), Digital Terrestrial (free), Fox (pay), Optus (pay), any others?

I only ask as I'm using analogue terrestrial and as I'm not a big fan of soaps / reality TV or CSI type shows I end up watching a bank screen or some bloke in a 4x4 driving through the outback on Bris31.

If you go the pay route how much do you pay per month and do you recon you get good value for your dollars?

Cheers

Papa Z

foxtel is $70.00 a month and unless you want it for the sport, dont waste your money.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 7:32 am
BE Enthusiast

Sue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant futureSue from Manchester has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=4lex]I recently bought a free-to-air digital tv receiver w/ hard disk recorder for all of three hundred bucks. Picture quality from a bog standard shared antenna in our block of units is flawless, and the unit has component video and digital audio outputs (some shows are even broadcast in 5.1!).

Sounds a brilliant piece of kit. If I bought one of them presumably the input would be through that box and therefore the UK TV would work? Where did you get it from?
Old Apr 28th 2005, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

The Hun is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 4lex
I recently bought a free-to-air digital tv receiver w/ hard disk recorder for all of three hundred bucks. Picture quality from a bog standard shared antenna in our block of units is flawless, and the unit has component video and digital audio outputs (some shows are even broadcast in 5.1!).
Yeah, I'd be interested to know if it works with UK TV too.

Mike.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Zentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the roughZentack is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by The Hun
Yeah, I'd be interested to know if it works with UK TV too.

Mike.
Digital Terrestrial TV for the UK and AUS use slightly different frequency ranges:

Australia http://www.dvb.org/index.php?id=232
UK http://www.dvb.org/index.php?id=229

So as I understand it, if the manufacturer hasn't just made a model of decoder capable of working globally you might find it won't work if you change countries. But then I haven't seen any posts from anyone who has actually tried.

There is a good forum for PVR's (Hard disk based video recorders) here in Oz:

http://www.dtvforum.info/

Cheers

Papa Z
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:13 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Z, we have foxtel digital which we are quite happy with. Unless you watch tv 24/7, you should find something of interest to watch. If you watch a hell of alot of tv you will find stuff repeated over & over (eg. they usually run the same episode of a program at least twice in a 24 hr period). But there are a hell of alot of channels available & we dont even have any of the movie channels. We actually have 2 decoder boxes, 1 for the kids to watch in the family room & one in our main living room.

We also have a hi definition digital box as well, however our new house doesn't have a terrestrial aerial, so its sitting gathering dust until we get one installed.

I know that there is now a second ABC channel on digital, but Id be interested to know if there are the same number of channels up here in Brisbane now as Alex mentioned. Does anyone know?
Old Apr 29th 2005, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

JackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond reputeJackTheLad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by madsad
foxtel is $70.00 a month and unless you want it for the sport, dont waste your money.
We have it, and use it for documentaries,national geographic, news, comedy channels, food and lifestyle channels, oh and sport.

It just depends how important these kind of things are to you. If you've had these channels in the UK you know what to expect. Probably after a year or two we will have seen every single programme, as they repeat them repeatedly.

We got it free for 6 months with the tv we bought, so are only getting the bills now. I think we are tied in for 2 years, and then we will decide if we want to keep it.

Cheers,
JTL
Old Apr 29th 2005, 3:35 am
Look at me kimmie

leanda will become famous soon enoughleanda will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Zentack

Cheers

Papa Z

After having all digital channels in the UK we now just have the Aussie basic tv channels, 7 , 9 , 10 and ABC and to be honest I dont miss all the lifestyle channels, the cooking programmes and the Getting New Life things that were on, unless you are into sport I wouldn't bother, its nice to actually do things in the evenings rather than sit in and watch tv, and the kids don't miss it either, they have their ABC kids channel on for a while in the afternoon and then when thats finished and normally before hand they are off doing sports, playing outside and generally enjoying themselves without sitting in front of the box.

And this is from a once addicted Soap fan who now couldn't care less whats going on in the world of make believe. Dont waste your money.
Old Apr 29th 2005, 5:59 am
someone's had 'Alex'...

4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice4lex is just really nice

Originally Posted by Sue from Manchester
Sounds a brilliant piece of kit. If I bought one of them presumably the input would be through that box and therefore the UK TV would work? Where did you get it from?
Undoubtedly, assuming your UK TV has Scart, component video or composite video inputs. The box does not have an RF modulator, meaning it cannot pass its signal to the tv via antenna coax.

I'm of the understanding that the only problem bringing UK TV's is the PAL sound frequency is different, this is not an issue with this box as it decodes the sound too and passes it to your TV/amp as appropriate. Mind you, if you've not shipped the telly as yet, it seems Oz is importing boatloads of big LCD screens, saw a 32" widescreen for just AUD 2000 in an electrical shop recently.

Picked mine up from eBay for 270 odd plus shipping.