Worth the wait

Old May 1st 2003, 10:16 pm

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by dotty
That is true. Two story homes are not so popular here, unless they are "architectural" type homes to captrue views etc. Reason, Aussies have been brought up with single story homes. Older people dont want stairs, this comment starts at 40 ish here, and youngs with kids want single story as they consider stairs dangerous! Trust me to a pom that sounds stupid but its what they say. New houses here are what people want. 20+ years old is only usually purchased if in a very good area where land is now depleted, then you do it up. Investors usually want new too, better depreciation tax wise.

My tips, Buy New if possible, only old if in incredibly good area, waterfront, or close to City etc (This may not apply in Syd Melb where houses are generally older in good areas)

Always go for single story, unless you can capture ocean views, build in tree tops etc (pole home).

Go for light colours, Darker the house, hotter the house.

If you are buying views, make sure they are from the living areas, not bathrooms etc.

Check your aspects, they are most pedantic about that here, Qld they avoid the west like the plague, because it will make the house like a furnace. In Uk you want to capture the Sun, here they are probably going to be trying to avoid it.

Check the popularity of pools before putting one in. They can make a house harder to sell, unless you are in a area where they can be used most of the year.

Dont rush in, real estate agents will tell you everything you want to hear, especially when the smell the newly converted pounds.

All Excellent points Dotty.
We've some friends who live right on the riverside in Mooloolaba they bought cheap years ago and built a beautiful single storey home. The sort we'd kill for. The irony is the lands now worth more without their home on it and they can't afford to bulldoze and develop the site to realise it's full potential. He feels like the pauper on millionaires row.
Changing the topic slightly we saw a couple of the old timber Queenslander homes being moved on lorries. Speaking to one of the hauliers, apparently most are moved from prime locations, usually ocean views so that large two storey homes can replace them. The Queenslanders were sold off very cheaply by the developers average $25k Is it common practice? and, is the build quality of these older houses sufficient to warrant re-siting? I'd always looked at them as a very time consuming home all that woodwork to repaint regularly, not to mention the white ants and termite problems.
I'm trying to talk the wife out of wanting to live in one so comments appreciated
Old May 5th 2003, 6:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

God your miserable some of you!! I love our new house and it's better than we could have ever dreamt of in the uk. And i can afford not to work so i see my son and the new one into primary at least!! (I was f/t in UK).

I hope PB you are a UK millionaire otherwise you will be sorely dispapointed if you think Padbury and my new pad is a dive!!! I think it's perfect heaven.

BTW- BB has just discovered that after his flight his bogies are really hard- he just sniffed and 'nearly took his throat out'!! Oh- how lovely to have them here at last!!
Old May 5th 2003, 6:14 am
BE Forum Addict

dotty is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by cresta57
All Excellent points Dotty.
We've some friends who live right on the riverside in Mooloolaba they bought cheap years ago and built a beautiful single storey home. The sort we'd kill for. The irony is the lands now worth more without their home on it and they can't afford to bulldoze and develop the site to realise it's full potential. He feels like the pauper on millionaires row.
Changing the topic slightly we saw a couple of the old timber Queenslander homes being moved on lorries. Speaking to one of the hauliers, apparently most are moved from prime locations, usually ocean views so that large two storey homes can replace them. The Queenslanders were sold off very cheaply by the developers average $25k Is it common practice? and, is the build quality of these older houses sufficient to warrant re-siting? I'd always looked at them as a very time consuming home all that woodwork to repaint regularly, not to mention the white ants and termite problems.
I'm trying to talk the wife out of wanting to live in one so comments appreciated
Those old removal homes are about $25,000 and I believe about the same to restump (re-site) them. Main problem is finding the land that will allow you to put one on. All the estates have covenants upon what you can build and they recognise that the Brick and Tile suburbia brigade dont want a old restump next door. So you need to find one off land, not a problem in the country, acerage but a bit of a worry if you fancy the suburbia or the city. As for the quality, its up to the purchaser to check it out. a lot are old shacks, but you get the odd original Queenslander type so with a lot of work can be really lovely.
Old May 5th 2003, 6:17 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Grub
God your miserable some of you!! I love our new house and it's better than we could have ever dreamt of in the uk. And i can afford not to work so i see my son and the new one into primary at least!! (I was f/t in UK).

I hope PB you are a UK millionaire otherwise you will be sorely dispapointed if you think Padbury and my new pad is a dive!!! I think it's perfect heaven.

BTW- BB has just discovered that after his flight his bogies are really hard- he just sniffed and 'nearly took his throat out'!! Oh- how lovely to have them here at last!!
Been there done that , Padbury is very low down my list of places to live I do know where in Padbury you have bought and it is very cheap to buy in there for a good reason.
Most people with any idea would not jump before knowing how deep the water is , your new pad was hard to sell 9 years ago when we looked around the area and little better now.
The estate agents we went though had loads of less than average homes on its books much the same so we found our own , rule of thumb is they push the crap onto new Poms.
If you want to live in a place like Padbury at lest pick the best part of it like Hepburn Hights or Pinneroo , sorry you have been sold pup.

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 5th 2003 at 6:20 am.
Old May 5th 2003, 8:03 am
?????????

paulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of lightpaulf is a glorious beacon of light

Hehe, PB you,re cruel, you,ll be calling him `GREEN` next.
Old May 5th 2003, 9:01 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Grub

I think your new house looks beautiful and thanks for sharing it with all of us. We have been waiting 20 months for our visa and its nice to see someone clearly enjoying getting theirs!
I hope the "negatives" havn't managed to p*ss on your bonfire too much, just think off all that time spent with your kids and enjoy it, cos life is too short to sit back and dream.
good luck
Heather
Old May 5th 2003, 9:21 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Good on yer Grub.....

Your doing well for yourself and your family and that is what you must think of.. As long as your,e all happy with life then you,ve picked a winning ticket my friend... Keep it going and enjoy it to the fullest and 100% good luck and best wishes to you...

Cheers
BooBoo
Old May 6th 2003, 1:44 am
Banned

pommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond reputepommie bastard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE]Originally posted by h garrett

I think your new house looks beautiful and thanks for sharing it with all of us. We have been waiting 20 months for our visa and its nice to see someone clearly enjoying getting theirs!
I hope the "negatives" havn't managed to p*ss on your bonfire too much, just think off all that time spent with your kids and enjoy it, cos life is too short to sit back and dream.
good luck
Heather
Small tip come with your eyes wide open there are good areas and some good homes around , but the estate agents will treat you like a mug if straight off the boat .
Do jump into a pup like Grubs before you know the market and areas , rent first and give yourself time understand what is worth buying and what is hard to sell.
Most suburbs are just vast housing estates some good some bad and some like Padbury a mix of average and dated homes like Grubs , you will move as you tire of an area and its important to buy in a good spot inorder to get a good return.
The houses that are a good buy here are old federation style in older inner city suburbs not cheap but give a good return , the 1970-80 build them cheap in dark brick are lead ballons.

Old May 6th 2003, 2:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Grub is an unknown quantity at this point

As much as I hate to rise to the bait PB i really cant understand why you think we have picked such a poor area. We live 2 mins from Whitfords which is great for sports and shopping, we have a park at the end of the road, the street is a dead end so no traffic and really safe for K, we have superb ocean views, we are also 5 mins from Hillarys boat harbour amongst other glorious beaches and then 20 mins from the city and 10 to Joondalup. There is no smell where we are btw. The suburb has also been rising steadily in price by 15% per annum. I fail to see what in this description neccessitites a dump??

Confused.......................................... ................
Old May 6th 2003, 2:52 am
Banned

As much as I hate to rise to the bait PB i really cant understand why you think we have picked such a poor area. We live 2 mins from Whitfords which is great for sports and shopping, we have a park at the end of the road, the street is a dead end so no traffic and really safe for K, we have superb ocean views, we are also 5 mins from Hillarys boat harbour amongst other glorious beaches and then 20 mins from the city and 10 to Joondalup. There is no smell where we are btw. The suburb has also been rising steadily in price by 15% per annum. I fail to see what in this description neccessitites a dump??

Confused.......................................... ................
Thats very fair points but holds no water in Perths market , Padbury , Beldon and Craigie are pretty much the same .
The thing no one explained to you was that if you want to make money in the Northern suburbs get the right side of the Marmion which Padbury is not.
The suburb has hardly moved in years the figure you quote is because better higher price homes have been built and sold in Hepburn Hights and the Pinneroo side which moves the average sold price up , the rest is very slow to move and still cheap .
Open your eyes and look around the best you could call most of Padbury is tired , take a look at the newer suburbs the quality of housing has moved on since the brown brick days .
Try this site and plot Padbury compared to Hillarys or any other suburb beach side even Joondalup.

Having lived in Padbury I would say its on its way down rather than up never a top spot , there is a snob thing here as the UK and most would not get excited about telling others about your area , sorry I would bet that once your life be comes settled you wil move and thats when it comes home to you .

The likes of Iluka has doubled in 3 years you could have built a home there 4 years ago for $200k and expect $500k now ,had you spent that in Padbury try $300k.

http://www.aussiehome.com/trendcharts/

Last edited by pommie bastard; May 6th 2003 at 3:07 am.
Old May 6th 2003, 3:19 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

Originally posted by Megalania
My weekender on a coolish day:

That is sooooo good........
Old May 6th 2003, 3:22 am
Banned

Originally posted by jeannie
That is sooooo good........
Built by the same cowboys who built my last home , looks like its the same beach just a higher standard of constrution.

Old May 6th 2003, 3:23 am
BE Enthusiast

jeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant futurejeannie has a brilliant future

I like your house..... love the tile roof they last for ever!!!!!!!!.