Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Old Sep 29th 2010, 8:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Originally Posted by Seneca21
The weather is hard work there, for sure. Seven months are essentially winter months, and this means that 7/12 of your life is spent in the winter. Or 58% if you prefer a percentage.
Are you being serious? Must be a very strange definition of winter.

The weather in SE England may not be reliably great, but the seven-month winter thing I keep reading about on here is clearly a crock (invented by people looking to convince themselves they have made/are about to make the right move, perhaps?)
Old Sep 29th 2010, 10:49 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Is it worth uprooting from what you know to take a chance on Austrialia ?

Yes. Best thing I ever did. Wish I came here sooner.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Exile
Are you being serious? Must be a very strange definition of winter.

The weather in SE England may not be reliably great, but the seven-month winter thing I keep reading about on here is clearly a crock (invented by people looking to convince themselves they have made/are about to make the right move, perhaps?)
The UK winter weather is basically longer and colder - no two ways about it and like Melbourne, and even Perth and Sydney, feeling cold is not just limited to December - February or the equivalent.

Some people really do seem to want warmer weather and Australia offers an improvement in that department, wherever they go, make no mistake! All this 'convincing themselves' is a tired old argument - and seems to run more with the people who have regretted the move - in any case, it goes against my tacit belief in self-determinism for the individual which I see as a privilege... People will move if they really want to. If they regret it - it's their outlook.

Originally Posted by Steve2009
Most definitely Cashed Up Bogans (CUBs) if it's Southport on the Gold Coast. The old money is on the Sunshine Coast or in Whitsundays.
My money is old. I found an old 50 dollar plastic note under my mattress last night. The more tight-fisted I am, the older it gets.
Old Sep 29th 2010, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Exile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond reputeExile has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=BadgeIsBack;8884145]
Some people really do seem to want warmer weather and Australia offers an improvement in that department, wherever they go, make no mistake! All this 'convincing themselves' is a tired old argument - and seems to run more with the people who have regretted the move - in any case, it goes against my tacit belief in self-determinism for the individual which I see as a privilege... QUOTE]

I think most people would accept that Australia tends to have warmer weather for longer, but why go to the extent of claiming there is a seven-month winter in SE England? It's not bloody Narnia.

Sounds to me like it has more to do with self-deception than self-determinism.