Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

worth to try Australia?

worth to try Australia?

Old Dec 28th 2013, 4:55 am
Just Joined

robbyls is an unknown quantity at this point
Default worth to try Australia?

I am dual PR for both Canada and Australia and currently I am in Toronto. I work for a big bank here with decent pay. I have lodged citizenship application and my OZ visa is about to expire.

Lucky I got an offer from a big bank from OZ recently. It is a similar one to my current job. I am wondering if I should give it a try or just simply let the PR expire.

My family are in Toronto as well. I have my wife and two kids. The kids are Canadian already. I don't like the winter here, very cold and long. last week we had ice storm which left us no water no power for a few days.

The incentive to go to OZ is to get warmer climate and potentially I can get dual citizenship for both canada and Australia. Is that a good reason enough to make a move?
Old Dec 28th 2013, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: worth to try Australia?

Originally Posted by robbyls
I am dual PR for both Canada and Australia and currently I am in Toronto. I work for a big bank here with decent pay. I have lodged citizenship application and my OZ visa is about to expire.

Lucky I got an offer from a big bank from OZ recently. It is a similar one to my current job. I am wondering if I should give it a try or just simply let the PR expire.

My family are in Toronto as well. I have my wife and two kids. The kids are Canadian already. I don't like the winter here, very cold and long. last week we had ice storm which left us no water no power for a few days.

The incentive to go to OZ is to get warmer climate and potentially I can get dual citizenship for both canada and Australia. Is that a good reason enough to make a move?
Depends on what your expectations are

Decent money is different to many people, and after that is the reality of work challenges and the step after Australia.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 10:33 am
Just Joined

well, the income is about the same after factoring in the difference of cost living. I would make 50% more in Melbourne.

I am expecting warmer weather and similar education quality of Toronto for kids. If those are met, we probably stay in OZ and depends on what my kids prefer, they can choose between Canada and Australia, or even US after grown up.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 7:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

I assume you and your family have validated your Oz visas when you got them?

How does your family feel about moving again? That is an important consideration.

If you kids are still young, they'll adapt quite easily and they'll get a decent education here. You'll also be giving them the option of another two countries (Oz & NZ) to live in when they have grown up, if they so wish.

If you've got nothing to lose and you'll be better (or just as well) off financially etc... I would certainly give a go.
Old Dec 28th 2013, 7:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

You said try. Anything is worth a try
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:00 pm
Just Joined

One worry I have is I always suspect that we might need to move back because I have heard the public schools can't compare with the ones in Canada and cost of living is twice and even higher than that of Canada. In addition, most people told me that outlook of Australia might not be as good as Canada. If I would need to move back later on, I am hesitated to move at the first place...
Old Dec 29th 2013, 12:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

One worry I have is I always suspect that we might need to move back because I have heard the public schools can't compare with the ones in Canada and cost of living is twice and even higher than that of Canada. In addition, most people told me that outlook of Australia might not be as good as Canada. If I would need to move back later on, I am hesitated to move at the first place...
Australian schools are on a par with Canadian schools, but if you are going for public education you need to live in a good area. Cost of living is high in Oz, but so are wages. The minimum wage is double that of Canada. There may need to be a wage level adjustment coming in Australia over the next few years, but I doubt it will be anything too major. Australia's economic future is bright if we can keep the ALP/Greens (political parties)out of power for at least the next decade.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 12:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to beholdMike at Taree is a splendid one to behold

You are referring to the parties who successfully - alone amongst Western Economies - guided us unscathed through the GFC. OK.

The downside of Australian life is the abysmal television, only two major supermarket chains hence high costs of living, and I suspect that compared to Canada, the "tapestry of life" is not as rich. Re the weather, Melbourne in particular can be gruesome during the Summer with massive temperature swings and 40 degree C weather not uncommon. If you are looking for a more even climate similar to Florida USA, Brisbane might be more to your taste.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike at Taree
You are referring to the parties who successfully - alone amongst Western Economies - guided us unscathed through the GFC. OK.

The downside of Australian life is the abysmal television, only two major supermarket chains hence high costs of living, and I suspect that compared to Canada, the "tapestry of life" is not as rich. Re the weather, Melbourne in particular can be gruesome during the Summer with massive temperature swings and 40 degree C weather not uncommon. If you are looking for a more even climate similar to Florida USA, Brisbane might be more to your taste.
That is what the ALP likes to think - simple solution to a complex problem, eh? Australia survived because a) our banks were not affected by the bad debt b) the Reserve bank aggresively cut interest rates c) we already had money in the bank and there was no deficit d) China kept buying our resources (China instigated their own stimulus spending program of building things which meant our natural resources were in big demand)
Canada is a beautiful country but those winters are not pleasant! Melbourne only has a few really hot days each year, nothing to get worked up about! Most of the time it is cold-cool-warm.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 1:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute

If you have doubts mate, then I would advise you to stay were you are, especially as you will be dragging your family with you.

As you say, better schools in Canada, cheaper cost of living and a better economic outlook nationally ...it's a no brainer

Just turn up the heating and kick back and enjoy the good life in Canada
Old Dec 30th 2013, 2:47 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Hino
If you have doubts mate, then I would advise you to stay were you are, especially as you will be dragging your family with you.

As you say, better schools in Canada, cheaper cost of living and a better economic outlook nationally ...it's a no brainer

Just turn up the heating and kick back and enjoy the good life in Canada

Thanks. Actually it is comfortable indoor in Toronto and I think we keep constant indoor temperature - around 22 C all year around, as gas and electricity are pretty cheap. But the winter is really cold, long and a bit depressing. You really can't make any outdoor activities during the winter.

I guess I would pass this opportunity this time and keep observing Australia for a little bit longer time...
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Actually it is comfortable indoor in Toronto and I think we keep constant indoor temperature - around 22 C all year around, as gas and electricity are pretty cheap. But the winter is really cold, long and a bit depressing. You really can't make any outdoor activities during the winter.

I guess I would pass this opportunity this time and keep observing Australia for a little bit longer time...
Canada and Australia seem to come quite similar on most international comparison lists...both good countries to live in. My brother lives there and the winter is grinding him down as well...think it depends whether you like winter stuff or not maybe.

It was brought home to me on facebook earlier this year...we posted a photo of the kids playing down the local creek in our Autumn in Australia...he posted one back of his street at the same time...ie Canadian springtime.

Australia (Brisbane) in Autumn:

Untitled by fish.2, on Flickr

Same time in Canada (near Alberta) in Spring:

SpringInAlberta by fish.2, on Flickr

Of course this is somewhat location dependent and down to personal preference (and later in Spring it thaws out)...but it certainly sharpened my mind on the decision. Of course for others the decision would go the other way....everyone's different.

They visited us in Brisbane later in the year (late Autumn/early Winter) and we could still bring all the kids to a Brisbane beach and muck around in the water at sunset.

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 30th 2013 at 7:29 am.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:23 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute

The Brisbane PR machine will probably argue but there's not a lot that's fun in Brisbane in Summer because it's too hot to go outside.

Research skin cancer rates in Australia and Canada. Research the cost of flights out of Australia and Canada.

If your kids aren't old enough to be in school and you have a job lined up in Australia, why not just pop by long enough to get citizenship and have the experience.

At least you'll know what you're (not?) missing when you go back to Canada.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee
The Brisbane PR machine will probably argue but there's not a lot that's fun in Brisbane in Summer because it's too hot to go outside.

Research skin cancer rates in Australia and Canada. Research the cost of flights out of Australia and Canada.

If your kids aren't old enough to be in school and you have a job lined up in Australia, why not just pop by long enough to get citizenship and have the experience.

Agree, summer is the worst season in Brisbane but the rest of the year more than makes up for it weather wise imo. Saying that there is still lots for my kids to do in summer most days as bad days come and go and obviously by avoiding the worst parts of the day you can still get out quite a lot in mornings and afternoons.

This morning from 9am-11:30am we met with 3 families at the local park and all the kids played together. At the end we brought them to a little kiddie bike track they like then we all rode back to ours for a swim. Nap then for the little one and inside play for the older one until later in the afternoon when it cooled down.

Last edited by fish.01; Dec 30th 2013 at 7:54 am.
Old Dec 30th 2013, 7:52 am
BE Enthusiast

TheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond reputeTheCreature has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brissybee

Anybody choosing Canada over Australia, for climate reasons, has lost the plot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.