Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

IS IT WORTH TAKING MY LANDCRUISER?

IS IT WORTH TAKING MY LANDCRUISER?

Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light
Smile IS IT WORTH TAKING MY LANDCRUISER?

HI TOYOTA LAND CRUISER PRADO IMPORT FROM JAPAN, LOADS OF THEM OVER THERE IN OZ, THE DIESEL ONES LIKE MINE ARE FETCHING TREBLE WHAT MINES WORTH,ACCORDING TO THE WEB SITES, 99 T REG. ABOUT 7 GRAND HERE. WORTH TAKING OR TOO MUCH HASSLE? WHAT U RECKON? THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old Jul 6th 2008, 10:51 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: IS IT WORTH TAKING MY LANDCRUISER?

Have a look at this article that I wrote middle of last year. There is an Excel spreadsheet with costs (which are about 9 months old now but still pretty accurate) and how to calculate your real value of the car in the UK, here in Oz and for the highly important Customs Value.

If you come out ahead on the spreadsheet then it's worth considering, but you should know that garages overhear will rarely buy a PI (personal import) from you and that you will also have to bend over backwards for it to pay for the car to be converted to the strict, and sometimes bizarre, Australian safety standards.

Personally, Landcrusiers are like rice at a wedding over here. I wouldn't bother unless you enjoy endless restrictions, requirements and bureaucratic red tape.

Good luck.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:25 pm
Forum Regular

bu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of lightbu1lder is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bigAPE View Post
Have a look at this article that I wrote middle of last year. There is an Excel spreadsheet with costs (which are about 9 months old now but still pretty accurate) and how to calculate your real value of the car in the UK, here in Oz and for the highly important Customs Value.

If you come out ahead on the spreadsheet then it's worth considering, but you should know that garages overhear will rarely buy a PI (personal import) from you and that you will also have to bend over backwards for it to pay for the car to be converted to the strict, and sometimes bizarre, Australian safety standards.

Personally, Landcrusiers are like rice at a wedding over here. I wouldn't bother unless you enjoy endless restrictions, requirements and bureaucratic red tape.

Good luck.
THANKS FOR THAT PAL, I THINK I WILL SKIP TAKING IT OVER, CANT BE ARSED WITH ALL THE RED TAPE.LOOKS LIKE A RITE PAIN. THANKS AGAIN.
Old Jul 6th 2008, 11:37 pm
No Clean Feed

bigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond reputebigAPE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bu1lder View Post
THANKS FOR THAT PAL, I THINK I WILL SKIP TAKING IT OVER, CANT BE ARSED WITH ALL THE RED TAPE.LOOKS LIKE A RITE PAIN. THANKS AGAIN.
Right pain is a good description. Imagine being impaled up the jack with a red hot poker by lots of dodgy looking men in suits eating pies with ketchup. Very Clockwork Orange the whole thing I can tell you.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 1:30 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Bought my landcruiser over and it was the best thing I ever did.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 8:33 am
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

Originally Posted by woody1cruiser View Post
Bought my landcruiser over and it was the best thing I ever did.
Ship better devil you know, as the pounds crap its one thing cost
wise you dont have to exchange .
Sold a UK Range rover after owning it quite a while had no probs selling
A lot of people wish thay had option

Last edited by stariston; Jul 7th 2008 at 8:35 am.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

woody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant futurewoody1cruiser has a brilliant future

Hubby is kicking himself that he didn't bring the range rover as well.

Would have been well worth it for the price we got in UK.

Debs
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:38 am
No Clean Feed

I must say that I am staggered to hear that someone who went through the cost and hassle of shipping their car out here would recommend it to someone else.

Out of interest what Range Rover was it ?

Just taking a 2006 TDV6 Sport as an example, it would fetch ~£39,000 on the UK market (autotrader, etc) and ~£40,000 (~$82,000) on the Australian market (drive.com.au). Assuming an Australian Customs value of $53,000, RORO delivery to the dock in Australia including insurance at ~£1,500, $11,000 Customs Duty & GST, $4,000 Australian compliance and on-road duty and costs that would bring you $15,000 into the red at your door if you sold it the week it was road legal. Not taking into account that the buying might want a discoutn on it being a PI. That's a big loss

I guess each to his own. I would have rather spent the time helping my wife organise shipping the house and spent the money on a local second hand version of the same car.

The one thing I will leave you with is that if you think you want to bring your car out here to make money then forget it unless you 1) really know what you're doing or 2) you have one hell of a unique classic car which the market would kill for. This isn't Vietnam, they have all the cars we do and once you load on top the hassle and cost of shipping it's just not worth it in 99% of cases.

If you want to bring the car out because you love it then go for it, but don't expect to make any/much money. Do it for your love of the car and/or because you banged your head when you were coming home one night and are quite concuss.

Al

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 7th 2008 at 11:46 am.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 12:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

My Landcruiser is an old one. We were only offered £2,500 from someone in UK because of the tax hike to stop people having 4x4's.

As far as the red tape and expense this end, all it needed was child safety brackets fitted. Rego (on road duty and costs) was the same if we had bought a car over here so that is an expense that needs to be taken out of the equation. There was custom duty payable but no where near the price you have quoted.

You also have to take into account that the price you have stated for purchasing a car over here doesn't include the stamp duty levy that you get hit with.

I didn't bring my car over to make money. It was the knowing the history of it and as stariston said, better the devil you know. As it happens, my car is worth a lot more over here as it is equivalent to the Sahara although the valuer missed that.

It is something that needs a lot of consideration but as I said, hubby is kicking himself now as sold his range rover in UK for £1,500 and the same models are selling for over $15,000 here.

Debs
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:18 pm
No Clean Feed

Keep in mind that the Range Rover I used above was just an example. Without knowing the exact Model, Mileage, Year and Condition I can't be any more specific in my guesstimate

That said, I didn't realise that both cars were so old. That would of course change things. The Customs Value of an import is generally valued at around 60% of it's street value because it's based on the official Valuers estimated "As Landed" value of the vehicle on the docs in Australia.

So as a rough estimate for the old Range Rover, guessing at £5,000 resale in the UK (as you husband seemed ripped off for £1,500 I have to assume you feel it's worth much more and had to sell at a loss)
  • Customs Value @ 60% of AU$15,000 (your estimate of the street value of the car here) so the Customs Valuation around ~$9,700
  • Shipping and Insurance (~2% of UK Value) at around £800 on RORO
  • Customs Duty and GST around $2,100
  • Doc/Quarantine/Agent fees of ~$900 (that's assuming theres no dirt/rust for AQUIS to go mad over and screw you for their extremely expensive steam washing)
  • Road Legal Compliance charges (Valuation, VASS, PIP, Roadworthy, Alterations) of ballpark ~$1,200 (this all assumes your dash has Kmph on it as well as Mph, if not that's an extra cost change)
  • On Road costs Registration and 4% Duty (figures from DVLA in Victoria) around ~$1,000
That would make the total fee from UK Doc to car on road in Australia cost at ~£3,900 add that to the UK street value and then deduct the £7,300 you could buy one for here (your figure) and you will have your loss/gain. At a UK street value of £5,000 (which I have guessed at and possibly been generous, you would know better) that means you would lose £1,600 on paper.

Last edited by bigAPE; Jul 7th 2008 at 11:38 pm.
Old Jul 7th 2008, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

stariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to allstariston is a name known to all

[QUOTE=bigAPE;6543187]I must say that I am staggered to hear that someone who went through the cost and hassle of shipping their car out here would recommend it to someone else.

Out of interest what Range Rover was it ?

The Range rover was not shipped with profit in mind ,it was my car
used in the uk ,it is a 1990 Vouge se leather heated seats V8 etc

You may laugh as i am showing my age, But the car is still on the
road and owned by a well known broker of the Sydney futures exchange
and is maintained as new