Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it worth joining the BCS?

Is it worth joining the BCS?

Old Jan 15th 2002, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

remmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really niceremmie1 is just really nice

Is it worth joining the British Computer Society if you do not have a degree but lots of I.T. experience to try to ensure the ACS will recognise your ability?

Old Jan 15th 2002, 11:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

My husband wondered the same thing when we first looked at applying for a visa. He has a degree in Science, which included 4 modules related to computers I think. As he has over 15 years IT experience we decided not to bother applying to the BCS because you still have to apply to the ACS anyway, it just means another set of forms to fill in and more payment. He applied to the ACS through the RPL route and received a positive reply within 3 weeks.
Old Jan 15th 2002, 3:50 pm
Rich

Jacqui,

how far down the track are you now? if complete what is your current situation ie:
where are you settled etc etc... any detail you can divulge would be really helpful

rgds

rich

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

Old Jan 16th 2002, 2:06 pm
Claudio Falcao

remmie1 <[email protected]>
    >
    >

If the only reason you have to join BCS is to help you ACS recognition I believe
you´re wasting good money and time. The guys at ACS are quite fast on their process,
and RPL recognition (which I believe is your case) works just fine as long as you
have minimum documentary evidence.

Cheers

Old Jan 16th 2002, 7:05 pm
Anon E Mouse

I wouldn't bother. The ACS turned my assess. around in 6 weeks. The BCS can take
anything up to 6 months and then you'll need at least 8 years exp before they'll
consider you (or 10 if you don't have a degree) See www.bcs.org.uk and www.acs.org.au
and compare.

Oh, it looks easier to join the ACS BTW

"Claudio Falcao" <[email protected]>
[usenetquote2]> > Is it worth joining the British Computer Society if you do not have a degree but[/usenetquote2]
[usenetquote2]> > lots of I.T. experience to try to ensure the ACS will recognise your ability?[/usenetquote2]
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >