Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Worth contacting NZQA?

Worth contacting NZQA?

Old Apr 25th 2002, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

rich.arlene is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Worth contacting NZQA?

Myself and my partner are both Town Planners and are qualified to work as such in New Zealand. We both completed 4 years of study at university in the UK to obtain a ba degree and a bachelor of town planning. We only seem to qualify for 10 points and nothing for the further year of study. A four year course in New Zealand is worth an extra point. I have contacted the New Zealand Town Planning Institute for advice and they are looking into it. Does anyone feel that in this circumstance it would be worth submitting the qualifications to NZQA? I'm loath to pay $200 and wait eight weeks for nothing. Has anyone successfully gained points in similar circumstances?
Old Apr 27th 2002, 8:00 pm
Phil

Default Re: Worth contacting NZQA?

Hi...

I am submitting my BEng in Chemical Engineering, which is a 4 year course (basic 3
year, with one year in industry), hoping to obtain 11 points instead of 10. For those
of you not familiar, you MUST submit qualifications to NZQA if you want to get more
than 10 points. That's what NZIS told me.

$200 is very bloody expensive, but will make a huge difference in my application - I
can get ANY job, as opposed to skilled work only, and qualify for PR. I figured it
was worth the gamble.....

However, on other forums I have heard NZQA to be really crap - a guy with a 5-year
masters degree from Oxford was only given 10 points, apparently because "no further
study was required" as an honorary masters can be awarded after 7 years at the
university.....so I think they can be quite picky.

I think the big issue is how many points you now have - and whether it is worth a
gamble.....?

Keep in touch with how you get on.....I only sent mine a week ago, so won't be
expecting a reply anytime soon - oh, and add on 2 weeks for postage!!!

"rich.arlene" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
    > Myself and my partner are both Town Planners and are qualified to work as such in
    > New Zealand. We both completed 4 years of study at university in the UK to obtain a
    > ba degree and a bachelor of town planning. We only seem to qualify for 10 points
    > and nothing for the further year of study. A four year course in New Zealand is
    > worth an extra point. I have contacted the New Zealand Town Planning Institute for
    > advice and they are looking into it. Does anyone feel that in this circumstance it
    > would be worth submitting the qualifications to NZQA? I'm loath to pay $200 and
    > wait eight weeks for nothing. Has anyone successfully gained points in similar
    > circumstances?
    >
    >
    >
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com