Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

is it worth buying new furniture and shipping it or getting when we arrive in Perth?

is it worth buying new furniture and shipping it or getting when we arrive in Perth?

Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:28 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: is it worth buying new furniture and shipping it or getting when we arrive in Per

Originally Posted by GunnersCandy
Yes good idea I'm going to see what we are definitely taking then see if a container is required and if so how much space we would have left.
I definitely don't fancy the idea of sharing a container.
Don't see why, many of us have done it, cheaper than having a container to yourself that isn't full, and your stuff is quite safe, companies are well used to deal with shared containers.
Whats your particular concern with it?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice
Default Re: is it worth buying new furniture and shipping it or getting when we arrive in Per

Originally Posted by carolinephillips
Mattresses are horrendously expensive out here - I brought our beds with us, and got extra sheets. The sizes here are different- a Queen bed here is a king size in the UK, and a king here means the bed is so wide you can't touch your partner! Also bring white goods - if yours are nearly new. Ditch them if they are over 5 years old.

If your sofa is old, then get rid of it, but don't buy a new one in the UK. Our furniture filled the rooms in the UK, but here, it looks far too small. However it is Multiyork and Ducal- too good to discard, and we don't have the cash to replace it.
I take it they are more like the American sizes then. I love the massive beds they have, perfect for when my kids jump in with us in the morning lol

White goods? does that mean appliances?

Yes I see where your coming from with sofa, I guess it's because of the open plan living?! I have always wanted a massive corner sofa but don't have a room big enough here.
Are they really expensive in Oz?
Old Feb 12th 2013, 10:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

carolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond reputecarolinephillips has a reputation beyond repute

I take it they are more like the American sizes then. I love the massive beds they have, perfect for when my kids jump in with us in the morning lol

White goods? does that mean appliances?

Yes I see where your coming from with sofa, I guess it's because of the open plan living?! I have always wanted a massive corner sofa but don't have a room big enough here.
Are they really expensive in Oz?
It depends on the quality you want, as it does anywhere, but yes, it is quite pricey unless you go for the dirt cheap stuff that doesn't last. You have to bargain hard and shop in the sales only, unless you have a big budget- especially if you are replacing lots of stuff.

White goods- fridges, freezers, washing machines etc.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 9:15 am
BE Forum Addict

lesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond reputelesleys has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolinephillips

White goods- fridges, freezers, washing machines etc.
Don't bring a cooker. They are considered a fixture here so all houses/rentals will have an oven and cook-top. If you decide to buy new stuff to bring just check the guarantee - it probably won't cover Australia. Have a look here for some idea of prices http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/

If you have any 3kW items (kettle, heater etc) take note that they can overload Aussie 10 amp mains (13 amps in UK).
Old Feb 13th 2013, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

kips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to beholdkips is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by brits1
If it were me and I was taking a container anyway then I would buy in the UK, we found there is more choice, better quality and a better price then we could buy in Perth. If you need new beds though I would buy them in Aus just for the convenience etc. Good luck with the move.
Have to agree. The UK wins down on most goods not just furniture. Cheaper, better quality and definitely more choice.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:12 pm
Forum Regular

GunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really niceGunnersCandy is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Don't see why, many of us have done it, cheaper than having a container to yourself that isn't full, and your stuff is quite safe, companies are well used to deal with shared containers.
Whats your particular concern with it?
Just from reading previous threads, people said they had issues with things been damaged etc

I am such an organised control freak, that i would want a container dropped off to do myself and then they can collect it. Then i only have myself to blame if anything breaks lol

Last edited by GunnersCandy; Feb 13th 2013 at 2:36 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

That's what I was thinking,you can get really nice and very good quality sofas these days for a good price in the UK.
Perth really does not have the choice that NSW and Victoria have hence the price of these type of items are more expensive, so I would still take or buy here (UK), settee's are really no difference in size and not everyone has huge rooms etc in Aus, anyway you can always fill your room with a coffee table etc if you do buy/rent a large home. Also bedding, I love the choice in the UK and the price for the quality is brilliant, Quilts...I took our UK winter ones and they were fantastic in the Perth winter. All the best
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lesleys
Don't bring a cooker. They are considered a fixture here so all houses/rentals will have an oven and cook-top. If you decide to buy new stuff to bring just check the guarantee - it probably won't cover Australia. Have a look here for some idea of prices http://www.appliancesonline.com.au/

If you have any 3kW items (kettle, heater etc) take note that they can overload Aussie 10 amp mains (13 amps in UK).
No all my appliances are integrated so the only thing i have is washer and dryer.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lesleys

Thanks for that will have a look.

Also i noticed when i was last over and bought my sister a new light fitting (that's what she wanted as a thank you gift, plus the fact my Hubby is a spark and could fit it for her lol) i couldn't believe how expensive they were and so little choice.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 2:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by brits1
Perth really does not have the choice that NSW and Victoria have hence the price of these type of items are more expensive, so I would still take or buy here (UK), settee's are really no difference in size and not everyone has huge rooms etc in Aus, anyway you can always fill your room with a coffee table etc if you do buy/rent a large home. Also bedding, I love the choice in the UK and the price for the quality is brilliant, Quilts...I took our UK winter ones and they were fantastic in the Perth winter. All the best
Yes great idea what tog rating? , i do love the stuff from next especially the children bedroom range.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:10 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

remember that bedding sizes are different in OZ compare to UK, EU, USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedding

Furniture, as an example, have a look at freedom furniture online, it gives you an idea what you can get in Perth. My friends and I bought several items.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

LeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really niceLeeWillo is just really nice

I would bring everything you have or can get if I did it all again. The quality is poor unless you pay loads. I found there is no haggling, it seems to be an approcah of 'that's how much it is, take it or leave it'.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 5:58 am
221b Baker Street

Sherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond reputeSherlock Holmes has a reputation beyond repute

Mattresses are expensive here.

Not sure about different bed sizes. I brought a double and a single. The bases, mattresses and bedding are all interchangeable.

This web site gives all measurements. There maybe a couple of centimetres difference, but that's all.

http://www.the-pillow.com.au/resources/bed_sizes.php
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:47 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
remember that bedding sizes are different in OZ compare to UK, EU, USA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedding

Furniture, as an example, have a look at freedom furniture online, it gives you an idea what you can get in Perth. My friends and I bought several items.
LOL thats why most homes has the same furniture in Perth, it brought to mind of when three couples (friends of ours) were building homes at the same time, all decided to buy new lounge suites, on moving in within 4 weeks of each other all had bought the same suites although one had chosen a different colour. One couple lived North of the River, One South and the other couple in the Hills..
Old Feb 14th 2013, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

ShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really niceShoreyM is just really nice

Not that I'm a trendy interior decorator ar anything but I find the styles here boring and bland. The bedroom furniture is ok and you can get good prices, but for sofa's etc I'd buy and bring them with you. There is nowhere in Perth that sells stylish good quality sofas in my opinion. They all look the same and the styles are what the Uk had 10 years ago. Bring light fittings too. Anything remotely modern costs a fortune. Also, bring vases/mirrors/cushions etc. You can get them here but the choice is limited and everyone has the same. Oh, and wallpaper. Am currently trying to buy some for one feature wall and can't believe the choice and prices.
Other than lack of home style the place is fab and we love it. Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.