Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it worth buying a Boat?

Is it worth buying a Boat?

Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:21 pm
Just Joined

Perth NOR will become famous soon enoughPerth NOR will become famous soon enough
Default Is it worth buying a Boat?

Is it worth buying a boat, or will it be just a one hit wonder? We have been thinking about buying one recently but we are wondering do people use it regular enough to warrant paying thousands of dollars.

Has anyone got one but regrets buying it or are they as good as they look when you are sat on the coast looking out at the sea when a boat cruises by?

Also where in Perth are the best places to cruise along for a relaxing trip rather than the rough sea.

Any replies would be helpful.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:32 pm
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth buying a Boat?

Originally Posted by Perth NOR
Is it worth buying a boat, or will it be just a one hit wonder?
I think there's a danger of this yes. It's why I've held off getting one myself. Going to do the courses and rent one a few times before splashing the cash. Arkon (admittedly not upbeat about many things in this country) bought a boat and was bored of it within a very short space of time. That said - we're coastal - and there are much more interesting places to visit than just up and down the same stretch of river.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road

Is it worth buying a boat, or will it be just a one hit wonder? We have been thinking about buying one recently but we are wondering do people use it regular enough to warrant paying thousands of dollars.

Has anyone got one but regrets buying it or are they as good as they look when you are sat on the coast looking out at the sea when a boat cruises by?

Also where in Perth are the best places to cruise along for a relaxing trip rather than the rough sea.

UNless you have sailed before and are very keen to have one then I would say NO. Depending on the boat, it will cost you. Both the boat and the upkeep. ex-work friend had a boat, cost $350k and he spent another $100k maintaining / adding extra options. He sailed EVERY weekend and would sleep out on it. However he didn't have young kids. Him and his wife are now sailing around Australia with a potential to sail the world.

Why not hire one a few times and then decide if you want one. Atleast when you hire one you can try them out and see which one you want.
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Didnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the rough

Hi

My opinion is a big YES!!

We bought our boat about 6 months ago and have been out most weekends on it. Its a slow process learning about the boat and having fun working out the best conditions to go out in (had a few scary moments)!!!

But brilliant fun, it also depends on what you want the boat for and what you will do with the boat, where you want to go!! (ie family crusing, fishing or water skiing or all of these)!!!

We love it and launch the boat out of hillarys (easy boat ramp for the novices) and head up the coast most days the waters are nice and calm.

Try Boatshack in winton rd, joondalup and the guy is called Rod really easygoing and will explain everything and no hard sales!!

Good Luck
Michelle
Old Sep 15th 2006, 11:53 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

My cousin has a fishing boat in Freo, and he uses it every week, without fail! It depends how much you think you will use it! Then half the amount of time and then decide! (must say he gets some amazing squid when he goes out!!!)
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:06 am
Just Joined

Perth NOR will become famous soon enoughPerth NOR will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by shorrock
UNless you have sailed before and are very keen to have one then I would say NO. Depending on the boat, it will cost you. Both the boat and the upkeep. ex-work friend had a boat, cost $350k and he spent another $100k maintaining / adding extra options. He sailed EVERY weekend and would sleep out on it. However he didn't have young kids. Him and his wife are now sailing around Australia with a potential to sail the world.

Why not hire one a few times and then decide if you want one. Atleast when you hire one you can try them out and see which one you want.
I was only thinking of spending around $25000 (not $350K :scared: )
we have hired a couple of times and did enjoy it, but still are undecided.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:08 am
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

I was only thinking of spending around $25000 (not $350K :scared: )
we have hired a couple of times and did enjoy it, but still are undecided.

Seriously my cousin loves his!!! He isn't a big earner and its one of the ways they relax! He loves it, why shouldn't you!?
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:12 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Didnaeseeu
Hi

My opinion is a big YES!!

We bought our boat about 6 months ago and have been out most weekends on it. Its a slow process learning about the boat and having fun working out the best conditions to go out in (had a few scary moments)!!!

Good Luck
Michelle
How long on average do you stay out at sea for Michelle?
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:26 am

cresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond reputecresta57 has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up around boats, nearly every holiday I had as a kid with my folks was a sailing holiday, that was in the cold and wet U.K.or the Continent/Scandinavia.They still have a boat & have spent much of the last ten years sailing around the world on a 40 foot sloop, the lifestyle suits them and the running costs are minimal as most jobs are done by themselves. They left Australia a couple of months ago and have sailed to Indonesia en-route back to the U.K They're anchored in a bay off Kawula at the moment.
I just couldn't justify a sailing boat or a big stink boat here as running costs can be very expensive, I was also uncertain how much time I'd have to actually use it to recoup the costs. I initially settled for a smallish tinnie and find I use it every week without fail, it costs me $20 bucks to fill the tank and cruises along at 35kph not fast when compared to a larger stink boat but my fuel bill is a very small % of my running costs. Don't forget both boat and trailer need registering each year. If your not buying new and are spending big bucks pay for a survey it could save you thousands in repairs for things like osmosis or rotten transoms.
I'd like a slightly larger half cab as that would enable me to dive from it as well as fish slightly further off shore. That will have to wait as it's slightly further down the wish list than a couple of Deb's more pressing desires
Old Sep 16th 2006, 12:49 am
Forum Regular

Didnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the roughDidnaeseeu is a jewel in the rough

How long on average do you stay out at sea for Michelle?
Just depends on what we are doing if the kids and hubby are fishing then sometimes 4 hours or so.

But if we are just going out for a blast up the coast sometimes we just go out for a couple of hours (its the best feeling ever)!!!

Our boat isnt very big (18 ft), but pretty functional for our needs it also has a cuddy cabin so if the kids are bored they will go down there and play games or have a sleep (keeps them out of the sun also)!!

Also it only takes about 15 mins to launch and the same again to retrieve. Make sure your other half is keen though as she will be the one having to jump off the boat with rope in hand when parking at the jetty. Minor arguments are the norm. (lol)

Hubby is off to do his skippers licence next week (should be interesting)

Cheers
Michelle
Old Sep 16th 2006, 7:13 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Its a very personal question mate - for some it will be a one month thrill for others it will be used 3 times a week for 9 months of the year.

My last boat in NZ was used 6 days a week (all weekend from Friday night to Sunday evening - and night cruises during the week )

Be realistic about what you intend doing with the boat (fishing, cruising or water sports). Think about where you would store it - tow it with. Does it fit in with the rest of the family? as it is a big committment and if part of your family are not into the water scene it could become a thorn.

But just think all that freshly caught fish
Old Sep 16th 2006, 7:53 am
BE Enthusiast

don544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond reputedon544 has a reputation beyond repute

hi
would any people from perth be interested in forming a syndicate to buy a boat? i was in one in the uk and it really helps to share the costs.
also does anyone know where to hire a boat in perth from?
cheers
dom
Old Sep 16th 2006, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by don544
hi
would any people from perth be interested in forming a syndicate to buy a boat? i was in one in the uk and it really helps to share the costs.
also does anyone know where to hire a boat in perth from?
cheers
dom
That is worth thinking about. Providing there is a limit to the numbers in the syndicate. I myself would be interested on a boat share thing, although it could cause small problems etc.
Try http://www.jayaway.com.au/ or http://aquasportshire.com.au/ for boat hire.
Old Sep 16th 2006, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cresta57
I grew up around boats, nearly every holiday I had as a kid with my folks was a sailing holiday, that was in the cold and wet U.K.or the Continent/Scandinavia.
I'm with Cresta : I plan on buying a glorified tinny and that will be me.

My sailing experience is limited to Swallows and Amazons books but Mum threw me when I was a kid, and sailing across the Atlantic and around the Caribbean, and up and down the cost of Scotland.

B
Old Sep 16th 2006, 11:45 pm
Baz
BE Enthusiast

Baz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to allBaz is a name known to all

I was told, when i considered buying a boat in the Caribbean, that the best two days you will have with your boat is the day you buy it, and the day you sell it.....take from it what you will!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.