Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it worth bringing over an IS220D diesel lexus to Sydney?

Is it worth bringing over an IS220D diesel lexus to Sydney?

Old Jan 16th 2013, 2:58 pm
Just Joined

Paddywest is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it worth bringing over an IS220D diesel lexus to Sydney?

Hi All,

Sorry just wondering would anyone know where I could get an IS220 Diesel 2007 valued in Sydney?

I got a quote of 7K to bring it over from ireland. Its worth about 10K Euors in ireland but I'm trying to value it in Sydney, however they dont sell the 2.2 model only the 2.5 litre.

Anyone take a guess to what it would be worth.?

Thanks for reading
Old Jan 16th 2013, 4:15 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth bringing over an IS220D diesel lexus to Sydney?

Im not sure of value but why so much to take it over, is that absolutely everything included? You can do roll on roll off from the UK for under £1000. That seems to be a huge amount. At a guess you are probably looking at double in Sydney.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 8:11 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

Since that model was never imported here it would be very difficult to get it valued - value is what someone is prepared to pay for it! IS250's of that year are being advertised om www.carsales.com.au for between $20,000 to $35,000.

Check out http://www.infrastructure.gov.au/veh...tions/pis.aspx for how to go about importing a car.
Old Jan 16th 2013, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

Paddywest is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris955
Im not sure of value but why so much to take it over, is that absolutely everything included? You can do roll on roll off from the UK for under £1000. That seems to be a huge amount. At a guess you are probably looking at double in Sydney.
Heres the quote I got from Iron Lady I think it was. This is all in

--Shipping Costs--

$1,450 Ocean Freight
$123 Freight insurance
$1,500 Customs and dock charges
$1,0 Import Duty
$2,341 GST (similar to VAT)
$0 Luxury Car Tax (LCT)

--Registration Costs--

$750 ADR modifications
$150 Roadworthy requirements
$600 Registration charges
$624 Stamp duty

--Other Costs--

$50 Import approval application
$990 Iron Lady Imports fee (‘A’ package)

What do people think, make sense?
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:14 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Some of those charges seem high which is why I always do this stuff myself and cut out the middle man. If you do roll on roll off the handling charges at the other end are much lower. Not sure about ADR requirements and roadworthy mods, its all stuff you can do yourself. Not trying take work from anyone but it does seem a lot.
Old Jan 17th 2013, 1:39 pm
Hillarys, Perth

h2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond reputeh2oskineil has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paddywest
Hi All,

Sorry just wondering would anyone know where I could get an IS220 Diesel 2007 valued in Sydney?

I got a quote of 7K to bring it over from ireland. Its worth about 10K Euors in ireland but I'm trying to value it in Sydney, however they dont sell the 2.2 model only the 2.5 litre.

Anyone take a guess to what it would be worth.?

Thanks for reading
Probably the most comprehensive break-down of the costs involved.....
http://australia.wikia.com/wiki/Brit...portingYourCar
Old Jan 17th 2013, 6:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paddywest
Heres the quote I got from Iron Lady I think it was. This is all in

--Shipping Costs--

$1,450 Ocean Freight
$123 Freight insurance
$1,500 Customs and dock charges
$1,0 Import Duty
$2,341 GST (similar to VAT)
$0 Luxury Car Tax (LCT)

--Registration Costs--

$750 ADR modifications
$150 Roadworthy requirements
$600 Registration charges
$624 Stamp duty

--Other Costs--

$50 Import approval application
$990 Iron Lady Imports fee (‘A’ package)

What do people think, make sense?
Yep, that is about right. Ours was similar. You could do a lot yourself as Chris says, to save some. I did roll on roll off but didn't worry about the rest. It was all done for me and I just picked up the car 4 weeks later and drove off.

Originally Posted by h2oskineil
Probably the most comprehensive break-down of the costs involved.....
http://australia.wikia.com/wiki/Brit...portingYourCar

Great link!
Old Jul 9th 2013, 8:11 pm
Arrived Oz Oct 2013

Elizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to allElizabeth31 is a name known to all

I have recently sent my car to Oz. It is a Volvo C70 convertible and is 6 years old. It cost $8,818 in total to ship in a container and although it is a lot of money it would have cost a lot more to buy the same car in Oz and as I know the history and reliability of my car it seemed the most sensible option. Below is a breakdown of the costs:

Import Approval : $220.00
Freight London to Brisbane: $3,150.00
Customs Valuation: $385.00
Ozone Clearance: $85.00
Import Duty @5%: $495.00
GST @ 10% of Customs Valuation + freight: $1,360.00
Freight from Bonded Depot/Wharf to Workshop: $187.00
Cost of Compliance: $1,000.00
Freight from Compliance Workshop to Roadworth Workshop: $165.00
Fee for Registration: $242.00
Queensland Stamp Duty: $420.00
6 months Reg plus number plates: $449.35
Service Fee: $660.00

Personally I think you have to weigh up the value of your car in Oz and it would have cost me about $25,000 to buy the same car of the same age.

Hope this helps if anyone else is thinking of taking their car. We used a company called Personal Import Pty. Ltd, based in The Gap, Brisbane and they were very good.
Old Jul 10th 2013, 8:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, it's not so bad actually if the replacement car will cost a lot more here in Oz.

Thanks for the info.