Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is it worth applying for 175 in the midst of the current doom and gloom

Is it worth applying for 175 in the midst of the current doom and gloom

Old Feb 12th 2009, 2:00 am
Forum Regular

tags is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Is it worth applying for 175 in the midst of the current doom and gloom

We nearly have all our documentation in place to apply for the 175 PR visa, but now with all the job losses worldwide, we are wondering whether it's worth the money to apply to go to Australia, if they are going to be in a recession. We don't want to end up without a job in Australia when we get there.....

FYI - Job is Quantity Surveyor, so currently MODL and CSL.... however, in reality, is it REALLY a critical skill required at the moment in Australia? Is there enough building going on? I personally cannot see how, as I'm sure all the Ozzies overseas are going to be returning to their homeland to get jobs.... but please correct me if I'm wrong!

Would love to hear from anyone out there recently, or in the same boat.

Cheers.
Old Feb 12th 2009, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

hk_1 will become famous soon enoughhk_1 will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Is it worth applying for 175 in the midst of the current doom and gloom

Offcourse the situation is not permanent , The world is busy trying to
figure out ways to get out of recession, applying for 175 and actualy
getting a visa takes upto 1 year so who knows what will happen then,
I have recently applied for 175 and I am also concerned about this
question of getting a job but this problem is global at the moment,
besides trust me you will get a job if you are lucky a good job if you
are luckier and a great job if you are luckiest. Luck plays a great great
role in this getting job thing so dont think so much go ahead and apply
if you realy dream to go there
Old Feb 12th 2009, 5:15 am
aka DORIS

wardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond reputewardy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it worth applying for 175 in the midst of the current doom and gloom

If I had a skill like that I would come seems to be loads around in a job like that.

I had a quick look on jobsite and today alone 35 + jobs were advertised

http://www.alljobs.com.au/quantity-s...-1listall.html

I know someone who is nearly 50 stuck his CV on the net and within 2 days someone rang him and offered sponsorship, he has arrived recently.

Good luck with whatever you decide
Old Feb 12th 2009, 8:54 am
Forum Regular

stuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enoughstuart.and.michelle will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Is it worth applying for 175 in the midst of the current doom and gloom

I certainly hope so!!!

We have already paid all the migration agents fees, passed the skills assessment stage and are just gathering the final documents for the final visa application to be lodged with the Oz government. I'm a civil engineer by the way and although different from a QS, having seen and spoken to some people with regards work in and around the Perth area I think you'll be fine.

Can't be worse than in this country can it!!! Most of my mates are sitting at home right noe waiting for other jobs to 'kick off'!!!! I'd say its definatley worth the risk mate!!
Old Feb 12th 2009, 9:13 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

The "current doom and gloom" is world wide and I'd much rather be out of work in the sun than the snow.......What about you?

And by the time your visa is granted the doom and gloom will be gone.

EDIT - is there much building work going on: As far as I can tell around here it has been slow, however house sales do seem to be picking up, and there are more first time buyers buying. It will pick up again in the next 12 months. IMHO
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:13 am
Forum Regular

It's going to take up to a year to get the visa, then another year to validate, then another 2 years to move permanently - the 2 out of 5 year PR return rule (unless laws have changed regarding this, please correct me if I'm wrong) - we have 3-4 years to make the permanent move I suppose.....

Best to have that option I guess.

What is a concern is, that I am sure a lot of skilled Australians will be going back home to find jobs, after losing their jobs overseas. It's happening everywhere, especially, sad to say, in construction!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:41 am
mmmmmm duff

MarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of lightMarkMC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tags
It's going to take up to a year to get the visa, then another year to validate, then another 2 years to move permanently - the 2 out of 5 year PR return rule (unless laws have changed regarding this, please correct me if I'm wrong) - we have 3-4 years to make the permanent move I suppose.....

Best to have that option I guess.

What is a concern is, that I am sure a lot of skilled Australians will be going back home to find jobs, after losing their jobs overseas. It's happening everywhere, especially, sad to say, in construction!
I agree, they are coming home, but the new generation will all be raring to travel once things pick up. Leaving a nice space for you.....
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:56 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

If you can apply now and validate then it might be a good idea.......bear in mind that there is a possibility that quotas for skilled visas will be reduced in coming years as the economic situation deteriorates.

http://www.australianit.news.com.au/...-15306,00.html

A spokesman for Senator Evans said yesterday the 457 program had sharply declined amid worsening financial conditions. "Figures show that application rates for subclass 457 visas in January 2009 are now 30per cent lower than in September 2008, when the economic downturn struck," the spokesman said.

Furthermore, plans to introduce market rates for 457 workers would effectively make them a more expensive option, the spokesman said.

A cut in next year's migration program was also likely, he added.

Not sure if that last statement just refers to 457s or other visas like 175s.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

shirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud ofshirlw has much to be proud of

Tags....sounds like you are trying to talk yourself out of a visa mate or infact getting out of your comfort zone may be an issue.If you really want to get out of UK then you would be proceeding with your application ,no question.Surely it is better to have a visa and not need it than to need it and not have it.....especially for someone with your qualifications.Recessions do not last forever and likewise we should not be coming to a grinding halt in our lives plans.....move on and move up.Good luck however your decision goes.
Old Feb 20th 2009, 9:40 am
not sure...

RedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond reputeRedT has a reputation beyond repute

I would say if you qualify for a visa and are pretty sure you want to make the move then apply. We applied last eyar even though we're not moving until next year as we were worried we might not make the points if the rules changed (we had 120 exactly). So now we have our visa we can sit back and validate this year then save up and move when it suits us (and by hopefully the exchage rate will have gone up!!)

good luck!
Old Feb 20th 2009, 12:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

louie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond reputelouie has a reputation beyond repute

As a QS you are probably reasonably well paid. What's the worst that can happen? You apply and decide not to go. It's cost you say £3,000 but you'll have had five years in which to decide. Your house has probably dropped that much already this month. Go for it but think of it as an expensive insurance policy and decide what to do once you've got the stamp in your passport - or even some years after that..... if you don't do it now, the rumoured changes in the rules/quotas in future years might mean you don't get the chance again.
Old May 17th 2009, 9:03 am
Forum Regular

Thread revisited...

3 months on from the last post - we still haven't done it - should we or shouldn't we?

Are we wasting our time and money?