is it worth it

Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:15 pm
the hancox family

claycox is an unknown quantity at this point
Post is it worth it

is the move to australia worth all the cost and heartake leaving the rest of the family behind.

asyou can probably guess we are in the initial stages of considering the move and would really like any advice you can give promotig the move
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:34 pm
CMR
Forum Regular

CMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the roughCMR is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: is it worth it

A good question. One, I suppose that can't be answered until you actually do it.

I'll be making the move within the next couple of months and I can tell you, the further on in the process you get, the more difficult a prospect it becomes - prepare to have terrible doubts and worries about emigrating, it's only natrual and prefectly understandable.

But whenever I have such doubts I tell myself two things:

1 - not everyone gets the chance to do this - it's would be a crime to squander the opportunity.

2 - I'd rather regret doing it then not doing it. In years to come at least I'll be able to say I gave it a shot.

Best of luck

CMR
Old Jan 24th 2007, 3:44 pm
Gone Senile Member

Sandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond reputeSandra has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CMR
A good question. One, I suppose that can't be answered until you actually do it.

I'll be making the move within the next couple of months and I can tell you, the further on in the process you get, the more difficult a prospect it becomes - prepare to have terrible doubts and worries about emigrating, it's only natrual and prefectly understandable.

But whenever I have such doubts I tell myself two things:

1 - not everyone gets the chance to do this - it's would be a crime to squander the opportunity.

2 - I'd rather regret doing it then not doing it. In years to come at least I'll be able to say I gave it a shot.

Best of luck

CMR
Very very good response.

but on a personal level, NO it may not be worth it.

so

(1) don't squander anything - work out is it a country change you are making cause you need a life change.

(2) be big enough to realise that regrets are part of life and not just a saying on this site about justifying a life changing move.

and if all else fails when making the decision............throw a dart at the map and argue about where it lands

Cheers
Old Jan 24th 2007, 9:48 pm
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

It may not be worth it, no, but until you give it a try you'll never really know. Life is full of taking chances, or risks, or opportunities, whatever you want to call them, some may work, some may not, but it's probably better in the long run to be able to say you gave it a go

Most things aren't irreversiable, even major things like migrating to another country. Even in the worst case scenarios, you can return to the UK, it may just be an expensive, stressful experience to do so!
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:05 pm
Happy migrant

Kapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond reputeKapri has a reputation beyond repute

I worry about this all the time but I'm still doing it.
As others have said - you don't know until you try.
Even if it all goes wrong for me I won't ever regret it because it's an experience I have to have.

Last edited by Kapri; Jan 24th 2007 at 10:06 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I think once the idea is in your head it's hard NOT to do it.

For some it will be the best thing they ever do (was for us) and for other it will be the worst thing they've done. But if you don't try then you'll never know which category you'll fall into.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 10:25 pm
I'm watching YOU...

thpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond reputethpinkpussycat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by claycox
is the move to australia worth all the cost and heartake leaving the rest of the family behind.

asyou can probably guess we are in the initial stages of considering the move and would really like any advice you can give promotig the move

I think that this is a very personal to each person, some here love it and would say yes it was worth but there other who are terribly homesick but are stuck here for whatever reason who would say not.

For us it was worth it and we would not have done it any other way, except maybe come here sooner! My family back in the UK are spread about, Mum up in Bridlington, outlaws in Chester and although we lived close to my brothers did not live in each other’s pockets. I miss them but not enough to regret what we have done and I am looking forward to their visits.

Wherever you are planning to settle do your homework on schools, transport, house prices, shops, pubs, jobs etc.

Read all the post here - the good and the bad to get a balanced view. Australia is not perfect and has some of the same problems as the UK. A very popular saying on here is “ same shit shinier bucket!”

Enjoy the adventure
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:18 pm

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Was for us. Personal decision and nobody can make it for you. Seeing your family only once a year isnt a bad thing sometimes....
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:22 pm
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Crikey, it's such a personal thing this. Like others have said, for some it works and it ends up worth all of the heartache, for others it doesn't and it's not worth it.

You have sewn the seed of "what if" in your heads and you will not rest until you've seen it through. Only by doing it will you discover which catagory of people you fall into.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:27 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, eventually. It's much tougher than I had imagined it would be.
Old Jan 24th 2007, 11:32 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Personal preference. A lot of people come here on holiday and think how lovely it is. The reality of living here, earning dollars is VERY different. As Tracey said, you have planted the idea in your mind now, better to regret coming than to regret not coming. Life is waaay to short to have regrets.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Billabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really niceBillabong is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
Personal preference. A lot of people come here on holiday and think how lovely it is. The reality of living here, earning dollars is VERY different. As Tracey said, you have planted the idea in your mind now, better to regret coming than to regret not coming. Life is waaay to short to have regrets.
Yes, yes and yes!! Life is what you make it.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 1:42 am
Senior Stella Member

Plug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nicePlug is just really nice

Yes, definately do it - BUT - leave yourself an escape route (ie: rent your house out/bring enough dosh to got back etc) if it all goes pear.
Old Jan 25th 2007, 1:50 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

But saying that I know a few people who hated it at first (6 months - 1 year stage) but couldn't move back to the UK for whatever reason, then ended up loving it.

So having an escape route can be a down side because you might go back at the first hurdle.

Originally Posted by Plug
Yes, definately do it - BUT - leave yourself an escape route (ie: rent your house out/bring enough dosh to got back etc) if it all goes pear.