Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Was it worth it?

Wikiposts

Was it worth it?

Old Jan 1st 2006, 10:12 am
Sunshine Coast -Yeepee!!

Vernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond reputeVernons has a reputation beyond repute
Default Was it worth it?

Happy New Year,

So this is my question, was it worth it? The application, the waiting, saying goodbye to family and friends, leaving well paid jobs with security, selling a house you had worked hard to decorate and make a home..........is it worth it?

We are still trying to make our decision whether to apply or not. Tried to make the decision once and for all last night, so to start the new year one way or the other and we are still deliberating. Worried we have a lot to lose if it goes wrong.

Help!
Old Jan 1st 2006, 10:27 am
Raindancer

Athena is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Was it worth it?

Every minute of it. But this was *my* choice.

The fact that you have so many doubts might be an indicator that maybe this choice is not for you...

It *is* a big risk to take, I have left behind all that you have mentioned (except for the house) and I'm not sure, yet, that I will actually make it the way I want.

The thing is, I think, if you feel it in your heart, do it, if you don't, don't do it. There's nothing wrong with that , but in both cases don't let it be a half-hearted decision, 'cause you'll need your full strength as much to face the change as to let go.

Whatever you decide, I wish you all the best
Old Jan 1st 2006, 10:33 am
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vernons
Happy New Year,

So this is my question, was it worth it? The application, the waiting, saying goodbye to family and friends, leaving well paid jobs with security, selling a house you had worked hard to decorate and make a home..........is it worth it?

We are still trying to make our decision whether to apply or not. Tried to make the decision once and for all last night, so to start the new year one way or the other and we are still deliberating. Worried we have a lot to lose if it goes wrong.

Help!
Hiya, if you are able to rent out your place in the UK, then maybe try it...never know until you try..I don't know your job situations but if you can keep some security in the UK then it may help with your decision making...good luck
Old Jan 1st 2006, 10:58 am
BE Enthusiast

kimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud ofkimi has much to be proud of

Happy New Year,

Help!
Hi

Its a decision only you can make, have you made a trip here yet?

We have been here 10yrs, and have never been back not even for a hol. Its the best thing we have ever done.

Kim
Old Jan 1st 2006, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

nadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nicenadders is just really nice

Happy New Year,

Help!
Whatever you decide, you will still have all the same issues with work, family, friends and money to address. Australia seems to be a more relaxed, outdoor living and laid back kinda place than here. They are the main reasons for us. Well, that and the weather. Everything always looks brighter in the sunshine.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

AndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to allAndyD is a name known to all

Happy New Year,

Help!

We left Bristol in November to settle in Perth. It is early days yet, but we are all enjoying it so far. We gave up all the things you listed and more and at this time of year you find yourself thinking of all the friends and family that you have left behind and it can be quite emotional. Also we have just received all our belongings and that too brought back memories of back home and makes you realise the enormity of what we have done. We phoned home to Bristol yesterday and were informed that it was freezing cold, dark and raining - whereas here we had just come back from the beach!

I'm not saying that yet that we have made the right decision, but we can certainly do a lot more here as a family. Only time will tell if it has been worth it. It takes time to build new friendships and familiarity with your surroundings.

If you don't try it, you'll loose the opportunity and then maybe regret it for the rest of your life. That's why we decided to do it last year. Go for it!!

Kim & Andy
Old Jan 1st 2006, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

NickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond reputeNickyP has a reputation beyond repute

For us it has to be YES but it is a very personal thing and only you will know if it is right for you. Before this job came up Ian was looking into anotheer offer which fell through at the last hurdle but at no point could I get really enthusiastic about it. The place was wrong for us and the money would have been very tight (even more so than it is here) it just didn't feel right and I felt releived when it all fell through.
Good luck with whatever you decide, we didn't get the chance to come here first for a visit but if you get the chance then I would say that you need to have a long holiday and try out a few places jut to be more sure that this is what you want to do. It is the same life here in a lot of ways, same housework etc but for us it is a lot better in other ways (we love exploring in the 4WD, swimming in the rivers, the lifestyle is more laid back and less materialistic than in the UK and generally we feel more relaxed here). We have never been comfortable living in a city and so where we are suits us, the only downside is that the sea is a long way away but we will get over that. We have also always moved around a lot so are looking forward to spending a long time in the same area so that the kids can settle a bit more; and because of our constant moves we haven't had the ties to family and friends to overcome to move here as we are used to long distance relationships.

Happy New Year.
Nicky
Old Jan 1st 2006, 12:50 pm
Forum Regular

Unycorne is on a distinguished road

When my husband and i first started to talk about moving to Oz we said that we were going to start a new life and that meant everything including careers. We both ran our own business which we sold and we both said that we would never ever work in those industries again. We both love the leisure lifestyle so we are both reskilling in different aspects of that.

We sold our house and apartment, cars, motorbikes, horses and everthing you can imagine (apart from the dog - he came with us)

We moved here in September and now have a nicer house, nicer lifestlye more friends and social life than we ever did in the UK Speak more to my family now than i did back there as you are aware of the distance and make more of an effort to keep in contact. We are alot happier in our work as we are working for the lifestyle and not for the money.

.......so in answer to your question "is it worth it?" ..hell yes. If you never take a risk you will remain stuck where you are for the rest of your life and if you dont like it then do something about it.......

If you are already talking about it then give it a go. In future years do you really want to be asking yourself the 'what ifs?" and 'if only'. It does takes a special person to move to the other side of the world and it is not always for everyone.

good luck and really hope you give it a go.

michelle
xxx

PS have you been to Oz before?
Old Jan 1st 2006, 1:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

boom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this pointboom_meringue is an unknown quantity at this point

We left Bristol at the end of August, having sold our house and left well paying jobs. Here we have less spare cash but there are other things that more than make up for it. Despite earning half what I did in the UK we can afford a decent size 4x2 in Joondalup, have made some great friends and are enjoying the opportunity to actually get out and do things.

My personal advice would be to look at WHY you want to come. The people I have spoken to who have had a hard time or have returned all seemed to come with unrealistic expectations - if you are skint in the UK you are still going to be skint in Oz, this isn't going to be early retirement unless you have made a wedge on your house.

If it is imprtant to you to be near your family and friends, or you will miss your favourite soaps then perhaps you should rethink your decision to move.

At the end of the day it is no different to moving to a different city in the UK, you have to find a job, somewhere to live and make new friends. The big difference here is the social atmosphere and of course the weather, although it is worth remembering that this isn't the UK with sunshine and things do work differently here.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 3:25 pm
ljj
BE Enthusiast

ljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of lightljj is a glorious beacon of light

Again, personal choice. You don't mention if you have kids?

We came over here without jobs with 2 little ones (that was scary!!), we rented out our house in the UK.

It's scary when you are affecting the kids life as well as your own, and we worried as we didn't want them to be moved around too much.

2 1/2 years down the line we have NO regrets at all. Not been back for a visit even but we've had our share of visitors. We and the children have got a much better life and I think there is more here for them also with regards to opportunities.

It's down to you. if you don't have kids what do you have to lose? Rent out your house, see if you would be able to carry on as before if you returned in a few years.

The only thing I would say is ... if you are having doubts weigh up what they are and if there is a solution.

My inlaws almost came in the 1960's with her mum and brother's family. They didn't and they so regret it and say if they'd at least given it a try they would n't be in their 60's thinking 'what if'. They've been here twice and are now looking into moving here (personally for selfish reasons I hope they don't but that's another story )

It's harder to get in as you get older...

Louise
Old Jan 1st 2006, 4:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

svinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud ofsvinnes has much to be proud of

For me i think it was the best move i have ever made, (so far anyway, only been here 3 months) We didn't have time to think, My Husband got offered the job and within 3 months the house was sold and we were here, Which in a way was good because i just went with the flow.When my hubbie got told he was moving i wasn't going to come, Leaving friends, Leaving family i didn't think i would cope but i actually have got used to my own company.
Hope you make the right choice.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 4:50 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

After 3 months here I would categorically say yes. I love it here. The move is tough, no doubt about that, but it is worth it imo. There is no real culture shock with moving here, I've fitted in really well. Australia has all of the social problems of the UK, some better, some worse. It is not that much cheaper here. The tax is a b*tch. The lifestyle is relaxed, people are friendly. There is just as much materialism as in the UK, & there is snobbery here too, although on a smaller scale. Sure some of the best things are free like the beach & the bush, but a lot of stuff isn't, boats, nice cars, holidays etc. If you come for the pull of Australia & with an open mind you will be fine.

Australia is not for everyone, but it is for me.

Good luck.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond reputejimtrish has a reputation beyond repute

hi, for us, yes, so far the decision was spot on for us coming to such a hot area.
we left all our family, never visited oz before, we left our secure house, jobs etc. we walked straight into a beautiful 5 bed house with a pool, ive got a job and so has jim, our kids are sorted with schooling, its fab.
yes we miss our family, but thats the decision we made.
I agree with the other poster really, if you are having so many doubts, is this really the right decision for you?
Every day, i wake up and know that we made the right decision.The kids are so happy here and we are able to do so much more with our time off as a family, and the beauty is it costs nothing here just to go to the beach etc.
emigrating is a such a personal thing, you have to be 100% certain that you want this life, its not for everyone as im sure you will have read, but for us, well, we wouldnt change this to go back to swindon!
good luck in all you decide to do

Trish
Old Jan 1st 2006, 5:22 pm
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

We came here 17 months ago.

In UK we had a bigger house, 2 cars [as opposed to one here]and both had good jobs, especially me as I was earning fantastic money, with all the benefits.

In Aus we have a smaller house, one car and lousy jobs [not from want of trying ]....but hell yeh......... it's been worth it.

We now have a life!!!

Hard work, pragmatic approach and realistic expectations should see you right

Good luck in whatever you decide to do!

Last edited by phoenixinoz; Jan 1st 2006 at 5:25 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2006, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of lightRabc is a glorious beacon of light

Happy New Year,

Help!

Good question,

We gave up our jobs, family, 90K income, comfort zones, freinds, traffic jams, live and let die society, cold winters, council tax, proper curries and what did we end up with?

Australia and we aint going back!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.